Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

5 minutes ago, everest said:

LOL, there is no doubt on Pearl Jam.

And SOAD rescheduled LA dates, so Europe will be probably announced soon

Although I‘m puzzled that Pearl Jam haven‘t announced the rescheduled dates yet. With two festivals and „June / July“ announced almost two months ago, I felt we‘d have dates by now.

I hope they didn‘t rethink and feel it‘s too risky to plan for a tour in summer 2021.

43 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

Although I‘m puzzled that Pearl Jam haven‘t announced the rescheduled dates yet. With two festivals and „June / July“ announced almost two months ago, I felt we‘d have dates by now.

I hope they didn‘t rethink and feel it‘s too risky to plan for a tour in summer 2021.

If they feel it’s too risky they postpone till 2022. 

2 hours ago, EV123 said:

The first batch of names for Primavera 2021 is out and there are some interesting things to note for Werchter:

- Names that are repeated for PS2021 that should've played RW2020: Beck, Cigarettes After Sex, Disclosure, Fontaines D.C., Jehnny Beth, Mabel, The Strokes

- Names that are not repeated for PS2021 that should've played RW2020: Brittany Howard, Kacey Musgraves

- New (large) names that are very interesting for RW2021: Gorillaz, Tame Impala, Jamie XX

First reconfirmed show for The Strokes! Gorillaz, Tame Impala and Jamie XX touring is exciting news! Bit sad about Brittany and Kacey not being reconfirmed (yet).

Jamie xx was supposed to play Pukkelpop this year 

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

I'll quote that. 

DREAM MODUS:

Thu: (...) - Pixies - Faith No More - Pearl Jam

(Barn: Wilco, Beck, Disclosure)

Fri: (...) - Liam Gallagher - Tame Impala - The Strokes

(Barn: Archive, The National)

Sat: (...) - Gorillaz - Kendrick Lamar

(Barn: Jorja Smith, The Streets, Jamie XX)

Sun: (...) - Placebo - Volbeat - System Of a Down 

(Barn: Michael Kiwanuka, mister Thom Yorke)

You are forgetting two big acts, not your cup of tea and you can delete some acts.

Edited by Ken19

1 hour ago, The_Preach said:

Do you mean they have rescheduled to the June periode instead of beginning of July for example? Or do you mean if it is not sure if there is a spot free for them because other acts who would play in 2020 have been moved to 2021?

There was a plan. Big arena tour in 2020, with a great production, in 2021 the big european festivals as a headliner. But a lot of headliners are redoing their tour next year. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

You are forgetting two big acts, not your cup of tea and you can delete some acts.

The two big acts would be replacing others right? I'd be guessing something a bit more poppy, like TOP or Billie ?(I'd love Billie but I don't think she'll be doing festivals instead of her arena tour). Btw I am so happy with this primavera announcement, it has revived this forum and this is great fun I missed.

Edited by polnico

Just now, polnico said:

The two big acts would be replacing others right? I'd be guessing something a bit more poppy, like TOP or Billie ?(I'd love Billie but I don't think she'll be doing festivals instead of her arena tour)

They book what is available. Their is no plan like Sziget has. If their is an interesting pop act available they will book them, if not, so be it. 
Their are plenty of options but Rock Werchter doesn’t want a repeat of 2020. With ticket sales below expectations. They need a big seller together with Pearl Jam. And they will have that act. The 2020 Saturday was amazing but had not the effect they wanted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, polnico said:

The two big acts would be replacing others right? I'd be guessing something a bit more poppy, like TOP or Billie ?(I'd love Billie but I don't think she'll be doing festivals instead of her arena tour)

Billie is doing festivals on her arena tour this year (Mad Cool and NOS alive). So, I can easily see her adding Werchter if it fits the schedule. 

But I guess if it's not @lighthouse's cup of tea, that RHCP is certainly one of the missing big names (not my cup of tea either though). 

2 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

They book what is available. Their is no plan like Sziget has. If their is an interesting pop act available they will book them, if not, so be it. 
Their are plenty of options but Rock Werchter doesn’t want a repeat of 2020. With ticket sales below expectations. They need a big seller together with Pearl Jam. And they will have that act. The 2020 Saturday was amazing but had not the effect they wanted. 

1 minute ago, EV123 said:

Billie is doing festivals on her arena tour this year (Mad Cool and NOS alive). So, I can easily see her adding Werchter if it fits the schedule. 

But I guess if it's not @lighthouse's cup of tea, that RHCP is certainly one of the missing big names (not my cup of tea either though). 

That's great, RHCP + Pearl Jam would be absolutely insane.

7 minutes ago, EV123 said:

Musically, RHCP are actually my cup of tea. But they're just so utterly boring live. Also, can't see where you would put them. If Pearl Jam cancels, RHCP may be a replacement. And I think Ken maybe refers to Royal Blood as a big act here. 

It's good that they have confirmed they want a similar lineup next year. The mix of genres was what made this one so good.

Edited by lighthouse

2 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

Any guesses on when we‘ll see first names? Days, weeks, months?

As I said, I had hope PJ‘s announcement is imminent.

The plan is to do something in the normal weekend. 
But in the land of Werchter, plans can change quickly.

45 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Arcade Fire returns to touring next year too. They are teasing new music. 

And didn't Arctic Monkeys plan to play a couple of huge Sheffield dates next year? 

Phew, lots of exciting opportunities. 

As far as I'm concerned AM are the best indie band going but even I hope they stay away, don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a gig as when I saw them for the first time at Werchter 2018. It was like they were playing the songs at 75% speed? I'm praying for Tame Impala and the Strokes to come back. Any news on an extra day @Ken19?

37 minutes ago, Aech said:

As far as I'm concerned AM are the best indie band going but even I hope they stay away, don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a gig as when I saw them for the first time at Werchter 2018. It was like they were playing the songs at 75% speed? I'm praying for Tame Impala and the Strokes to come back. Any news on an extra day @Ken19?

I hope so, not sure yet. The event business  needs it in Belgium, an extra day to earn money on such big festival. It would make a lot of difference for a lot of people. The local sports teams and clubs can use it... There are some people living in the area who rather want to see the festival disappear.. You know, people who were not living there when the festival started, but came to live there because it is nice and quiet. A typical Belgian problem. 

Do you know if Werchter is going to start making announcements before September? Wanna know whether to hold on to my ticket for next year or to get it refunded in Sept as I’m not a local and would need to start looking into travel etc

Edited by unodosseb

11 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

@Ken19 Are Arcade Fire doing anything or? Sorry for asking but I got obsessed with the idea of them being around next year doing All Points East and some European festivals but unsure. They are meant to be doing an album at the moment but are they planning shows?

No idea, but I don't think every band can tour next year. There is too much on the market. I you see how many headliners are already playing Primavera. I hope so, still one of the best live bands. But I guess 2022 makes more sense. 

48 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

It seems to be that they are touring, but early - mid June. Not in their period. Indoor show this time? I hope so. 

Strange they weren‘t announced for Primavera today. Headline seems packed. Would they play Europe in June and not be at Primavera? Some last minute cancellation maybe?