Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

31 minutes ago, The Black said:

Rage Against The Machine: have a US tour on the Werchter dates.

AC/DC: have always played their own show.

Rammstein: have a date in Oostende in 2021 and are not on good terms with Live Nation.

Slipknot: not a Werchter (or stadium) band.

Iron Maiden: are playing Sportpaleis in 2021, also are not a stadium band in Belgium.

So that leaves me to believe it's either Guns N' Roses or Metallica. Guns have all dates open after the 30th of June and Metallica have no plans yet.

Well, if it's a stadium size / big headliner, there're not lot of possibilities. My first thought go to Metallica. Second choice would be Guns N RosesAC/DC don't play anymore in classic festivals (Download 2010 was an exception). Tool is not a stadium size band. I don't see another band...

1 minute ago, Salac said:

Why not Travis Scott ? He's playing at Rolling Loud in Portugal few days after RW. 

I wouldn't mind, but I don't think LN Belgium will book him again after cancelling PKP twice in a row, otherwise they would probably have booked him in 2019. 

Tyler or Kendrick would be a much better option for Werchter to book as hip-hop headliner. But tbh, I don't think Werchter will focus on pleasing a younger crowd next year seeing all these rumours! 

3 minutes ago, EV123 said:

But tbh, I don't think Werchter will focus on pleasing a younger crowd next year seeing all these rumours! 

Of course they will. Think RW is very concerned about (keeping) attracting a new audience. Their current audience is already quite old compared to other fests and they definitely are aware of the importance of being relevant. They're not a nostalgia/retro fest. 

Who is still waiting for Guns 'n Roses on Rock Werchter? They will truly not bring anything relevant to the 2021 line-up where we already have Gorillaz, Pearl Jam & Red Hot Chili Peppers singing from their extensive back-catalogue. Let's make sure we add a headliner that is a bit more 2021. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Of course they will. Think RW is very concerned about (keeping) attracting a new audience. Their current audience is already quite old compared to other fests and they definitely are aware of the importance of being relevant. They're not a nostalgia/retro fest. 

I do have another opinion about this one, but I think this discussion has already been conducted before. If they are so concerned about it, then they should just do a better job. And I don't think replacing Kendrick with Gorillaz or adding Metallica (and for sure Guns or AC/DC) will help anything to it. 

Anyway, I think only Metallica is a real option for Werchter if we look into a stadium-sized metal headliner (unless AC/DC would do a festival tour, but I just don't see that happening).

Some people are really underestimating the reach of Rock Werchter and the total difference in type of audience they have to cater to, specifically for their headliners.

Foo Fighters, Metallica, Rammstein sound like the only true contenders in that field if it has to be a headliner act. 

Personally for me I'd rather see some more alternative or mainstream headliners (Tame Impala, Stromae, The Strokes, Billie Eilish, ...) added but any artist will do fine as long as we have a 2021 festival. 

4 minutes ago, pigital said:

Personally for me I'd rather see some more alternative or mainstream headliners (Tame Impala, Stromae, The Strokes, Billie Eilish, ...) added but any artist will do fine as long as we have a 2021 festival. 

Well The Strokes are in the neighbourhood and have signed for a show in 2020. 

16 hours ago, Archi said:

AC/DC don't play anymore in classic festivals (Download 2010 was an exception). 

They played Coachella in 2015...

I'd argue they are unlikely for Werchter since LN Belgium could probably make more cash on a separate show, but you never know. Cannot look at former precedents given everything that has happened.

23 hours ago, Archi said:

Tool is not a stadium size band.

Lol you're kidding right? Last year they sold out two nights in a row at the Staples Center and they regularly sell out arenas within minutes. They headlined Download immediately after a 14 year hiatus. They're enormous. 

12 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Lol you're kidding right? Last year they sold out two nights in a row at the Staples Center and they regularly sell out arenas within minutes. They headlined Download immediately after a 14 year hiatus. They're enormous. 

Lol. RW19: co headlined with the Cure. And the field was not that full. Tool are headline size but not stadium size in Belgium.

25 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Not kidding at all. They're not a stadium size band (from 50k to 100k +/-). The venue you're talking about is in the US (20k btw). They headlined Download Festival indeed... like Def LeppardSlipKnotAvenged Sevenfold and many more but these bands are not able to sell out a stadium. You can be festival headliner size without being a stadium size band. Rock Werchter is a huge mainstream festival, less rock/metal than the Download Festival. And their show in 2019 was not so a big success, like said @Jefferke.

35 minutes ago, Archi said:

And their show in 2019 was not so a big success, like said @Jefferke.

Why not? Does the field have to be completely full for a show to be a success? I saw 30k people of which a lot were very dedicated fans and I saw one of the best shows ever at the Main. Don't forget it was pretty late at night when they started. I would say that the dripping off of fans during Muse's show that same year was more remarkable.

• Upvote 2