What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

Binged the eric andre show recently which I had somehow never seen before, haven't laughed so hard at anything on tv for a very long time. Completely insane

Also been going through Aunty Donna's Big Ol House Of Fun on netflix, another one with really bizarre humour. Some sketches kind of miss for me but a few have got a chuckle

47 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Wonder Woman will be released at cinemas and on HBO demand on Christmas Day in the States. Not good news for cinemas when it’s safe for them to reopen.

Things is 2021 movie release calendar is packed with trying to fit two years worth of movies in one year, alot of films that should be sure fire billion making films will underperform just because they will only be opening for a couple of weeks before their runs is stopped for the next blockbuster. Off the top of my head there's new Bond, 4 marvel films, new Mission Impossible, new Fast & The Furious, Matrix 4, 2 Disney animations, Venom 2, West Side Story by Steven Spielberg, new Minions, new Ghostbusters, King Kong vs Godzilla, Top Gun 2, Dune and probably more I'm forgetting, there's no lack of films in 2021.

At least this is a 2020 movie release and in the UK it's getting a run from the 16th Dec.

Personally I'm looking forward to the new Edgar Wright film Last Night in Soho next year :) but will proably flop ;(

Edited by jump

55 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Wonder Woman will be released at cinemas and on HBO demand on Christmas Day in the States. Not good news for cinemas when it’s safe for them to reopen.

Tbh I can’t imagine this film is gonna be great/good at all or that it was gonna be a particularly huge blockbuster (by comic book movie standards, anyway) so making it somewhat of a sacrificial lamb makes sense considering they need to make room for all the films coming out next year. I’m sure it’ll get a minor re-release in cinemas once everything’s cleared up anyway.

Plus I had no intention of going to the cinema to see this so this means I can just wait for the inevitable leak the next day 😄

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbh I can’t imagine this film is gonna be great/good at all or that it was gonna be a particularly huge blockbuster (by comic book movie standards, anyway) 

The last one made about 800m even coming off the horrible Batman Vs Superman (fuck that movie) which introduced her and the sequel generally does better than the first so this should be doing decent numbers.

I liked the first one but wasn't a huge fan (the baddies were shit and had too much bad cgi) but apparently the director had to fight some stupid fights in the first film, like the no mans land scene which is generally the highlight of it was meant to be cut by the execs and the director barely managed to keep it in. Now that Petty Jenkins has clout she should have a lot more freedom to make it actually decent this time round especially as it's not dealing with the origin story which always bog down the first superhero film.

16 minutes ago, jump said:

The last one made about 800m even coming off the horrible Batman Vs Superman (fuck that movie) which introduced her and the sequel generally does better than the first so this should be doing decent numbers.

I liked the first one but wasn't a huge fan (the baddies were shit and had too much bad cgi) but apparently the director had to fight some stupid fights in the first film, like the no mans land scene which is generally the highlight of it was meant to be cut by the execs and the director barely managed to keep it in. Now that Petty Jenkins has clout she should have a lot more freedom to make it actually decent this time round especially as it's not dealing with the origin story which always bog down the first superhero film.

Yeah the first one was okay but I think it got way overhyped because of it being the first not totally dogshit DC film and also first female superhero lead + female director, but judging from the trailers this one looks... not great. Got a feeling it isn’t gonna go down the ‘origin story out of the way so let’s get to the good stuff’ route and is gonna be more a hodgepodge of overstuffed ideas and too many silly villains. If there’s any film from the 2020 schedule that I’m not surprised about being rush released, it’s this, as I think the studio may be aware that it’s potentially gonna get a bit of a critical thrashing.

But that’s just the pessimist in me (especially when talking about DC films) so we’ll just have to see!

I see it’s going straight to HBO Max free to stream which is great. Clearly learnt a thing or two from Disney charging $30 to stream Mulan which never seemed like it was something that could be done in the long run for films like this.

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah the first one was okay but I think it got way overhyped because of it being the first not totally dogshit DC film and also first female superhero lead + female director, but judging from the trailers this one looks... not great. Got a feeling it isn’t gonna go down the ‘origin story out of the way so let’s get to the good stuff’ route and is gonna be more a hodgepodge of overstuffed ideas and too many silly villains. If there’s any film from the 2020 schedule that I’m not surprised about being rush released, it’s this, as I think the studio may be aware that it’s potentially gonna get a bit of a critical thrashing.

But that’s just the pessimist in me (especially when talking about DC films) so we’ll just have to see!

I see it’s going straight to HBO Max free to stream which is great. Clearly learnt a thing or two from Disney charging $30 to stream Mulan which never seemed like it was something that could be done in the long run for films like this.

I disagree, I'm quietly hopeful on it but I could be wrong. 

Personally I see King Kong vs Godzilla being the biggest clusterfuck from this year moved to next, I wanted to like the last few of these but I couldn't get into them and just looked it up this one is opening between Marvel's Black Widow and The Fast & Furious 9 both of which are mega blockbusters. Although I don't understand how Fast and The Furious got so big, it's literally a bigger franchise than Bond now.

Edited by jump

Is there any other man/women out there who is being forced to bing most days on bloody eastenders.. Bloody orrible.. Always bad,, sad,, things happening and more murderers in a square block than bloody the whole of London.. 

10 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I've got pretty high hopes for it. Great character, clear visual style, doesn't look to be tied up in any other DC universe shit, could be onto a winner. They have no plans to bring HBOMax over here though so fuck knows when we'll be able to watch it.

There's a proper Marvel back up next year, you wonder if some of those will end up on Disney+ instead to goad people back after a (for the most part) satisfying end to what we've seen before. Although maybe Wandavision might fill that role (January 15th, buzzin).

@guypjfreak I watch East Enders occasionally because afterwards my own life seems so much better which cheers me up!!! It’s never as bad as EastEnders!! 
in their defence they script writers did and do excellent storylines on Domestic Abuse and Teenage Criminal Exploitation etc which I use at work for opening up discussion and awareness raising and accessing support!! 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Is there any other man/women out there who is being forced to bing most days on bloody eastenders.. Bloody orrible.. Always bad,, sad,, things happening and more murderers in a square block than bloody the whole of London.. 

I’ve a bit of an aversion to the popular soaps such as east enders ,  coronation st and Emmerdale farm. I’ve always found them depressing but my old mum used to be addicted and Mrs c still watches them so they’ve always been on in my long lifetime!  For me it’s always been classic comedy whether it was Steptoe, Monty Python, the office, detectorists etc and stuff like Auf  Weidersehen pet.   At least nowadays technology means you don’t have to sit round the telly with only two channels! 

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’ve a bit of an aversion to the popular soaps such as east enders ,  coronation st and Emmerdale farm. I’ve always found them depressing but my old mum used to be addicted and Mrs c still watches them so they’ve always been on in my long lifetime!  For me it’s always been classic comedy whether it was Steptoe, Monty Python, the office, detectorists etc and stuff like Auf  Weidersehen pet.   At least nowadays technology means you don’t have to sit round the telly with only two channels! 

Nice to know I'm not alone... They can cover important issues funkychick but cor it is depressing.. I'm with Chris.. Abit of comedy is needed... One foot in the grave my favourite.. Now you just don't believe it lol 

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The Mandalorian S2E4 - highlight of the season so far for me, and I say that as someone who loved E1. 

I'll admit there's a bit more fan service than usual this week but as I fan, I feel serviced. 

I’m still really enjoying it but it’s fallen in to a trope were every episode follows the same basic plot line:

’Hello side character, I need your help with something to move the plot along ever so slightly.’

’I/We can help you move the plot along but first you must do a favour for me/us.’

It’s not a huge problem, but it’s becoming more and more noticeable by the week.

Still though, I’m constantly amazed at just how fucking good this all looks, and all of the fan service is what I’m here for. So much teasing going on in every episode and I can’t wait to see some of these big payoffs.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m still really enjoying it but it’s fallen in to a trope were every episode follows the same basic plot line:

’Hello side character, I need your help with something to move the plot along ever so slightly.’

’I/We can help you move the plot along but first you must do a favour for me/us.’

It’s not a huge problem, but it’s becoming more and more noticeable by the week.

To an extent I think it's deliberate. It’s not a Shakespearean character study but a Saturday night teatime family show a la Kung Fu or The A Team - or earlier equivalents. The destination is besides the point, it's just a frame to hang episodes onto - and you can dip in or dip out as you choose.

It's just 40 minutes of fun every week, with an admittedly incredible layer of fan service.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Still though, I’m constantly amazed at just how fucking good this all looks, and all of the fan service is what I’m here for. So much teasing going on in every episode and I can’t wait to see some of these big payoffs.

Aye I know what you mean. After the end of the previous episode I should have been more upset about them holding off Ashoka for another week, but they're smart enough to bring back two big fan favourites to tide us over.

This episode looked unbelievable aye. The chase scene at the end might be the best action scene they've had yet, even better than the Krayt Dragon. props to Carl Weathers who directed! 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To an extent I think it's deliberate. It’s not a Shakespearean character study but a Saturday night teatime family show a la Kung Fu or The A Team - or earlier equivalents. The destination is besides the point, it's just a frame to hang episodes onto - and you can dip in or dip out as you choose.

It's just 40 minutes of fun every week, with an admittedly incredible layer of fan service.

And it is a huge amount of fun. I laughed out loud 3 times at the Child this week, and smiled pretty much through the rest of the episode. It is what is it, but it's great at what it is.

12 hours ago, henry bear said:

Watching The Undoing. Strong cast (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland) that carry the thin plot, but enjoyable all the same. Frustrating that you have to wait a whole week for the next episode though. WTF!

Yes I hate that these days which is why I tend to wait until they have been on. Also has the bonus side effect that if people say the ending is bobbins then I don't ever waste my time on it.