Glastonbury releasing the lineup anyway

Matt42

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Right, what do we have:

Friday – Kendrick, Fatboy Slim, Thom Yorke, Editors, London Grammar (?)

Saturday – Macca, Dua Lipa, Isley Brothers, Primal Scream, Manics

Sunday – Taylor, Pet Shop Boys, Kano, Charli XCX, Caribou (?)

Friday looks the weakest (or at least most standard fare), King Kenny excepted. You could imagine quite a lot of people without an option they're actually that buzzed about. That's interesting. Park is guesswork unless others here have better intel obviously.

I didn't think Caribou was likely for SNH but if that was the case I'd be sorted

3 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Right, what do we have:

Friday looks the weakest (or at least most standard fare), King Kenny excepted. You could imagine quite a lot of people without an option they're actually that buzzed about. That's interesting. Park is guesswork unless others here have better intel obviously.

I can imagine on Saturday Macca and Dua taking a huge portion of the attendees and it being a bit quiet elsewhere.

Edited by Matt42

45 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Right, what do we have:

I'd have a headliner I'd be happy with each night.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I didn’t realise the specials subbed in 2009. I’ve been scratching my head at how they can even be considered “third down” but I guess they are bigger than I think they are.

That was just after one of their reunions and amidst a 30 year anniversary tour so flatters them a little, also The Fratellis played in that slot the year before ahah.

I'm not knocking them or that performance though, it was great fun in the sun. My dad was on the big screen and hasn't stopped going on about it since. Was a great lead in to going to the other stage to see half of Bloc Party.

Yeah p sure Manics were confirmed to be playing Friday, right?

Here's how I see it.

Fri
PyKendrick Lamar
WH: Thom Yorke
JP: Editors
Pa: Manic Street Preachers

Sat
Py: Paul McCartney
WH: The Isley Brothers
JP: Charli xcx
Pa: Caribou

Sun
Py: Taylor Swift
WH: Kano
JP: FKA Twigs
Pa: London Grammar

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah p sure Manics were confirmed to be playing Friday, right?

Here's how I see it.

Fri
PyKendrick Lamar
WH: Thom Yorke
JP: Editors
Pa: Manic Street Preachers

Sat
Py: Paul McCartney
WH: The Isley Brothers
JP: Charli xcx
Pa: Caribou

Sun
Py: Taylor Swift
WH: Kano
JP: FKA Twigs
Pa: London Grammar

I believe Nicky Wire said ‘Friday or Saturday’ but can’t remember if there was any confirmation after that. 

I reckon Primal Scream would be more likely to get the headliner gig than FKA, but then I’m not sure how that would work out day-wise.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I believe Nicky Wire said ‘Friday or Saturday’ but can’t remember if there was any confirmation after that. 

I reckon Primal Scream would be more likely to get the headliner gig than FKA, but then I’m not sure how that would work out day-wise.

Didn't Primal Scream confirm themselves to be playing Saturday night though, and there's also info that Charli xcx was headlining the JP on Saturday, so presumably they were subbing her.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Primal Scream as a “rock & roll” alternative to Taylor and PSB sounds right to me. It’s almost inconceivable there wouldn’t be a guitar band on offer somewhere at headliner time.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Primal Scream as a “rock & roll” alternative to Taylor and PSB sounds right to me. It’s almost inconceivable there wouldn’t be a guitar band on offer somewhere at headliner time.

Eh it p much happened on the Sunday in 2017, unless you count Metronomy which is a bit of a stretch.

9 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Didn't Primal Scream confirm themselves to be playing Saturday night though, and there's also info that Charli xcx was headlining the JP on Saturday, so presumably they were subbing her.

I don’t think there was ever anything saying Charli XCX was Saturday, we all just assumed that made most sense. Clashing her with Dua Lipa or Taylor Swift seems strange so she could just as easily be the Sunday JP headliner.

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Eh it p much happened on the Sunday in 2017, unless you count Metronomy which is a bit of a stretch.

I’d count Metronomy, but let’s say we don’t... Over the last eight festivals I only count two nights where there hasn’t been an indie/rock headliner on any of the Pyramid/Other/JP.

17 - Sheeran/BBK/Metronomy 

16 - Adele/New Order*/M83

*Depending on how strict you are with definitions.

That’s 22 out of the last 24 nights there has been a guitar based offering.

Edited by Hugh Jass

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I don’t think there was ever anything saying Charli XCX was Saturday, we all just assumed that made most sense. Clashing her with Dua Lipa or Taylor Swift seems strange so she could just as easily be the Sunday JP headliner.

Ahh okay, I thought there was, but that might just have been the echo chamber that is this forum.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d count Metronomy, but let’s say we don’t... Over the last eight festivals I only count two nights where there hasn’t been an indie/rock headliner on any of the Pyramid/Other/JP.

17 - Sheeran/BBK/Metronomy 

16 - Adele/New Order*/M83

*Depending on how strict you are with definitions.

That’s 22 out of the last 24 nights there has been a guitar based offering.

So it happens, then.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just not very often.

Happened at 2 of the last 3 festivals, possibly 3 of 4 if this year was similar to what we're predicting. Looks like it might become more and more common at the festival.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf you’d have to be a weird fuck to say Metronomy, M83 or legendary indie rock band New Order weren’t guitar acts.

They play guitars. They sure as hell aren’t ‘rock’ alternatives.

12 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

They play guitars. They sure as hell aren’t ‘rock’ alternatives.

Aren't most guitar bands that play Glastonbury on the indie side rather than the "rock" side though? The three acts mentioned are indie bands that play guitars. And New Order are probably one of the most "Glastonbury" type guitar acts you could possibly have.

Edit: I've MAYBE give you Metronomy, but New Order are absolutely a guitar alternative.

Edited by jparx

17 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Original criteria was just guitar band tho

Well he was talking about Primal Scream being a 'rock and roll' alternative, and then said the thing about guitar band alternatives, which I read to mean more than just an act that play guitars but fair enough.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Edit: I've MAYBE give you Metronomy, but New Order are absolutely a guitar alternative.

Yeah I used Metronomy as an example, not New Order.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I used Metronomy as an example, not New Order

On most songs, Metronomy have two guitarists, a bass guitarist, a drummer and a keyboard player. Acoustic guitar on some songs. I still have no clue how they don’t classify as a rock band. Because you can dance to it?

It’s unbelievably trivial but I won’t rest until you admit your shame.