Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

I guess that RW had let IDLES to that other festival (Dour? Leffingeleuren?), only to have them coming back to Werchter in '21 with a new album. Ah well, we win some, we lose some with these lineups being copied to next year (RATM being the prime example). 

And Ken is right. If they keep touring at the same rate they did with previous albums, IDLES will play Belgium 4-5 times with Ultra Mono.

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Good shout.

With acts like Jehnny Beth, Phoebe Bridges (what an album!), Black Pumas, Girl In Red,... Rock Werchter had an amazing Slope lineup in 2020. Hoping they carry each act over to 2021. 

This actually makes me wonder if we'll an exact copy of this year's lineup, or if the returning artists will get their spots adapted to their new status.

Jehnny Beth and Phoebe Bridges were announced long before releasing their critically acclaimed albums. Inhaler will finally have their debut out by next year's edition, and Fontaines DC are suddenly being played in high rotation on Stubru. And on the other side, the Tones & I hype will have long died out by the Summer of 2021.

4 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

This actually makes me wonder if we'll an exact copy of this year's lineup, or if the returning artists will get their spots adapted to their new status.

Jehnny Beth and Phoebe Bridges were announced long before releasing their critically acclaimed albums. Inhaler will finally have their debut out by next year's edition, and Fontaines DC are suddenly being played in high rotation on Stubru. And on the other side, the Tones & I hype will have long died out by the Summer of 2021.

I really hope that Phoebe Bridgers will be put in a tent. The Slope is an amazing stage but not really a good fit for acts that need a more silent crowd, certainly not during dinner time. And her album is amazing, she deserves that slot. 

5 minutes ago, polnico said:

Werchter still be organizing a festival no matter what this summer haha! Really wonder how many tickets they'll actually be able to sell for it, because I'd be down to go see Selah Sue.

I guess 200 will be the maximum number? This is the limit for cultural activities in July. 

11 hours ago, Dietediet said:

I guess that RW had let IDLES to that other festival (Dour? Leffingeleuren?), only to have them coming back to Werchter in '21 with a new album. Ah well, we win some, we lose some with these lineups being copied to next year (RATM being the prime example). 

And Ken is right. If they keep touring at the same rate they did with previous albums, IDLES will play Belgium 4-5 times with Ultra Mono.

I think IDLES were mentioned for Pukkelpop way back in the RW 2020 thread.

From a viewers perspective some decisions between Rock Werchter and Pukkelpop actually don't seem to make any sense :D

IDLES are supporting Pearl Jam at multiple shows during their tour, they are even playing Down the Rabbit Hole around the corner on the same weekend but end up not playing RW. This is good for me personally because I don't like IDLES AT ALL and I don't get all the buzz around them :P

Next, Foals are imo overdue for a Rock Werchter return, since they couldn't make it in 2019 and the cards were looking very good for 2020 but somehow it didn't work out again and I think I read they were set to play Pukkelpop, but because of Summer Sonic in Japan they were out for PKP, too.

On the other hand we have a surprising name like Liam Gallagher, that I was totally expecting for Pukkelpop because he was already playing Reading/Leeds and Lowlands all in August.

2 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

I think IDLES were mentioned for Pukkelpop way back in the RW 2020 thread.

From a viewers perspective some decisions between Rock Werchter and Pukkelpop actually don't seem to make any sense :D

IDLES are supporting Pearl Jam at multiple shows during their tour, they are even playing Down the Rabbit Hole around the corner on the same weekend but end up not playing RW. This is good for me personally because I don't like IDLES AT ALL and I don't get all the buzz around them :P

Next, Foals are imo overdue for a Rock Werchter return, since they couldn't make it in 2019 and the cards were looking very good for 2020 but somehow it didn't work out again and I think I read they were set to play Pukkelpop, but because of Summer Sonic in Japan they were out for PKP, too.

On the other hand we have a surprising name like Liam Gallagher, that I was totally expecting for Pukkelpop because he was already playing Reading/Leeds and Lowlands all in August.

Foals at SummerSonic ? I don't recall that at all, but I'd be more than happy to see them at RW that's for sure.

12 hours ago, polnico said:

My intuition would be the total opposite. If concerts & festivals are a possibility next year (I pray it'll be the case), I guess they'll be more opportunities to sign artists than usually (bc a lot will have missed out on this year + the one that had planned 2021 anyway). So I feel like festivals that are close to each other won't share big (even small) parts of their lineups. That's just my intuition though.

That would be nice, but don't think it's doable. Bands like The Strokes won't be flying out to just play one festival and then hang around in Europe to play another two weeks later. Just image the costs: hotel rooms, crew, equipment storage. And they they'll get the headliner big bucks....just imagine how this would pan out for the average band. Smaller bands might be even partly funding their own tour. They don't have the luxury to play just one festival a week. Primavera and Best Kept Secret are one week apart, kept most of their 2020 line up and share many bands between them.

Foals is playing Pukkelpop because it was already some time ago. RW had them on their wishlist too. But they did RW the last two times. So it was ok for them to give Foals to Pkp. Normally they were one of the big tenth names for Pukkelpop. 
Liam was playing Pukkelpop, but switched to RW. Just like Chems switched to Pukkelpop. 
It happens that RW and Pukkelpop wants the same band, and Live Nation is searching for the right balance, they can not keep everything for RW, Moderat in 2017 was one of this names. 

2 minutes ago, Judithmt said:

That would be nice, but don't think it's doable. Bands like The Strokes won't be flying out to just play one festival and then hang around in Europe to play another two weeks later. Just image the costs: hotel rooms, crew, equipment storage. And they they'll get the headliner big bucks....just imagine how this would pan out for the average band. Smaller bands might be even partly funding their own tour. They don't have the luxury to play just one festival a week. Primavera and Best Kept Secret are one week apart, kept most of their 2020 line up and share many bands between them.

The Strokes are not the type of band that stays in Europe. They fly a lot. It is just not that typical tour.

7 minutes ago, Judithmt said:

I meant festivals that are close to each other in terms of position. Ofc Primavera and BKS will share some act, but I think it'd be even more surprising for RW and Pkp to share international acts next summer. For Belgian acts, might be another story.

21 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Foals is playing Pukkelpop because it was already some time ago. RW had them on their wishlist too. But they did RW the last two times. So it was ok for them to give Foals to Pkp. Normally they were one of the big tenth names for Pukkelpop. 
Liam was playing Pukkelpop, but switched to RW. Just like Chems switched to Pukkelpop. 
It happens that RW and Pukkelpop wants the same band, and Live Nation is searching for the right balance, they can not keep everything for RW, Moderat in 2017 was one of this names. 

No way that they can swith those bands back? Liam for PKP and Chems for RW in 2021? :)

1 minute ago, polnico said:

I meant festivals that are close to each other in terms of position. Ofc Primavera and BKS will share some act, but I think it'd be even more surprising for RW and Pkp to share international acts next summer. For Belgian acts, might be another story.

Ah OK...my bad then. I still hope festivals won't be holding on to the 'Benelux' exclusives too tight. This is a difficult year for everyone who's got anything to do with music. RW didn't do too well in sales pre-corona and I believe I've read that Taylor Shift and Paul McCartney won't be doing a 2021 summer tour in Europe. If totally hypothetical Live Nation would have lets say an exclusive Coldplay in Amsterdam deal, I'll just hope they be lenient about such deals and let them play TW Classic as well and are just aiming for the best possible line ups for festivals, artists and audiences.

• Upvote 1

1646176902_Capturedecran2020-06-19a11_37_43.thumb.png.e30ed770b4b931661aea046da268773c.png

Totally forgot to post this, but here is the top 20 of acts people wanted to see according to the stats of Clashfinder.  Was quite pleasantly surprised to see how many people actually wanted to see Kendrick, clearly shows that those facebook comments don't always tell the whole story (this clashfinder doesn't either ofc).

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, polnico said:

1646176902_Capturedecran2020-06-19a11_37_43.thumb.png.e30ed770b4b931661aea046da268773c.png

Totally forgot to post this, but here is the top 20 of acts people wanted to see according to the stats of Clashfinder.  Was quite pleasantly surprised to see how many people actually wanted to see Kendrick, clearly shows that those facebook comments don't always tell the whole story (this clashfinder doesn't either ofc).

Pixies over System Of A Down? Sum 41 over 21 Pilots? Quite Strange...

2 hours ago, polnico said:

Imagine these results are really based on the context of the clashfinder though, and they tell you more about relative popularity between options presented at the same time rather than absolute popularity of the acts people wanted to see. For example, Keane being so highly ranked is probably due to them playing an early afternoon slot without much in the way of "quality opposition" programmed at the same time, rather them being the 4th most anticipated act people wanted to see. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Garorock is doing 5 Days in 2021...

It seems that they add this 5th day for free for 4-day ticketpass holders? Nice gesture if true, but it could be that I get lost in translation.

And they added Selah Sue. Seems a good shout as a new Belgian name for next year. 

1 hour ago, EV123 said:

It seems that they add this 5th day for free for 4-day ticketpass holders? Nice gesture if true, but it could be that I get lost in translation.

And they added Selah Sue. Seems a good shout as a new Belgian name for next year. 

Yeah, she was already on the list to do shows in 2021. That was planned before corona. Werchter is possible, but all the other Belgian festivals too off course. 

I think they will book her first to do some indoor shows, than looking further what her actual popularity is these days.

Edited by Ken19