Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

1 hour ago, Ken19 said:

The Killers & The Strokes on the same day next year? Heard something about it. But don’t see this as a confirmation please.

Sounds pretty feasible to me! Better fit than Tame Impala in my opinion :) Do you already have a clue when RW will announce the new dates?

2 hours ago, Ken19 said:

The Killers & The Strokes on the same day next year? Heard something about it. But don’t see this as a confirmation please.

That yould be sooo great, Killers were indeed one of my many highlights in 2018! Unfortunately they somehow cut two songs from their set 😕

The Strokes - The Killers - Liam Gallagher would literally blow my mind :D

Sure as you mentioned, this ain't a confirmation, but since Sir Paul cancelled his entire tour, moving Killers to the main festival would make a lot of sense (with Open'er and Lolla Stockholm already having them on their bill). @Ken19 do you know if they already found a replacement for TW Classic/Werchter Boutique?

I'm also wondering who could replace Kendrick Lamar? Post Malone came first to my mind. Tame Impala would also be a great fit if they could close that day, but I can see them only play All Points East and Primavera Sound and then redo their US Tour.

It is not really finding a replacement for Kendrick. Because there were already some names who were close to a deal. Don’t expect that instead of Kendrick there will be the same kind of artist. Looking who is on tour and is strong enough to headline a day. 

The combo: strokes - tame impala is not an option. Strokes was a very interesting headliner, not the big seller tough. The killers - Strokes can work much better. 

I maybe expect a date announcement the weekend of RW, maybe one or two acts (you know there are acts ready to announce). But the vibe in Belgium has to be right. Not that they announce a name, and half Belgium is saying: it is not appropriate to announce something right now. This moment: Belgium isn’t ready for an announcement, but in three weeks maybe the vibe is different. The beginning of september is still the safest option. Is it earlier, much better, but I don’t count on it. I hope so. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Not even attempting to replace Kendrick Lamar or System Of a Down with an act that appeals to the people who bought tickets for their headline days in the first place would be downright unconcerned to your audience. But that's my opinion. 

Kendrick is an unique headliner. Who would be a suited replacement for Kendrick? In my opinion there are only two possibilities: Eminem and The Weeknd (Tyler, Stormzy, ASAP Rocky etc. are nowhere compared to Kendrick, maybe Post Malone, but still too meager as far as I'm concerned). Maybe he will play RW in 2022, in that case fans can change their ticket. Anyway, stating "There must be a replacement appealing to people who bought tickets" is easy, but if it isn't possible, it is not possible.
Replacing a rock headliner I think is a lot easier, because there are a lot of suitable replacements.

22 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Not even attempting to replace Kendrick Lamar or System Of a Down with an act that appeals to the people who bought tickets for their headline days in the first place would be downright unconcerning to your audience. But that's my opinion. 

Although I do agree, you should also be realistic. Which act that appeals to their fans could replace these acts? Perhaps Metallica instead of SOAD, but which act should replace Kendrick? The Weeknd seems to be out, they won't try Tyler and I don't see that much other options atm. 

14 minutes ago, EV123 said:

Although I do agree, you should also be realistic. Which act that appeals to their fans could replace these acts? Perhaps Metallica instead of SOAD, but which act should replace Kendrick? The Weeknd seems to be out, they won't try Tyler and I don't see that much other options atm. 

Lighthouse is a little bit naive and idealistic. No hard feelings and I have respect towards that.
But it is not possible to fix that for 100% sure. You can not make the agenda of the artists. They are individuals with their own agenda. They don’t let their sleep for a festival run, show or tour. 
That is why your voucher is also usable in 2022. We have the idea that 95% of this years artists will play in 2021 / 2022. Including all of the headliners. Bands like Soad and an artist as Kendrick are professional enough to know that 2022 is the limit. The only difficult person is Macca. You know, little bit older, difficult to plan things far in advance. 

In the end, everything will be Allright. But it is sometimes difficult to see it in a bigger timeframe. Remember Bon Iver his cancelled tour in 2017. It took some time, but he did all the countries he had supposed to do on the original tour. Or Metallica, who will be touring with their album spread in 4 years. 

Edited by Ken19
  • Upvote 1

I'm more reacting to the fact that according to Ken, RW would just find an act that sells the most tickets, whoever it is, whatever it is, and book that act instead of taking your audience into account. At least, that what I understand from it. I don't want to believe RW is that shallow, given the fact that they normally really care about their public. 

And I'm aware of the fact that Kendrick is very hard to replace. Don't think there's another hiphop act in the world who is this relevant yet capable of headlining a major festival like RW. It's a very 'finger on the pulse' kind of headliner. Eminem, who is also huge, is also a bit more nostalgic. But I think something like Gorillaz or Tame Impala would appeal to the Kendrick audience more than, let's say, Foo Fighters... (these are just examples to illustrate what I'm going at of course). 

IF Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar both aren't around, then Roskilde loses its two biggest names. Maybe the replacement is whoever is replacing them? Roskilde is celebrating its 50th anniv, so they'll surely want to impress. 

Edited by lighthouse

8 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I'm more reacting to the fact that they seem to aiming at according to Ken, RW would just find an act that sells the most tickets, whoever it is, an book that act instead of taking your audience into account. At least, that what I understand from it. I don't want to believe RW is that shallow, given the fact that they normally really care about their public. 

And I'm aware of the fact that Kendrick is very hard to replace. Don't think there's another hiphop act in the world who is this relevant yet capable of headlining a major festival like RW. It's a very 'finger on the pulse' kind of headliner. Eminem, who is also huge, is also a bit more nostalgic. But I think something like Gorillaz or Tame Impala would appeal to the Kendrick audience more than, let's say, Foo Fighters... (these are just examples to illustrate what I'm going at of course). 

IF Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar both aren't around, then Roskilde loses its two biggest names. Maybe the replacement is whoever is replacing them? Roskilde is celebrating its 50th anniv, so they'll surely want to impress. 

Stop with focussing on birthdays of festivals. Was 50 years Pinkpop that impressive? 
Your crowd is paying a shitload of money. They deserve each year the best line up possible. It is nice for your marketing. But the promotors will do everything to have each year the best bands possible. 

Kendrick was one of their absolutely no brainers. Top of their wishlist. An absolute icon of his generation. It doesn’t translate in ticketsales but a must have for your line up. But he is also a busy person with many things to do. It will come together, but for the moment the cards are not looking positive for 2021. There is no act that can replace him. They have to do something else. 

Metallica is always welcome in Roskilde. Lars loves the combination of Werchter and Roskilde... maybe you have your answer?

Edited by Ken19

I get what you're saying, Ken. And I also get that a festival needs to be viable. But you also don't want to end up with Dadrock - The Festival.

The variety was always Rock Werchters strongest point. The reason why I felt in love with that festival. The fact that you can see QOTSA and Gorillaz back to back. And the 2020 lineup was beautifully varied. I bought my ticket especially for The Strokes and Kendrick, but during the other 2 headliners they managed to have some amazing Barn heads. Let's hope they at least kan keep this kind of variety next year. 🙂 

I'm also very curious about that possible 5th day.

That and the fact that Arctic Monkeys announced two massive Sheffield shows for 2021. If Swift and Kenny are indeed not returning, maybe they'll be one of the headliners at Glastonbury? Can't see Metallica doing Glasto again tbh.

Edited by lighthouse

13 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Kendrick was one of their absolutely no brainers. Top of their wishlist. An absolute icon of his generation. It doesn’t translate in ticketsales but a must have for your line up. But he is also a busy person with many things to do. It will come together, but for the moment the cards are not looking positive for 2021. There is no act that can replace him. They have to do something else. 

Bad ticket sales for Kendrick doesn't really surprise me actually. The reactions on Kendrick as headliner on Facebook and other media were very negative. I was not really surprised, but it's quite remarkable that the shitload on negative reactions didn't really happen when Roskilde, Open'er or another major announced him. Maybe some kind of necessary switch wasn't made during the last few years? You see that Roskilde is capable of selling out their 2019-edition while there were almost no big headliners touring, while Werchter had to bring in Pink, Muse and Mumford and still wasn't able to sell out. 

I have the feeling that Dour is getting more and more popular with Flemish youth, while Werchter isn't really able to connect with them somehow. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EV123 said:

Bad ticket sales for Kendrick doesn't really surprise me actually. The reactions on Kendrick as headliner on Facebook and other media were very negative. I was not really surprised, but it's quite remarkable that the shitload on negative reactions didn't really happen when Roskilde, Open'er or another major announced him. Maybe some kind of necessary switch wasn't made during the last few years? You see that Roskilde is capable of selling out their 2019-edition while there were almost no big headliners touring, while Werchter had to bring in Pink, Muse and Mumford and still wasn't able to sell out. 

I have the feeling that Dour is getting more and more popular with Flemish youth, while Werchter isn't really able to connect with them somehow. 

Facebook reactions are always negative, unless its a rock act. Rock/metal fans like to show how much they love their rock, and hate other genres. HUGE generalisation of course, so don't go too hard on me. But still something that strikes me. 

Roskilde is a bit ahead because they're doing this for longer now, but I really think RW is catching up. That's why it's important to keep booking new headliners, in different genres. The combination of these big 'rock'headliners (who are getting older and older) and newer kind of headliners (sometimes 2 of them combined), is the strongest thing about the festival in my book. It prevents them for being another Rock Am Ring/Novarock affain, who mostly seem to be relying on nostagic bands. 

Comments on Facebook are never really relevant. You've more people who come complaining than happy people. Same for almost all events. Haters come to say they hate. Happy people just buy their ticket and comment less.

About what you say for the timing in Belgium @Ken19, I think anytime would be a good time to announce now. We are in this crisis since like 3 months now, festivals are cancelled and lot of major festivals already announce names for 2021. People wants to know what to do: keep tickets, ask refund when it's possible, already reserve for 2021. I know lot of people here waiting informations. Even Graspop already announced Aerosmith (because the band announced their tour). I hope they'll announce a few more names at least before July. Same for Rock Werchter

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Facebook reactions are always negative, unless its a rock act. Rock/metal fans like to show how much they love their rock, and hate other genres. HUGE generalisation of course, so don't go too hard on me. But still something that strikes me.

I only partially agree with this lol .. I'm more of a HellFest or RockAmRing regular, but I also go to Sziget every year, which is an every genre festival. The reason why I am more of a rock-metal fan is also that this genre bands/artists didn't disappointed me as much as rap/hip-hop artists did.  Thats why I (and I suppose some others) react positively with rock act announcement. But no, we don't HATE other genres lol, it's just past experiences talking ^^

And speaking of "every genres" festivals, is there a big difference between RW and Sziget ? I've never been to RW and I begin to wonder... @lighthouse ans @Ken19 you guys seems to be regulars to this fest, so I'm asking

4 hours ago, Archi said:

Comments on Facebook are never really relevant. You've more people who come complaining than happy people. Same for almost all events. Haters come to say they hate. Happy people just buy their ticket and comment less.

While I do agree that Facebook comments are mostly not that relevant, the amount of negative reactions on his announcement was so extraordinary that makes it relevant for me in this case. And I don't think it's wrong to notice the difference with the reactions when other majors (where they are more used to 'new' acts) announced him. 

Roskilde is a bit ahead because they're doing this for longer now, but I really think RW is catching up. That's why it's important to keep booking new headliners, in different genres. The combination of these big 'rock'headliners (who are getting older and older) and newer kind of headliners (sometimes 2 of them combined), is the strongest thing about the festival in my book. It prevents them for being another Rock Am Ring/Novarock affain, who mostly seem to be relying on nostagic bands. 

Luckily there is Graspop in Belgium to prevent Werchter to become another Rock Am Ring/Novarock. 

5 hours ago, EV123 said:

While I do agree that Facebook comments are mostly not that relevant, the amount of negative reactions on his announcement was so extraordinary that makes it relevant for me in this case.

You can still read the reactions here (https://www.facebook.com/rockwerchterfestival/posts/10157788867630699). I gotta say they were mostly (90+%) very positive and excited, apart from a few whiners at the top. Of course it's a little more controversial, but that's a good thing.

And even if it was the case, I can still remember the waterfall of negative reactions after they announced Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (which I'm not a fan of at all mind), but that didn't stop them from having a packed field. 

• Upvote 1

What is actually going on with these Metallica hints?

I know Zegut mentioned them quite a while ago for a Paris show in June 2021 before the corona pandemic started.

Lately Ken explained Metallica would stretch their Hardwired tour to four years (one year is still missing here...) and how Lars likes to play Roskilde and Werchter during a tour (with both festivals missing at least two headliners).

By all means I'm no Metallica fan at all but bringing them to RW again would cause people go nuts I guess.

Since many large acts postponed their 2021 plans to 2022 I just can't see such a huge band like Metallica is still planning for 2021 with a proper festival tour still missing. Remember most Hardrock Festivals like Rock am Ring, Download, Nova Rock etc will stick to their 2020 headlines and/or won't have the budget anymore to pay for a Metallica show.

Even if a tour is on the horizon, I wouldn't expect them on the main festival .......Taylor Swift AND Macca are both out for Classic/Boutique. Metallica replacing one of these would make more sense to me.

Or could they actually play the 5th day on Wednesday (with 2 or 3 other bands opening) that was discussed a couple times now?

Edited by Hullabaloo92

11 minutes ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

What is actually going on with these Metallica hints?

I know Zegut mentioned them quite a while ago for a Paris show in June 2021 before the corona pandemic started.

Lately Ken explained Metallica would stretch their Hardwired tour to four years (one year is still missing here...) and how Lars likes to play Roskilde and Werchter during a tour (with both festivals missing at least two headliners).

By all means I'm no Metallica fan at all but bringing them to RW again would cause people go nuts I guess.

Since many large acts postponed their 2021 plans to 2022 I just can't see such a huge band like Metallica is still planning for 2021 with a proper festival tour still missing. Remember most Hardrock Festivals like Rock am Ring, Download, Nova Rock etc will stick to their 2020 headlines and/or won't have the budget anymore to pay for a Metallica show.

Even if a tour is on the horizon, I wouldn't expect them on the main festival .......Taylor Swift AND Macca are both out for Classic/Boutique. Metallica replacing one of these would make more sense to me.

Or could they actually play the 5th day on Wednesday (with 2 or 3 other bands opening) that was discussed a couple times now?

If SOAD is indeed out of the picture, they'd actually be a perfect replacement for the Sunday, and probably nearly guarantee that day to sell out, with Volbeat & the general rock/metal look of that day.

But that's wishful thinking from me though, and TW Classic/Boutique is clear as likely (if not more).

I really cant see Metallica being a replacement for anyone. Its Metallica. They will tour when everything is totally right again and when they can fill stadiums and headline the biggest festivals themselves. I would say 2022 at earliest. 

31 minutes ago, Andrej said:

I really cant see Metallica being a replacement for anyone. Its Metallica. They will tour when everything is totally right again and when they can fill stadiums and headline the biggest festivals themselves. I would say 2022 at earliest. 

I meant this more as "a perfect opportunity" for RW to replace SOAD, not as a "second choice" haha !