Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

I've serious doubt about Royal Blood co-headline a festival like Rock Werchter... If they add a co-headliner to the RHCP, it should be a bit bigger or in a different style. And for Friday headliner, as it's a kind of metal act like said @Ken19, I only see Metallica.

Thursday: Pearl Jam - Pixies - The Lumineers - Rag'n'Bone Man...
Friday: Metallica - Faith No More (?) - The Streets...
Saturday: Gorillaz - Twenty One Pilots...
Sunday: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Royal Blood - Placebo (?)...

What about Kings Of Leon as co-headliner on Sunday? Rock Werchter love them...

24 minutes ago, Archi said:

Thursday: Pearl Jam - Pixies - The Lumineers - Rag'n'Bone Man...
Friday: Metallica - Faith No More (?) - The Streets...
Saturday: Gorillaz - Twenty One Pilots...
Sunday: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Royal Blood - Placebo (?)...

Sorry, but this looks bland as hell. 😅 With all due respect for each act here, but this looks like 4 days of TW Classic tacked onto each other. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, lighthouse said:

Sorry, but this looks bland as hell. 😅 With all due respect for each act here, but this looks like 4 days of TW Classic tacked onto each other. 

Agree 100%. And not looks fresh at all. Not fan of a line-up like this. Just try to figure out how the line-up could be! I just hope the Sunday won't be too good as I'm a RHCP fan but can't be there :) 

25 minutes ago, Jefferke said:

Royal Blood was 3th down in 2017, before James Blake (fixed co head of RH) and Radiohead. They went on to co-headline Pukkelpop with Tame Impala. New album on the way, single goes well in Belgium. No they co-headline (or sub whats in the name) that sunday i suppose. 

Didn't notice such a success here. And they headlined Lotto Arena (8000p) in November 2017. Not the SportPaleis yet - like the RHCP - but still a great one indeed.

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Isn't that the way large festivals are going in 2021? Guaranteed sales, 2021 perhaps not a good year to take a risk.

Mad cool for example.

6 minutes ago, Scarnic said:

The stadium rock band won't be Aerosmith, announced Friday 2nd July in Sheffield, UK.

Although they don't play anywhere on Saturday or Sunday, they are heading to play Poland on Monday.

Realistically, no.

They are playing Graspop, and they are not a stadium sized band. 

37 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

I don't know about Belgium, but In Spain a line-up with Pearl Jam, Metallica and RHCP, would sell tons and tons of tickets.

I'm Belgium as well. But in the bigger picture this would be a bad move. As a festival, you want to keep attracting younger audience. Werchter already has a problem of having a quite old audience, and with this you're making it worse. 

Plus it's not very nice towards the people who bought tickets for the 2020 edition. Only PJ are recovered then. I know SOAD was out of their control and Kendrick was just bad luck... let's see how things turn out. Can't believe that RW intentionally disses one of their 4 main headliners. 

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I'm Belgium as well. But in the bigger picture this would be a bad move. As a festival, you want to keep attracting younger audience. Werchter already has a problem of having a quite old audience, and with this you're making it worse. 

Plus it's not very nice towards the people who bought tickets for the 2020 edition. Only PJ are recovered then. I know SOAD was out of their control and Kendrick was just bad luck... let's see how things turn out. Can't believe that RW intentionally disses one of their 4 main headliners. 

Belgian young people have Pukkelpop, a 60k people per day festival only 7 weeks after RW and a line-up with lot of hip-hop, new headliners and lot of electronic music. Why would Werchter want to become a PKP big brother?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Belgian young people have Pukkelpop, a 60k people per day festival only 7 weeks after RW and a line-up with lot of hip-hop, new headliners and lot of electronic music. Why would Werchter want to become a PKP big brother?

Pukkelpop was once a must-visit festival for me. It hasn't been that way for a long time because of the line-ups. The ticket sales also are a sign that such a line-up does not work if they want to sell out. Plus, add the fact that younger people tend to drag along all their food and drink to the campsite, and the organisation is missing out on a lot of consumptions on the festival site.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

PKP is positioned very badly on the calendar for a lot of younger people. I would say Dour will become (or already is) the number 1 festival for belgian youth.

Imo, Dour should be allowed to grow and book more and larger bands (Tame Impala, Kendrick and stuff like that) if Werchter can't succeed with these kind of headliners. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Question : WHY a younger audience is "better" than an older one .. ? For example : I'm 35, and last year with some friends, we spent a lot (a lot!) of time with different young people, around 22-23 years old. Well, at 1am they were in their tent, and trust me, they didn't drank that much during the fest' ...

So I completely disagree with people who say "the younger you are, the more you party and drink". Clearly not, the 2019 festival season show me that "my" generation party and drink way more ... AND THIS PEARL JAM - METALLICA - RHCP would be AWESOME ! It wouldn't be a "bad idea" as some people say here. Actually it would even make me reconsider going to RW instad of another fest' at the same time...

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, The Black said:

Pukkelpop was once a must-visit festival for me. It hasn't been that way for a long time because of the line-ups. The ticket sales also are a sign that such a line-up does not work if they want to sell out. Plus, add the fact that younger people tend to drag along all their food and drink to the campsite, and the organisation is missing out on a lot of consumptions on the festival site.

Agree 100%.

1 minute ago, EV123 said:

PKP is positioned very badly on the calendar for a lot of younger people. I would say Dour will become (or already is) the number 1 festival for belgian youth.

Imo, Dour should be allowed to grow and book more and larger bands (Tame Impala, Kendrick and stuff like that) if Werchter can't succeed with these kind of headliners. 

Only if the act is affordable. The bands you name costs a lot of money, and that is not what Dour wants. They don’t need those acts.

38 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I think you underestimate the younger audience. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

There's a huge gap between Pukkelpop (that pretty much only books stuff for a younger audience) and this would-be lineup RW lineup, that is dominated by old 90's throwback headliners. I think RW is well aware that they most think of the future, and I don't think turning into a retro festival is one of their goals. 

Rock Werchter and Pukkelpop are 2 really different festivals. And lots of young people can not attend Pukkelpop because of examens at this period. I missed the festival for many years because of this. About Rock Werchter, they book lot of old headliners. Since a few years, they're a bit in the same situation as the Graspop: in needs of new/fresh/younger headliners. Bands get old. Audience get old.

• Upvote 1

It's not like young people only want to see acts like Kendrick Lamar, Tame Impala, Billie Elish etc. There are many young festival goers who want to see Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam most likely because they were too young to see them earlier. Or just because they just prefer Pearl Jam over Kendrick Lamar, yes they exist...

I do think Rock Werchter wants to attract a younger audience, but this year, a year completely different than others, they will seek for guarantee ticket-sellers. The Strokes and Kendrick Lamar didn't, so it's completely understandable that RW will book those rock names (this year) instead.

• Like 2

Just now, RubenFrusciante said:

It's not like young people only want to see acts like Kendrick Lamar, Tame Impala, Billie Elish etc. There are many young festival goers who want to see Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam most likely because they were too young to see them earlier. Or just because they just prefer Pearl Jam over Kendrick Lamar, yes they exist...

I do think Rock Werchter wants to attract a younger audience, but this year, a year completely different than others, they will seek for guarantee ticket-sellers. The Strokes and Kendrick Lamar didn't, so it's completely understandable that RW will book those rock names (this year) instead.

Of course they exist. There's surely a lot of younger people that love, for instance, RHCP (;-)). But let's face it: if these 3 are indeed you main headliners, you better prepare yourself for a huge raise in age on the field. People who camp in front of the main stage, picknick blankets on the ground.

And no: intentionally not booking The Strokes and Kendrick, when they are around, is not OK. It shouldn't be 'understandable'. And to be fair, I don't believe RW is that low-hearted. Like Ken said, Kendrick was an accident. They tried a lot of options to rebook him. Of course you need a PJ and RHCP for the ticket sales, but it's the more special headliners like The Strokes or Kendrick that make the lineup shine. Werchter is not Pinkpop. 

4 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Of course they exist. There's surely a lot of younger people that love, for instance, RHCP (;-)). But let's face it: if these 3 are indeed you main headliners, you better prepare yourself for a huge raise in age on the field. People who camp in front of the main stage, picknick blankets on the ground.

And no: intentionally not booking The Strokes and Kendrick, when they are around, is not OK. It shouldn't be 'understandable'. And to be fair, I don't believe RW is that low-hearted. Like Ken said, Kendrick was an accident. They tried a lot of options to rebook him. Of course you need a PJ and RHCP for the ticket sales, but it's the more special headliners like The Strokes or Kendrick that make the lineup shine. Werchter is not Pinkpop. 

I agree regardings to The Strokes, but they just didn't sell well, and Metallica will.. Rock Werchter is a business.

I just don't see the problem if it happens only this year, due to the pandemic. Just a guarantee tickets will sell good. Why can't they have PJ, RHCP, Metallica this year and next year a mix of rocknames together with acts like Kendrick, Billie Eilish, Tame Impala andso? Is it because you are so pissed about this year's line up, that you eventually won't consider go to RW2022?

The option to save your credit for RW2022 won't be there for no reason. ;)

And repeating endlessly 'Kendrick and The Strokes make the line up shine', just your opinion..

• Upvote 1