Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

Well as happy as I am to see him coming once again in my hometown, the rest of the Lineup of this festival is dreadful for my tastes, even if I have to go there for a day, so unless the ticket per day is like 40-50€, the wait to finally see K. Dot. continues... 😥

Edited by polnico

1 minute ago, misterplow said:

God dammit. So now we have to wait another year for seeing him? I guess they'll have him in 2022, just like SOAD.

I wouldn't be so sure. The fact that he plays Les Ardentes shows to me that they won't book him in the next years. Otherwise, they would simply have waited till 2022 and wouldn't allow Ardentes to book him (Ardentes is also LN if I'm not mistaken). 

I don't think we will see a hip-hop headliner anytime soon at RW. It simply didn't seem to work with ticket sales. Young fans need more than only Kendrick to buy a ticket which RW is not willing to give and older rock fans don't want to have a hip-hop headliner. 

I believe variation is the key for RW to still be a major within 10 years, but it looks like they will focus on their regular crowd and beer sales for the next few years. 

Just now, EV123 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. The fact that he plays Les Ardentes shows to me that they won't book him in the next years. Otherwise, they would simply have waited till 2022 and wouldn't allow Ardentes to book him (Ardentes is also LN if I'm not mistaken). 

I don't think we will see a hip-hop headliner anytime soon at RW. It simply didn't seem to work with ticket sales. Young fans need more than only Kendrick to buy a ticket which RW is not willing to give and older rock fans don't want to have a hip-hop headliner. 

I believe variation is the key for RW to still be a major within 10 years, but it looks like they will focus on their regular crowd and beer sales for the next few years. 

Live Nation, same guys as Rock Werchter, is responsible for the bookings of Les Ardentes. 

Instead of saying: why is Werchter missing him, ask yourself why. A big responsibility is with the artist and his entourage. They made the decision not to come back in 2021. And that Werchter is booking other headliners because of that, making sense isn’t it?

They tried to switch his day. But that was impossible with the other festivals, where he is supposed to play the same days as last year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EV123 said:

But what about people who bought tickets especially to see him? Haven't been to Werchter in a long time but Kendrick made it worthwhile. 

This is embarrassing. 

I truly can't understand all those reactions. 

If you really want to see him so bad. Go see him somewhere else. You all act as RW is the only festival that matters. You're all talking about they "lost" again and what a shame it is. But to me the shame is that you guys apparently only can go to one festival which is RW... As a music enthusiast I truly can't understand that. Go to the festival that interests YOU the most. Don't go to the biggest one because you're always going to that one and then complain about it the whole time.

+ the fact that RW anticipated so quickly with a very worhty replacement (not as unique but at least as big a name as Kendrick) only shows how fast they work, how good their communication is, how easily they can convince headliners on short notice,... It might be a shame that they now missed out on Kendrick, but c'mon only a very well-oiled machine could do that. Organisation-wise RW is the top of te festival world... That's it!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

If you really want to see him so bad. Go see him somewhere else. You all act as RW is the only festival that matters. You're all talking about they "lost" again and what a shame it is. But to me the shame is that you guys apparently only can go to one festival which is RW... As a music enthusiast I truly can't understand that. Go to the festival that interests YOU the most. Don't go to the biggest one because you're always going to that one and then complain about it the whole time.

+ the fact that RW anticipated so quickly with a very worhty replacement (not as unique but at least as big a name as Kendrick) only shows how fast they work, how good their communication is, how easily they can convince headliners on short notice,... It might be a shame that they now missed out on Kendrick, but c'mon only a very well-oiled machine could do that. Organisation-wise RW is the top of te festival world... That's it!

None of your comments make any sense in this situation. People are just gutted that they bought a ticket anticipating Kendrick on Werchter in 2020/2021. Kendrick is not there. End of discussion. It's not about RW having to change or just going to another festival it's just that people expected something and don't get it now. 

Ofcourse it's normal for them to rebook to another band if Kendrick cancelled, but don't blame people for being gutted about it since it was finally a new headliner for RW 🙂

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

Will my tickets be valid for Ardentes then? 

And yes, I should've dropped RW already. The standstill is become too much. But it's my first festival, closest to my hometown, so nothing strange I would say to hope that they have a good line-up and react on that. Moreover, the dates are mostly ideal for a student. 

Good communication? They never communicated Gorillaz was a replacement act for Kendrick (and in my opinion, Gorillaz is not a good replacement act for Kendrick). They never said Kendrick or SOAD won't be there next year. In 2019, they removed half a day without any communication. So I would say that communication wise, Werchter still have a lot to learn from other festivals (e.g. Q&A sessions of Roskilde). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, EV123 said:

Will my tickets be valid for Ardentes then? 

And yes, I should've dropped RW already. The standstill is become too much. But it's my first festival, closest to my hometown, so nothing strange I would say to hope that they have a good line-up and react on that. Moreover, the dates are mostly ideal for a student. 

Good communication? They never communicated Gorillaz was a replacement act for Kendrick (and in my opinion, Gorillaz is not a good replacement act for Kendrick). They never said Kendrick or SOAD won't be there next year. In 2019, they removed half a day without any communication. So I would say that communication wise, Werchter still have a lot to learn from other festivals (e.g. Q&A sessions of Roskilde). 

That is why they announced very quickly that the tickets can be used again in 2021 and 2022. Kendrick and Soad would be there in 2022 (and 21 pilots but they changed their plans already in June). 

On the other side. Kendrick was a name that they absolutely want, and they still want, but the sales were not that great.

1 hour ago, Boss89 said:

If you really want to see him so bad. Go see him somewhere else.

I have (combi) tickets for Rock Werchter, not Les Ardentes.

Besides, I don't think that festival is my thing at all. Loved the fact of Stokes AND Kendrick sharing the same bill. At Les Ardentes it's only hip hop (and sub genres). 

10 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

That is why they announced very quickly that the tickets can be used again in 2021 and 2022. Kendrick and Soad would be there in 2022 (and 21 pilots but they changed their plans already in June). 

If a lot can change in a few months in the festival world, then a lot more can change within two years. So, I still have to see it before I believe it.

On the other side. Kendrick was a name that they absolutely want, and they still want, but the sales were not that great.

I already said that Kendrick-fans will need more than just Kendrick to buy a ticket. I understand that it's a difficult equilibrium to find because booking too much new (hip-hop) acts would scare the regular crowd away, but having nothing else than Kendrick like it was this year is simply too little (and no Paak. won't sell you any tickets with him being in Belgium every few months). And I also want to understand that giving acts as Asap Rocky, Stormzy or Tyler a high position is too risky, but you could try with smaller acts as slowthai or Dave or so much others that were touring last year. 

Don't forget that last year all subs, all barn-headliners and almost all headliners (except 21P and Kendrick) were for an older target audience. That also doesn't help if you try to appeal to a newer audience. 

• Upvote 1

I understand you bought your ticket for Kendrick. But c'mon there's a worldwide pandemic going on... They never promised he would come back the year after. This is more Kendrick's "fault" than RW's.

1 hour ago, pigital said:

Ofcourse it's normal for them to rebook to another band if Kendrick cancelled, but don't blame people for being gutted about it since it was finally a new headliner for RW 🙂

I understand people being gutted as wel. But reactions such as "Damn, when will we see Kendrick" and such are things I can't understand. It's like a lot of people over here are forced to go to RW and only go to RW. And then complain about things like this or 'we always see the same bands' for example. Just hate that attitude, nothing personal.

1 hour ago, EV123 said:

And with communication I meant communication between RW and bands/bookers not their social media game and such.

• Upvote 1

I'm probably the only one here happy with how this Kendrick thing turned out :P Now bring back Faith No More, The Strokes & someone suitable for SOAD (I'm not thinking Muse) and we're good to go :)

Edited by heti
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, heti said:

I'm probably the only one here happy with how this Kendrick thing turned out :P Now bring back Faith No More, The Strokes & someone suitable for SOAD (I'm not thinking Muse) and we're good to go :)

You are not the only happy one.
I am waiting for everyone you spoke to and also for Tame Impala.

16 minutes ago, mashinko said:

Little bit offtopic but some optimistic news from Albania. If Albania can do it, then everything's possible, even festivals in June.

https://www.instagram.com/unumfestival/ 3-7 june 2021

Exciting news about Unum Festival 2021!

We are pleased to announce that we have had a successful meeting with Ministry of Health and Tourism in Albania, in order to assure you that next summer's festival will be taking place as planned. Everyone attending the festival will be tested beforehand or have the vaccine if it will have arrived by that time.

The advancing technology and accuracy of rapid tests currently allows for results within 10-15 minutes, which is all that would be required to ensure you can enjoy the festival in the way it should be enjoyed!

So with full support of the Government of Albania, the festival will be held on 3-7 June 2021, on the beach and amongst the pines in Shengjin's open spaces. 

edit: sorry, wrong topic, but I think it's okay to stay here

I guess we'll see when we get closer, but I can't see how anyone can assure something like that now. Anyway the question isn't really if they can test, but where to test. If you i.e test before entering the festival and you get positive tests, then what about all of those that were in the packed lines with them to get in, at the same bus on the way up, at the same camping site etc. In that case it has already spread among festival goers..

Should you test before travelling to the city at all, before entering the country (for those where that is relevant). Issue is that between testing and entering there are still too many uncertainties, which leads me to believe that it will still be very difficult unless vaccines are really working and distributed among enough people. A proof of vaccination (given that you're not still contagious with the vaccine) is the only viable way based on the info we have now, because I doubt anyone will take responsibility for potential super spreader events like this without it. However you never know about technology and luckily there are a lot smarter people then me out there, so I'm still crossing my fingers. 

33 minutes ago, BlackFoxx said:

Is this a guess or happening?

I think he spoke about the schedule of the announcements made in December 2019.

On Monday 2nd December, they announced Pearl Jam. On Tuesday 3rd December, they announced Twenty One Pilots. On Friday 6th December, they announced 5 names: PixiesThom YorkeYungbludWilco and The Streets. But they were the first announcement with tickets on sale on December 6th. Not the same situation here. 

I see them announce The Strokes this Friday. After that, it would be too late if they except to sale tickets for Christmas.

Before the 15th you had to apply for a refund. So it was always the intention to announce something before this date. But they are still not sure if this will be the right move. 

The big Friday headliner will it not be. They want to announce all their dates the same moment. 

I’m not sure about the strokes, you can not put them together with this new Friday headliner. Curious how this will work out.