Rock Werchter 2021

The_Preach

2 minutes ago, RubenFrusciante said:

I still can't understand how somebody could refer to RHCP as somniferous.
Songs like 'Can't stop', 'By the way', 'Give it away' being played jumping around, how can that be 'a snoozefest'?
I can understand you don't like their music but the energy these guys bring with them I think is great, especially considering their age. But of course everyone has their own opinion, I just can't understand it :).
But as suggested above, instead of Twenty One Pilots wouldn't be crazy I guess.

In fact I really like their music, especially their older stuff.

But their performances at Rock Werchter were always very stale. I(And I'm not alone, can remember that a lot of people were very negative about their shows in 06,1 and 16). I really looked forward to seeing them, but every time something was missing for some reason. Just like Kings Of Leon, they've turned into a 'meh' kind of liveband for me...

Its harsh to say, but it really was up to Editors in 16 to electrify the crows again after that flat RHCP performance. 

1 hour ago, RubenFrusciante said:

I still can't understand how somebody could refer to RHCP as somniferous.
Songs like 'Can't stop', 'By the way', 'Give it away' being played jumping around, how can that be 'a snoozefest'?
I can understand you don't like their music but the energy these guys bring with them I think is great, especially considering their age. But of course everyone has their own opinion, I just can't understand it :).
But as suggested above, instead of Twenty One Pilots wouldn't be crazy I guess.

Because if a band sing with with no sole and enthusiasm then it doesn't come over as well. I have seen them very good but I've also watched them sound pretty bad.

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

But their performances at Rock Werchter were always very stale. I(And I'm not alone, can remember that a lot of people were very negative about their shows in 06,1 and 16). I really looked forward to seeing them, but every time something was missing for some reason. Just like Kings Of Leon, they've turned into a 'meh' kind of liveband for me...

Its harsh to say, but it really was up to Editors in 16 to electrify the crows again after that flat RHCP performance. 

Editors are not a band that I would say electrify crowds. I like their older stuff and they are a good band for a fun set but I would never choose to end my night on a headline set from them.

I saw KOL in 2008 when Glastonbury gave them the stint, after that it was all just them not caring. Reading 2009 and Hyde Park were not good.

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Unfortunately never seen them at Rock Werchter since I haven't been able to go to festivals for that lobg.
Saw them at Sportpaleis 2016, great show even with a meh setlist.
Their RW2006 show can be seen in full on youtube (and I have seen it many times).
Especially when I see them playing 'Don't forget me' I can't imagine someone describing it as 'snoozefest', but I respect everyone's opinion.
Really looking forward to see them with Frusciante being in the band.

1 hour ago, RubenFrusciante said:

Unfortunately never seen them at Rock Werchter since I haven't been able to go to festivals for that lobg.
Saw them at Sportpaleis 2016, great show even with a meh setlist.
Their RW2006 show can be seen in full on youtube (and I have seen it many times).
Especially when I see them playing 'Don't forget me' I can't imagine someone describing it as 'snoozefest', but I respect everyone's opinion.
Really looking forward to see them with Frusciante being in the band.

Their energy was not the same with Josh. I saw RHCP only once with John (Paris, 2006) and 3 times with Josh (2012, 2016, 2017), he took each time more place on stage but not the same as John. I think shows will be really good next Summer :)

RHCP is my favorite live band and the only band I collect bootlegs for (have like 98% of those that circulate) and I never understood the energy complaint. Anthony is the weak link there and he messes up a lot (also lost his voice :D ), they don't play that many hits, they jam a lot, they don't hype/talk to the crowd, etc. I get those aren't the greatest things for the casual fan but their energy is always there

Like this thing they made up backstage has more energy than every single headliner in 2019 and I loved every one of those 

• Like 1

The first batch of names for Primavera 2021 is out and there are some interesting things to note for Werchter:

- Names that are repeated for PS2021 that should've played RW2020: Beck, Cigarettes After Sex, Disclosure, Fontaines D.C., Jehnny Beth, Mabel, The Strokes

- Names that are not repeated for PS2021 that should've played RW2020: Brittany Howard, Kacey Musgraves

- New (large) names that are very interesting for RW2021: Gorillaz, Tame Impala, Jamie XX

First reconfirmed show for The Strokes! Gorillaz, Tame Impala and Jamie XX touring is exciting news! Bit sad about Brittany and Kacey not being reconfirmed (yet).

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, EV123 said:

The first batch of names for Primavera 2021 is out and there are some interesting things to note for Werchter:

- Names that are repeated for PS2021 that should've played RW2020: Beck, Cigarettes After Sex, Disclosure, Fontaines D.C., Jehnny Beth, Mabel, The Strokes

- Names that are not repeated for PS2021 that should've played RW2020: Brittany Howard, Kacey Musgraves

- New (large) names that are very interesting for RW2021: Gorillaz, Tame Impala, Jamie XX

First reconfirmed show for The Strokes! Gorillaz, Tame Impala and Jamie XX touring is exciting news! Bit sad about Brittany and Kacey not being reconfirmed (yet).

Thanks for the overview! I really love to hear Gorillaz is going to tour in 2021 and Tame Impala as well. Maybe this means the combination of The strokes - Tame Impala is possible now! Maybe Gorillaz - Pearl Jam or Gorillaz instead of TOP?

17 minutes ago, The_Preach said:

Thanks for the overview! I really love to hear Gorillaz is going to tour in 2021 and Tame Impala as well. Maybe this means the combination of The strokes - Tame Impala is possible now! Maybe Gorillaz - Pearl Jam or Gorillaz instead of TOP?

That would really be a dream scenario... Add The National in the Barn somewhere and it'll be the best Werchter ever.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

That would really be a dream scenario... Add The National in the Barn somewhere and it'll be the best Werchter ever.

I'll quote that. 

DREAM MODUS:

Thu: (...) - Pixies - Faith No More - Pearl Jam

(Barn: Wilco, Beck, Disclosure)

Fri: (...) - Liam Gallagher - Tame Impala - The Strokes

(Barn: Archive, The National)

Sat: (...) - Gorillaz - Kendrick Lamar

(Barn: Jorja Smith, The Streets, Jamie XX)

Sun: (...) - Placebo - Volbeat - System Of a Down 

(Barn: Michael Kiwanuka, mister Thom Yorke)

not sure about gorillaz as they've been there soon, but tame impala should be there to be honest. it all depends if the other headliners come back (the strokes and FNM probably, there is some doubt on kendrick, SOAD and pearl jam) 

9 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

not sure about gorillaz as they've been there soon, but tame impala should be there to be honest. it all depends if the other headliners come back (the strokes and FNM probably, there is some doubt on kendrick, SOAD and pearl jam) 

I don't think there should be any doubt about Pearl jam? They promised to return and have already reconfirmed the European Lollapalooza's. 

FNM is very likely, but not yet 100 % sure as I don't expect them to play both Graspop and Werchter and they are still available for the Graspop dates too. 

50 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Tame Impala was supposed to play 2021... but with 2020 delayed I wasn’t sure anymore. Fingers crossed.

Do you mean they have rescheduled to the June periode instead of beginning of July for example? Or do you mean if it is not sure if there is a spot free for them because other acts who would play in 2020 have been moved to 2021?

38 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I'll quote that. 

DREAM MODUS:

Thu: (...) - Pixies - Faith No More - Pearl Jam

(Barn: Wilco, Beck, Disclosure)

Fri: (...) - Liam Gallagher - Tame Impala - The Strokes

(Barn: Archive, The National)

Sat: (...) - Gorillaz - Kendrick Lamar

(Barn: Jorja Smith, The Streets, Jamie XX)

Sun: (...) - Placebo - Volbeat - System Of a Down 

(Barn: Michael Kiwanuka, mister Thom Yorke)

Is it just me or does the Friday and Saturday look way stronger than the other 2 days hahaha. 

2 minutes ago, The_Preach said:

Is it just me or does the Friday and Saturday look way stronger than the other 2 days hahaha. 

Fridays ridiculous but Sat would be my weakest day, seen Gorillaz and Kendrick before and wasn't all that impressed.

21 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

Gorillaz headlined in 2018 just like Pearl Jam did. SOAD headlined just a year before that. I wouldn't say that's a main concern. Also, you can see that the PS2021 lineup is quite a mash-up of their 2019&2020 editions.

Strokes is looking quite certain. I believe Kendrick will return too, looks like TDE are planning a massive release for their main artists this/next year. Tame Impala seems like a plausible option as he was rumored for 2020/2021. I've seen Kevin play live 2 times before. Can't wait for a third time.

The thing is RW will want to be MASSIVE. Considering their 2020 lineup they're off to a great start.

15 minutes ago, Aech said:

Fridays ridiculous but Sat would be my weakest day, seen Gorillaz and Kendrick before and wasn't all that impressed.

Gorillaz was magical in 2018. Really great (QOTSA was a great starter too). 

This video captures the atmosphere perfectly. Special mention to the version of Andromeda, when the soul singers start to sing. Goosebumps. 

Edited by lighthouse