What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

19 hours ago, ModernMan said:

After Life sits in a really odd place in my opinion. It’s watchable but at the same time some of the writing is so bad and characters really poorly drawn. The therapist is one of the worst ever written, his personality is so jarring and makes absolutely no sense. 

I love Gervais, The Office and Extras are two of the best sitcoms ever written but I think Stephen Merchant’s contribution is sorely missed in all of Ricky’s work since. Anyone familiar with the podcasts will also see so much of them ripped off in After Life. 

I think he’s treading old ground and repeating the same lines and jokes now constantly in whatever he does. Every interview he does about After Life he says the same things. 

Will check out The Leftovers after reading this thread. Just started Normal People, pretty good. Also Crip Camp and Circus of Books two goo docs on Netflix.

This, he's been stealing from himself (and Karl) for years now. 

You don't hear Karl get mentioned in the Gervais sphere anymore. Wonder what happened there. Reckon Karl got sick of his sh*t?

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

You don't hear Karl get mentioned in the Gervais sphere anymore. Wonder what happened there. Reckon Karl got sick of his sh*t?

I’m working from memory here, but didn’t he do the joke in the first series about a an old lady being scarred for life, which was lifted pretty much word for world from one of his stand ups? I remember it annoyed me at the time.

I just can't get past the fact that I find Ricky Gervais to be skin-crawlingly obnoxious. I was never certain, but trying to watch the Ricky Gervais Show with the three of them and everything just revolving around him being the verbal bullying kid at school just cemented my opinion.

I just think he's an absolute bellend.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Yeah I reckon. He rinsed him of his use with Idiot Abroad. Ironically, Karl’s series Sick of it is much better than After Life. 

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m working from memory here, but didn’t he do the joke in the first series about a an old lady being scarred for life, which was lifted pretty much word for world from one of his stand ups? I remember it annoyed me at the time.

Yep the first series was ridiculous in how much was lifted. It got such a good reaction because loads of people with Netflix would have no familiarity with his other material, especially the XFM shows and podcasts. 

Have only watched four episodes of series two so this may seem wide or the mark (I’m guessing he sets the woman on the bench up with the newspaper editor...) But one thing that is also really grating on me is the narcissistic way he sits down with the woman on the bench and just blurts out what sort of day he’s had and how he’s feeling. He hasn't’ once in the four episodes I’ve seen asked her anything about her, even though she’s going through the same thing. I know that’s not the point of her character, but it’s still annoying me.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I just can't get past the fact that I find Ricky Gervais to be skin-crawlingly obnoxious. I was never certain, but trying to watch the Ricky Gervais Show with the three of them and everything just revolving around him being the verbal bullying kid at school just cemented my opinion.

I just think he's an absolute bellend.

I can’t watch any of his stuff at all, didn’t even find the Office that original. Hello, Operation Good Guys! My partner adores him and rarely misses anything he does but like you said perfectly I find him to be an obnoxious bully and can never get passed that with Gervais. 

If anyone is looking for something light hearted, 2 series of Hot Property are on iPlayer. It's basically blind date but with hands on investigations of the grotty bedrooms of the still-living-with-parents contestants. The host is charistmatic and funny and can get a lot out of the suitors. It's a lo-fi show in the vein of 90s show StreetMate, rather than contrived reality like First Dates or Eating with my Ex, with everyone involved knowing how absurd the whole premise is. It's yoof programming but BBC Three has the best output.

Edited by Padjeq

5 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

If anyone is looking for something light hearted, 2 series of Hot Property are on iPlayer. It's basically blind date but with hands on investigations of the grotty bedrooms of the still-living-with-parents contestants. The host is charistmatic and funny and can get a lot out of the suitors. It's a lo-fi show in the vein of 90s show StreetMate, rather than contrived reality like First Dates or Eating with my Ex, with everyone involved knowing how absurd the whole premise is. It's yoof programming but BBC Three has the best output.

I’ve seen one, one of the blokes had a dildo under his bed

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve seen one, one of the blokes had a dildo under his bed

I'm guessing this was the one where the presenter suction cupped it to a dresser and used it to open the drawers. Good ingenuity.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, Spindles said:

Westworld season 3 is some of the best telly I've seen in a while, slick and classy with a great soundtrack and the ever lovable Aaron Paul.  Script is almost Alex Garland quality sci-fi.  Talking of which, Devs might not be to everyone's taste, but if you want a spiritual successor to the magnificent Ex Machina soundtrack you'll find it here.

Reading all the gushing praise for BCS I'm tempted to give it another crack, I gave up on it early in season 2 on my first watch, similarly Mr Robot (which again has a reputation for top-flight writing and soundtrack).

Honourable mention for Don't fuck with cats.

Westworld is awesome!! this season is a total track away from the rest, I'll be sad when it ends tbh :( 

Just finished the Homeland finale. 

I've been watching Black Monday regularly... an absurd comedy, based around the stock market crash, lots of snow flying around. 

Excited for Rick and Morty to start back up. 

Just binged the Great Canadian bake off and man I'm hungry. Very lighthearted television, I'll have to try the British (original) version.

6 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Just finished the Homeland finale. 

I've been watching Black Monday regularly... an absurd comedy, based around the stock market crash, lots of snow flying around. 

Excited for Rick and Morty to start back up. 

Just binged the Great Canadian bake off and man I'm hungry. Very lighthearted television, I'll have to try the British (original) version.

I love the Bake Off, it's just reassuringly nice TV to watch.  I'm assuming the Canadian version is the same in that it's never gone down the road of being this ultra-competitive high intensity cut throat show; everyone's just getting on with their baking and drinking tea while they wait for their dough to rise.

Lovely snippet from the original UK version with Mel & Sue.  If a contestant was having a meltdown when their bake had completely failed or something, in order to make sure they couldn't use footage of them losing it in the final broadcast they would stand right with said contestant and use the foulest language possible so it couldn't be used in the show :)

Edited by Quark

On 4/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, Spindles said:

Westworld season 3 is some of the best telly I've seen in a while, slick and classy with a great soundtrack and the ever lovable Aaron Paul.  Script is almost Alex Garland quality sci-fi.  Talking of which, Devs might not be to everyone's taste, but if you want a spiritual successor to the magnificent Ex Machina soundtrack you'll find it here.

Reading all the gushing praise for BCS I'm tempted to give it another crack, I gave up on it early in season 2 on my first watch, similarly Mr Robot (which again has a reputation for top-flight writing and soundtrack).

Honourable mention for Don't fuck with cats.

I'm watching Devs at the moment (only on episode 3 so no spoilers!) 

I'm hoping it will be as good as I'm expecting Ex Machina and Annihilation gave me chills - The soundtrack is so great at making you feel both completely compelled and seriously uncomfortable at the same time. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm watching Devs at the moment (only on episode 3 so no spoilers!) 

I'm hoping it will be as good as I'm expecting Ex Machina and Annihilation gave me chills - The soundtrack is so great at making you feel both completely compelled and seriously uncomfortable at the same time. 

I was already singing Devs' praises on here last week. It’s sensational, enjoy! 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

I was already singing Devs' praises on here last week. It’s sensational, enjoy! 

Currently on episode 6 of Devs based on the recommendations on here.  Cracking show!  It nicely filled the post Better Call Saul void.

Not telly related but I really enjoyed the first of James Acaster's new BBC podcast arguing for 2016 being the finest year of music ever. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08b4z3q First episode reviewing Beyonce - Lemonade with Romesh Ranganthan. In fairness James does have a point about 2016, the quality of albums released that year is a high point for the last decade. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I love the Bake Off, it's just reassuringly nice TV to watch.  I'm assuming the Canadian version is the same in that it's never gone down the road of being this ultra-competitive high intensity cut throat show; everyone's just getting on with their baking and drinking tea while they wait for their dough to rise.

Lovely snippet from the original UK version with Mel & Sue.  If a contestant was having a meltdown when their bake had completely failed or something, in order to make sure they couldn't use footage of them losing it in the final broadcast they would stand right with said contestant and use the foulest language possible so it couldn't be used in the show :)

There is moments of slight stress but it is all light hearted and encouraging, many moments of contestants helping each other!

The midnight gospel.... has anyone watched yet?

Its netflix' new animated series... a bit like an animated podcast style. I enjoyed the discussions and the animation.... main character is on a journey of self realization and the last episode emotionally impacted me in a way that I usually avoid. 

8 hours ago, MetaKate said:

For a less professional but hugely hilarious lighthearted baking show try Nailed it. Nicole Byers the host is funny and it's reality show that isn't cruel as they all know they are shit going in. The Donald Trump cake from the 1st or 2nd series and the sloth cake from this series is comedy gold!!

3 hours ago, MetaKate said:

The midnight gospel.... has anyone watched yet?

Its netflix' new animated series... a bit like an animated podcast style. I enjoyed the discussions and the animation.... main character is on a journey of self realization and the last episode emotionally impacted me in a way that I usually avoid. 

I saw the first one. Reminded me of the Rick and Morty improv advertisement episodes, but with a bit of that Adventure Time cuteness. I liked it and I'm gonna continue but it's so weird to watch

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Did you see the story recently where Mel & Sue quit on the first day because they thought that it was a typical reality show trying to make people cry. Think their influence is probably why it is so popular because I really hate most reality tv because I hate how cruel a lot of it is but I love GBBO. 

Just finished all 9 episodes of Gangs of London on sky.  Pretty brutal stuff and must have used up shed loads of artificial blood and gore. Certainly ain’t as relaxing as bake off!  Going to move on to the detectorists, a lot more pleasant and a typical gentle comedy set in the English countryside.