Glastonbury releasing the lineup anyway

Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You can’t make the argument either that they’ve lost popularity, they are a massive band passed down via generations. 

They’re definitely much less popular than they were the last time they played and even then they surely only subbed at the Stones request. They don’t play particularly big venues these days and were only second stage headliners at Latitude, so while I think they’re still big enough to headline it, subbing JP is hardly an outrageous shout.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also sorry Charli fans, but I found the info of Charli headlining the other stage a bit strange as I don’t really think that slot would be good for her at all.

A prominent slot on the pyramid, other, whatever would work wonders but I feel she’d lose out against some big gun headliners. I don’t really think she’d pull a big crowd headlining the JP.

She was playing the John Peel Stage tho. It was announced today.

I think it's reasonable to think Primal Scream just took a sub slot and the Charli info is right - I don't imagine they're really choosey about what slots they play, they'll play anything.

In general, yes, I'd assume they'd headline JP, but wouldn't it be a bit of a stupid clash with Macca? It may be a better choice for them to play before Macca and get a proper crowd than to headline to stage to a sparse crowd. They've obviously already played much bigger slots than headlining JP so I doubt they'd be that bothered about getting that slot.

Then again Charli subbing would erase her weird clash with Dua Lipa.

But since Charli subbing is the info Neil had, I'll side with that for now.

Primal Scream would have without doubt been the headliner.

This releasing of acts over time will just make me more upset that this year's gone to shit.

Also, does it not show how many of them won't be at 2021? Does this confirm that, on the whole, it'll be completely new lineup?

8 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

This releasing of acts over time will just make me more upset that this year's gone to shit.

Also, does it not show how many of them won't be at 2021? Does this confirm that, on the whole, it'll be completely new lineup?

Don't think it confirms anything either way?

I don’t think it’s shown us or is gonna show us anyone we don’t know about. If anything, just cause debates around placements and bitterness that we couldn’t be there. Nice gesture and makes me think we’ll get something special over Glastonbury weekend.

When Anderson Paak drops on that Pyramid playlist, and I realise I’ve missed out on the Paak/Kendrick double header I’ll be raging.

15 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

The majority of the acts on the lineup will be touring in 2021 instead of 2020.  I’d expect most festival lineups will stay fairly similar.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

They’re definitely much less popular than they were the last time they played and even then they surely only subbed at the Stones request. They don’t play particularly big venues these days and were only second stage headliners at Latitude, so while I think they’re still big enough to headline it, subbing JP is hardly an outrageous shout.

Not to mention all the music they released in the interim lacks all of the energy and edge that the Primals are known for. Proper MOR stuff.

Primal Scream were once my favourite band in the world, if they played a sub slot on JPT, I suspect I might use the time to go and get some food and take a shit instead.

9 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Think Tones & I would have pulled a surprisingly large crowd based on her almost immediate success. Would have watched out of curiosity if no clash

Saw her prior to the lockdown. Definitely worth a watch, very good fun and great voice. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Don't think it confirms anything either way?

1 hour ago, sisco said:

The majority of the acts on the lineup will be touring in 2021 instead of 2020.  I’d expect most festival lineups will stay fairly similar.  

Yeh it's a strange one. There'll probably only be a handful of omissions and additions. This will make 2021 feel even further away not having the excitement of who's playing to look forward to :( sorry to be negative I'm in a crap mood today! The rumours of all gatherings being cancelled for 2021 hasn't helped! 

6 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Yeh it's a strange one. There'll probably only be a handful of omissions and additions. This will make 2021 feel even further away not having the excitement of who's playing to look forward to :( sorry to be negative I'm in a crap mood today! The rumours of all gatherings being cancelled for 2021 hasn't helped! 

The world can’t stop for that long mate.  The whole economy wouldn’t cope with it and we’d never get out of a recesssion

1 minute ago, sisco said:

The world can’t stop for that long mate.  The whole economy wouldn’t cope with it and we’d never get out of a recesssion

No I know, I know it was just rumour mill stuff and speculation. I just didn't need that seed of doubt planted. I know schools and businesses will be back open, but I just hope this is under control in time for them to not see festivals and other large gatherings as a risk. 

11 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

No I know, I know it was just rumour mill stuff and speculation. I just didn't need that seed of doubt planted. I know schools and businesses will be back open, but I just hope this is under control in time for them to not see festivals and other large gatherings as a risk.

Mid July for big gatherings in France apparently.  This summer is a write off but I’d personally be amazed if it goes much further than Sept.

- I realise Sept isn’t really really optimistic either

Edited by sisco

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not to mention all the music they released in the interim lacks all of the energy and edge that the Primals are known for. Proper MOR stuff.

Primal Scream were once my favourite band in the world, if they played a sub slot on JPT, I suspect I might use the time to go and get some food and take a shit instead.

Is that food and a shit locally, with the Primals on in't background to soundtrack said dump, or miles away giving not a single solitary about even hearing Bobby's latest belligerent glasto meltdown?

2 hours ago, sisco said:

Plus aside from any economic considerations - these restrictions require public consent to work and that'll only last so long. There wouldn't be many people left consenting a year from now (probably not even 6 months), and the government would have no choice but to allow events to go ahead with whatever necessary measures in place rather than risk a huge increase in unauthorised gatherings.

Just imagine if gatherings were still banned into the summer of 2021 - Boris would have single handedly recreated the free/illegal festival circuit.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Plus aside from any economic considerations - these restrictions require public consent to work and that'll only last so long. There wouldn't be many people left consenting a year from now (probably not even 6 months), and the government would have no choice but to allow events to go ahead with whatever necessary measures in place rather than risk a huge increase in unauthorised gatherings.

Just imagine if gatherings were still banned into the summer of 2021 - Boris would have single handedly recreated the free/illegal festival circuit.

Fully agree.  All still feels very strange to me as my life hasn’t massively changed due to being a key worker.

I’ll stick to every rule that’s thrown at me but even for me another few months of this and no Gigs, Festivals, Trips away or days out with the kids will kill me.

16 minutes ago, ogriff said:

Is that food and a shit locally, with the Primals on in't background to soundtrack said dump, or miles away giving not a single solitary about even hearing Bobby's latest belligerent glasto meltdown?

Wherever had the food I fancied. From being the most exciting, unpredictable band on the planet, I'm now totally indifferent. To be fair those long drops near JPT are the best bogs on site.

We’ve been in lockdown for just over three weeks, it’s literally nothing in the grand scheme of things. There is no way things will be as they are now in a years time. I know this is way more serious than the flu, but we coexist with that and do not give it a second thought. Once this has been round for long enough it will just become part of life and largely forgotten about. One way or the other it won’t be impinging on our normal way of life a year from now, like it is currently.

3 hours ago, sisco said:

Mid July for big gatherings in France apparently.  This summer is a write off but I’d personally be amazed if it goes much further than Sept.

- I realise Sept isn’t really really optimistic either

If that means that there's still a chance that a smaller, more compact Boomtown 2020 is still a possibility in the UK in mid-August I say BLOODY YES!

Bought a ticket after Glastonbury was pulled, on the basis that its going ahead was not impossible. What a late-summer blow-out for me that would be. That would also almost certainly mean that Child 2 and Child 3 could go to Lost Village, which I'd really love them to get to, as it'll be so much fun coming out of this...

Obviously they could both be complete non-starters, but I'm remaining cautiously positive about the prospects.

Ben

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They are playing of the back of their singles album so the set list is full of bangers. I’m with you on what they do at the minute but I did see them on this tour and they looked like they were having a lot of fun and sounded great. I would definitely go and see them if nothing else took my fancy elsewhere