Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

23 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

The big Friday headliner will it not be. They want to announce all their dates the same moment. 
I’m not sure about the strokes, you can not put them together with this new Friday headliner. Curious how this will work out. 

Not re-booking one of your 4 main headliners on purpose would be a new low for this festival for me. I can't believe RW would be so ungraceful to their fans. 

30 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Before the 15th you had to apply for a refund. So it was always the intention to announce something before this date. But they are still not sure if this will be the right move. 

The big Friday headliner will it not be. They want to announce all their dates the same moment. 

I’m not sure about the strokes, you can not put them together with this new Friday headliner. Curious how this will work out. 

That sounds like a potential SOAD - replacement act. Plus the idea that the headliner wants to announce all at same time makes me think it's a really big fish. Guns n Roses or Metallica would be my guess (with a preference for the latter). Other possibilities would be big rock act à la Foo Fighters maybe ?

2 minutes ago, polnico said:

That sounds like a potential SOAD - replacement act. Plus the idea that the headliner wants to announce all at same time makes me think it's a really big fish. Guns n Roses or Metallica would be my guess (with a preference for the latter). Other possibilities would be big rock act à la Foo Fighters maybe ?

Guns N Roses and Foo Fighters already have European dates for next summer. Agree with the same logic but think more Metallica or AC/DC as they have nothing announced yet so more likely to drop it all at once.

1 minute ago, polnico said:

I think we can rule out both Guns n Roses and Foo Fighters as they've announced their 2021 european dates already. Metallica looks like the strongest opportunity, but it could also be AC/DC

Besides the fact that I was really hoping for The Strokes to return...now I'm really curious WHO this headliner will be. We can cross out MUSE as well since @Ken19 stated this artist/band want to announce all dates at the same time, and Muse are already scheduled throughout the June/July period

So...it's not SOAD, GD, FF, Muse, Rammstein, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Iron Maiden, KoL or The KIllers AND they're supposed to fill the SOAD Void

I'm really curious

2 hours ago, Ken19 said:

Before the 15th you had to apply for a refund. So it was always the intention to announce something before this date. But they are still not sure if this will be the right move. 

Tin the RW is not very interested in the disclosure of new names at this time of Christmas and in which the daily cases of covid do not exceed 3 thousand daily. So were the latest publications a sign of hope or are they waiting for the vaccine to start spreading?

Ken said here we will have a stadium name to replace SOAD, but I do not believe that this name will be on the same RHCP day, so we have an extra day or we have that stadium name on Friday. I leave here my opinion:

Wednesday - (Metallica) 

Thursday --->    Pearl Jam - Pixies - The Lumineers 
Friday --->   (THE STROKES ) - (TAME IMPALA) - ALT J
Saturday ---> GORILLAZ - 21P    - (Liam Gallagher)
Sunday ---> RHCP - - (FAITH NO MORE) - (PLACEBO)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

Ken said here we will have a stadium name to replace SOAD, but I do not believe that this name will be on the same RHCP day, so we have an extra day or we have that stadium name on Friday. I leave here my opinion:

Wednesday - (Metallica) 

Ken confirmed today that this stadium rock band will play on Friday, and Strokes wont play this day.

So if there is an extra day on wednesday, The Strokes should headline it.

4 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Ken confirmed today that this stadium rock band will play on Friday, and Strokes wont play this day.

So if there is an extra day on wednesday, The Strokes should headline it.

Is it so then?  ;) 

Wednesday -  (THE STROKES )

Thursday --->    Pearl Jam - Pixies - The Lumineers 
Friday --->    - (Metallica) - (FAITH NO MORE)  - ALT J
Saturday ---> GORILLAZ - 21P -  - (Liam Gallagher)
Sunday ---> RHCP - - (TAME IMPALA)  - (PLACEBO)

5 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

Wednesday - (Metallica) 

Sounds good. Too good to be true actually. The Strokes and Tame Impala is one hell of a combination. And on wednesday you can easily avoid Metallica if you only pick the 4 days. 

If the friday band turns out to be a big rock/metal band, I hope that Werchter thinks of putting Alt-J in the Barn (or any outdoor alternative stage they might come with bc of Covid), so as not to face the same issues of Alt-J pre FF in 2017. I remember that half the crowd was basically waiting for the Foo and talking a lot, which made the show not as great as I would have hoped for.

WED: Metallica (smaller programme, like Ken hinted)
THU: War On Drugs – Pearl Jam (Pixies moves to the Barn, after Beck)
FRI: The Killers – The Strokes 
SAT: Twenty One Pilots – Gorillaz
SUN: RHCP – Billie Eilish (no Sportpaleis but rather festivals like Mad Cool)

This would make up in terms of variety for the loss of Kendrick. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

Not sure about bringing the Killers again, that'd be a repeat of 3 headliners of 2018 which is a lot, and even though there show back then was fun, I think there is much more exciting stuff out there (Tame Impala ofc haha)

8 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Do they now manage to make the Werchter Boutique and put la Billie and Taylor?
The Killers were on tw classic, will there be tw classic?
These two festivals were never spoken of again in Werchter

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

I understand you want to stay optimistic, but Ken clearly indicated the large headliner is on Friday which basically means no Strokes next year (and the years after) for RW. I don't believe in Billie anymore either. Otherwise, RHCP would basically sub here and I also don't think the Werchter-crowd will appreciate her headline position. 

My guess right now is that Metallica (or AC/DC or whoever that large headliner is) is the only (co-)headliner left for RW to announce. On sunday, Royal Blood will co-headline with RHCP and Placebo will stay sub I would think. 

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Sounds good. Too good to be true actually. The Strokes and Tame Impala is one hell of a combination. And on wednesday you can easily avoid Metallica if you only pick the 4 days. 

Perfect combo. But not for a large sized festival like Werchter. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, EV123 said:

I understand you want to stay optimistic, but Ken clearly indicated the large headliner is on Friday which basically means no Strokes next year (and the years after) for RW.

Of course I want to be optimistic, but in terms of The Strokes, it's also being realistic. I believe you when you say Werchter is a money machine, but not booking a big headliner on purpose (!), when literally every festival re-booked that act, in the knowledge that your fans, your audience, bought tickets for this act, is something I fail to believe.

Werchter has had some lows (Pink story), but this would be downright disreputable if they did something like this. 

On top of that, they (logically) promised to keep a similar mix of genres to cater to the people who bought (combi)tickets for the 2020 edition. As it is now, it's already more of a 90's retro revival thing than it was. Adding Metallica would attract a crowd the age of a TW Classic. 

Money is important, but I'm someone who believes that RW also cares about their audience. 

Have anyone heard anything about Placebo and FNM? I guess both of them still should be an option given their tour schedule?

On a (small) side note Robyn got announced for two Norwegian festivals mid June and might come back. They also announced a massive headliner for a one day festival on the 30th of June which might be the same RW is talking about. Should be noted though that massive by my city's standards (25000 capacity) might mean something different, but the likes of previously mentioned Foo Fighters, Metallica, Stones etc have played there recently, so I'm guessing for the same artist.. At least something is happening, if not anything else..