Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

7 hours ago, misterplow said:

Not convinced yet with these first announcements.

I like Gorillaz al lot, but having played in 2018, their return feels very quick. The likes of AltJ and Royal Blood are very uninspired and feel like new RW housebands being pushed too high on the lineup. 

I don't know. I'm missing an exciting unique name Kendrick gave me when he was announced. Or RATM would've give me. 

I have exactly the same feelings. I love Gorillaz, but it feels too soon (although I love their new songs and they could bring some really interesting guests with them). I'm tired of seeing Alt-J and RB (but also Nothing But Thieves) on Belgian (but mainly RW) festivals. I really don't understand why they booked NBT once again. There is so much more (and better)! 

Bar some exceptions, the reconfirmed names are unfortunately the more 'easy' names. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, P.bintein said:

Royal Blood and Nbt are the next biggest rock band in the world. Apart from this 2 bands there is no other new rock band as biggest as them. Royal blood didn't played RW since 2017. 

If this was true, which it isn’t, then fucking  hell is rock music in a dire place right now.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, brightside23 said:

Hmm, I'll take the bait - name a few bigger rock bands that released their debut in the last 5-6 years that you consider better?

@P.bintein said that RB and NBT are the biggest new rock bands, not the best ones...

For example, bands that reelased their debut album in the last 5/6 years, Greta Van Fleet subbed Rock Wechter in 2019 and Prophets Of Rage subbed Mad Cool or Pukkelpop in 2019.

I think that NBT can’t take such a high slots in European festivals nowadays.

On the other side, I agree with RB being of the biggest new rock bands at the moment, but I am not sure if they are big enough to sub a festival as Rock Werchter.

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

@P.bintein said that RB and NBT are the biggest new rock bands, not the best ones...

For example, bands that reelased their debut album in the last 5/6 years, Greta Van Fleet subbed Rock Wechter in 2019 and Prophets Of Rage subbed Mad Cool or Pukkelpop in 2019.

I think that NBT can’t take such a high slots in European festivals nowadays.

On the other side, I agree with RB being of the biggest new rock bands at the moment, but I am not sure if they are big enough to sub a festival as Rock Werchter.

Fair enough, to me it read like @FloorFiller is implying that, but maybe he wasn't. Anyway, Greta is a good shout I think, though weren't people complaining about them subbing too? Prophets of Rage were fourth down and mainly on the popularity of 90s songs/bands, so they are a different case.

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

I'm afraid that they are big enough in Belgium to do that. I would already be very happy if they don't end up (co-)headlining a day. Best case scenario for me is that they end up in between Pixies and Pearl Jam. 

Are FKA Twigs contender for this? She's re-announcing a lot of festivals and she could pull off a killer set at RW. She could also make the lineup a bit less beige... 

They missed out on her last year, so don't think she is a possibility for Werchter this year (which is still a shame though). 

3 minutes ago, EV123 said:

They missed out on her last year, so don't think she is a possibility for Werchter this year (which is still a shame though). 

Yeah, but new year new chances no? They missed out on AltJ last year, but here we are. (A shame they gave away a valuable slot for them though...)

25 minutes ago, misterplow said:

Yeah, but new year new chances no? They missed out on AltJ last year, but here we are. (A shame they gave away a valuable slot for them though...)

True, though FKA Twigs had several other bookings during the RW weekend in 2020, Alt-J didn't. Assuming she will reconfirm all those festivals for 2021, it doesn't look good for RW, sadly...

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

If this was true, which it isn’t, then fucking  hell is rock music in a dire place right now.

He's talking specifically about the biggest new rock bands, and unfortunately, he's quite right. Well, I can't speak as much for NBT, but RB are huge and TOP are too. 

Glad we got some names though a little shook by what's missing from the initial announcement. I expected a lot more "will still be coming". 

Edited by BenG92

FKA Twigs was on the list for Pkp20, she will be back over there, for sure. So, chances for RW are very little. 

They did not miss alt-j in 2020. It was a choice, because their new album will be released late 2020. The plan was always 2021. Alt-j loves to play RW. They were super nervous in 2017 for example. The festival means a lot to them.

7 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

FKA Twigs was on the list for Pkp20, she will be back over there, for sure. 

I highly doubt this one. She was due to play Fuji Rock in Japan the same weekend. 

Anyway, another missed opportunity imo of 2020 was Charli XCX. With her new album, maybe a possibility again?

34 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

I'm receiving bandsintown updates for Werchter 2021 from Placebo, HAIM, Michael Kiwanuka, Jake Bugg and Eefje de Visser.

Could a second announcement be imminent?

Nevermind, seems like a change of the festival dates to 2021...

9 hours ago, visdave34 said:

I'm receiving bandsintown updates for Werchter 2021 from Placebo, HAIM, Michael Kiwanuka, Jake Bugg and Eefje de Visser.

Could a second announcement be imminent?

Again no PJ, no Strokes 

Placebo is safe, they'll reschedule tour at the end of the year

2 hours ago, Festcrazy said:

Again no PJ, no Strokes 

Placebo is safe, they'll reschedule tour at the end of the year

Openair St. Gallen Festival has already announced the Placebo for the end of June, however tomorrow Mad Cool will most likely announce them and there is a festival here in Portugal that promised a headliner this week when the 2020 line-up was Placebo, I really believe in them on RW.

1 hour ago, Jefferke said:

'There is another band who's saying since April that they will come back next year. Just take a look at their website'.

On PJ website it says Werchter postponed, date TBD. 

Thanks! I don‘t understand what keeps them from announcing the tour if everybody knows they‘ll be back and the Lollas already announced them. Hope it‘s not hesitation because of the pandemic situation cause this might not change for some time. But scheduling can‘t take 3 months can it?