Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

If lot of people are disappointed, it's especially because 2020 was cancelled and they expected to have the same line-up, at least for headliners and other big names. Here, Kendrick Lamar is out, The Strokes seems out, System Of A Down is out, Volbeat is out. So 4 headliners out from the 6 announced. 

36 minutes ago, RubenFrusciante said:

I agree regardings to The Strokes, but they just didn't sell well, and Metallica will.. Rock Werchter is a business.

C'mon, Ruben. The day The Strokes were playing was horrible thus far. Even me as a big Strokes fan would have doubted to buy a day ticket if I hadn't bought a combi ticket. That day needed another headliner the tent headliners. The biggest name announced name in the tents was Archive... 

4 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

C'mon, Ruben. The day The Strokes were playing was horrible thus far. Even me as a big Strokes fan would have doubted to buy a day ticket if I hadn't bought a combi ticket. That day needed another headliner the tent headliners. The biggest name announced name in the tents was Archive... 

I understand and I agree with you on that but you can't deny that with whatsoever day programme, Metallica will sell better than The Strokes. Metallica doesn't need 'another headliner'. From the organization's point of view, it wouldn't be strange to put Metallica there instead of The Strokes. 

1 minute ago, RubenFrusciante said:

I understand and I agree with you on that but you can't deny that with whatsoever day programme, Metallica will sell better than The Strokes. Metallica doesn't need 'another headliner'. From the organization's point of view, it wouldn't be strange to put Metallica there instead of The Strokes. 

I think we more or less understand each other, except for me giving RW the benefit of the doubt in doing such a thing. 

• Upvote 1

I was actually hoping for some smaller/newer metal acts like Architects or Gojira. Is Metallica headlining making them more or less likely?

I do think the festival should look to branch out with the undercard. Get some mix of metal/hip-hop/electro to spice things up and don't just overload with pop/soft-rock/indie which most days usually get on the main stage. If for example there was a decent metal band in the undercard on each day, it would get the SOAD crowd interested anyway and maybe give a chance to Kendrick instead of having to get Metallica to headline to attract those people. Same thing for Kendrick fans if they had other artists over the weekend and not just depending on one name.

Edited by brightside23

3 hours ago, johnybegood said:

I don't know about Belgium, but In Spain a line-up with Pearl Jam, Metallica and RHCP, would sell tons and tons of tickets.

Here in Portugal the festival sold out in two days at most. In 2018, when NOS Alive announced the PJ, the daily and general sales were soon over, we are talking about a venue of 50 thousand people.

Edited by Daniel Ferreira

9 minutes ago, brightside23 said:

I was actually hoping for some smaller/newer metal acts like Architects or Gojira. Is Metallica headlining making them more or less likely?

I do think the festival should look to branch out with the undercard. Get some mix of metal/hip-hop/electro to spice things up and don't just overload with pop/soft-rock/indie which most days usually get on the main stage. If for example there was a decent metal band in the undercard on each day, it would get the SOAD crowd interested anyway and maybe give a chance to Kendrick instead of having to get Metallica to headline to attract those people. Same thing for Kendrick fans if they had other artists over the weekend and not just depending on one name.

For last year, @Ken19 said the festival were in negociations with Gojira but finally they booked the Ancienne Belgique (2000 tickets sold in 10 minutes). For 2021, they are back at Graspop. I won't be surprised if Gojira play at RW in 2022. Same for Architects. Their new album will be more in rock vibes and they have a great success now to play early on Main Stage. In 2019, RW booked Parkway Drive. It would be great for RW to bring a few more heavy acts... but sad for GMM.

21 minutes ago, mashinko said:

That new headliner, will they play other rock festivals like Nova Rock, Rock Am Ring, Download...? 

These festivals already have all their headliners. Only a few major festivals have to confirm at least one more headliner: PinkpopGraspop... who else?

Seems this headliner won't be playing lot of other festivals. 

Edited by Archi

Just now, Archi said:

These festivals already have all their headliners. Only a few major festivals have to confirm at least one more headliner: PinkpopGraspop... who else?

Roskilde, Opener? But those 2 will (hopefully) confirming Kendrick Lamar (for Roskilde) and The Cure (for Opener). NOS Alive also needs to confirm Kendrick I think. Glastonbury is a bit mysterious atm. Taylor Swift dropping another new album tonight makes me think she'll do the odd show. 

But what is this awful talk about The Strokes not returning? They're playing Roskilde on saturday of RW so they are definitely around. It's the most important band on the lineup for me.

1 hour ago, Archi said:

Seems this headliner won't be playing lot of other festivals. 

Lollapalooza Stockholm (same weekend as RW) also has only one headliner announced, Pearl Jam. The Killers, Post Malone and Kendrick Lamar also were supposed to play 2020 edition, don't know if promoters will keep all of them for 2021.

23 minutes ago, Archi said:

I missed a few festivals indeed! About Metallica, they could tour 2 Summers in a row. In 2021, only make stadiums and give 2-3 festivals an exclusivity like Rock Werchter and then do a festivals tour in 2022.

Stadium shows in the first half of 2021 seems a bit optimistic. Not in the last place because of the EC football. 

9 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Stadium shows in the first half of 2021 seems a bit optimistic. Not in the last place because of the EC football. 

Big shows in stadium. Big shows in festival. Big shows in arena. It's difficult to imagine all of them right now for Summer 2021 anyway. Some for the Euro. It was just an idea :) 

22 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Curious about the headliner. I guess Metallica since they have headlined before. Maybe its something crazy like Rolling Stones😉

I'm guessing a non European act who doesn't want the large outlay of doing their own dates just in case it goes tits up again. ACDC makes sense. 

Or what about... 

Screenshot_20201210_173219_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by DDave

4 minutes ago, DDave said:

I'm guessing a non European act who doesn't want the large outlay of doing their own dates just in case it goes tits up again. ACDC makes sense. 

Or what about... 

Screenshot_20201210_173219_com.android.chrome.jpg

Is there so much of a significant overlap between Springsteen and SOAD fans though? Clues so far make me think its going to be Metallica

1 hour ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

Can anyone tell me the festivals that are on the same weekend as RW?
- Roskilde 
- Open'er 
- Beauregard festival
- Lollapalooza Stockholm
- Main Square Festival 
- Bologna Sonic Park
- OpenAir St. Gallen
- ???????

Eurockeeness, Longitude and British Summer Time, but it's hard to name it as a typical festival. Also there is no confirmation for mentioned weekend here. For 2020 they had Kendrick, Post Malone and Little Mix as headliners for our weekend if I'm not mistaken