Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

3 hours ago, Ken19 said:

Kendrick is normally not available this period next summer. That is why. He has some other plans. 

Swift wants to wait an extra year to be 100% sure.

Is that new info on Swift, Ken, or is it the same info you had a couple months back?

Appreciate the responses!

OK, to sum up:

Faith No More, Thom Yorke, The Strokes & 21 Pilots confirmed their reappearance in EU during RW 2021 period 

SOAD are OUT as they said they'll do June festivals only

Kendrick is probably (and hopefully 4 me) also OUT

Pearl Jam - hopefully they're still on board

We're missing one headliner and it's not gonna be Green Day as they rescheduled Antwerp gig, nor Aerosmith (Graspop), Iron Maiden (solo show) or probably G n' R (Graspop needs them).

Let the speculation begin :) 

37 minutes ago, heti said:

OK, to sum up:

Faith No More, Thom Yorke, The Strokes & 21 Pilots confirmed their reappearance in EU during RW 2021 period 

SOAD are OUT as they said they'll do June festivals only

Kendrick is probably (and hopefully 4 me) also OUT

Pearl Jam - hopefully they're still on board

We're missing one headliner and it's not gonna be Green Day as they rescheduled Antwerp gig, nor Aerosmith (Graspop), Iron Maiden (solo show) or probably G n' R (Graspop needs them).

Let the speculation begin :) 

I would say RHCP, Foo Fighters and Tame Impala are the most likely ones to replace someone. Maybe The Weeknd, but I guess he will reschedule his Sportpaleis show to a later date that would not really fit summer festivals. 

The Weeknd is the only ‘worthy’ replacement for Kendrick I can think of.

As Ken said: they’ll want to give dissapointed SOAD fans a worthy replacement. I their case a Metallica could fit. But can’t see Kendrick ticket buyers being allright with; let’s say, Guns n Roses 😅. With TOP probably being back, we’ll need a co-headliner. Gorillaz could be fitting. 

(I still don’t want to give up Kendrick though. It’s still very early and things change quickly.)

2 hours ago, EV123 said:

I would say RHCP, Foo Fighters and Tame Impala are the most likely ones to replace someone. Maybe The Weeknd, but I guess he will reschedule his Sportpaleis show to a later date that would not really fit summer festivals. 

I agree!
RHCP or The Weeknd instead of The Weeknd, Tame Impala after The Strokes and Foo Fighters as closing act just like in 2017!

I would be so bummed out if Kendrick doesn't return on the bill... He still has an album coming, right? Which he needs to promote? Holding on hopes, here... He was one of the reasons I bought RW tix again and didn't decide to go elsewhere for a change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pigital said:

How I understood Coldplay's interview with radio a few months ago they seemed to plan to come in June/July to Belgium. Article can be found here.

So they can be a possibility for one of those slots too.

We didn't have the Covid-19 in Europe (officially) when he made this interview. All bands changed their plans. I also remember the band said they won't tour for their latest album because it's too much pollution to tour worldwide. And @Ken19 said the band was too expensive, it's better to have a show only for them (like a Werchter Boutique or Stade Roi Baudouin). Now things can change of course, but not their fee.

13 hours ago, EV123 said:

Sportpaleis October 2021 it is 

31 minutes ago, Archi said:

We didn't have the Covid-19 in Europe (officially) when he made this interview. All bands changed their plans. I also remember the band said they won't tour for their latest album because it's too much pollution to tour worldwide. And @Ken19 said the band was too expensive, it's better to have a show only for them (like a Werchter Boutique or Stade Roi Baudouin). Now things can change of course, but not their fee.

For RW there is no band too expensive. The problem with Coldplay is: they are too popular. Remember the Stones at Pinkpop. The usual festival crowd lost their spot to the one time coldplay fans. So, booking Coldplay is difficult. A guarantee sell out. But your whole program is not relevant anymore. Bands are not happy to be on the same line up....

For Pinkpop is this perfect. Werchter can easily put them on a 1 day festival. And you have a few other festivals who are wanting to book them. But a lot others not. And Coldplay wants really do another festival run. That is already on the table for a couple of years. 

Edited by Ken19
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, visdave34 said:

I would be so bummed out if Kendrick doesn't return on the bill... He still has an album coming, right? Which he needs to promote? Holding on hopes, here... He was one of the reasons I bought RW tix again and didn't decide to go elsewhere for a change.

With Kendrick it can go very fast. There was no Kendrick tour in the picture around September 2019. This is very unusual for headliners. Most of the headliners are already in negotiation around the time of your festival the year before. 

End september/October came the message that Kendrick wanted to do a massive European festival headline run. He was very welcome. Deals were quickly done. His management already had contacts for years with the organisers and they knew perfectly were to put Kendrick. 

It is like Jazebel said. Things change. In september your line up is completely different. And by the end of March you have a line up who was not in the September books. 

So there is still hope. But as far as i know he has already plans for next summer. Maybe it is uncertain he has to postpone this as well. 

You see, The Lumineers were also in doubt for a long time. And now they are coming back next year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

For RW there is no band too expensive. The problem with Coldplay is: they are too popular. Remember the Stones at Pinkpop. The usual festival crowd lost their spot to the one time coldplay fans. So, booking Coldplay is difficult. A guarantee sell out. But your whole program is not relevant anymore. Bands are not happy to be on the same line up....

For Pinkpop is this perfect. Werchter can easily put them on a 1 day festival. And you have a few other festivals who are wanting to book them. But a lot others not. And Coldplay wants really do another festival run. That is already on the table for a couple of years. 

Does this also mean a 5th day (let's say wednesday with a smaller line-up) is not an option anymore for next year? 

9 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

I don't know what this has to do with a 5th day?

If there would be a fifth day, which as mentionedbefore on the forum could be shorter (more in line with Pink day), then Coldplay could potentially take that one up. That's where the question came from 🙂

Just now, pigital said:

If there would be a fifth day, which as mentionedbefore on the forum could be shorter (more in line with Pink day), then Coldplay could potentially take that one up. That's where the question came from 🙂

I think that a band like Coldplay is too big. But there are plenty of other options who can fill this spot. 

2003= Björk, Radiohead and Underworld. That was magical. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heti said:

@Ken19, since we're taking a trip down the memory lane...who was supposed to play on Sunday 2008 ? Because I don't believe dEUS & Beck were main plan for Main Stage back then ?

That was a case of schedule issues. Enough headliners, but difficult to spread them on the correct day. That Thursday and Friday was insanely strong, not even possible anymore in this timeframe. dEUS was a decent headliner, they headlined 2006 also. And Beck was more a sub in this periode than he is now. He headlined Pinkpop one time if I remember correctly. They tried to compensate this to program a strong main stage and marquee.