What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

30 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Watched the Saville thing on Netflix yesterday, obviously knew what a mega Peado he was but this lays it bare what complete monster he was. Did get a bit bored at times mind, could’ve been one episode, but I guess they had so much old footage of him they wanted to use.

I watched it in one sitting this week too. I found the first ep going into his level of fame and power particularly interesting. Being too young to see it myself to see him now is to think "well of course." But how untouchable he was through the image he built of himself and the connections he made put a lot of context to it for me.

Of course a lot of the jokes, comments, actions he made on TV would look gross in hindsight if he hadn't turned out to be the predator he was, with that knowledge they're plain scary.

22 minutes ago, 1986 said:

I watched it in one sitting this week too. I found the first ep going into his level of fame and power particularly interesting. Being too young to see it myself to see him now is to think "well of course." But how untouchable he was through the image he built of himself and the connections he made put a lot of context to it for me.

Of course a lot of the jokes, comments, actions he made on TV would look gross in hindsight if he hadn't turned out to be the predator he was, with that knowledge they're plain scary.

I think Ian Hislop summed it up well, essentially if you’re an oddball for long enough you eventually turn into a national treasure, which is what happened with Saville, and then everyone just accepts everything you say.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Watched the Saville thing on Netflix yesterday, obviously knew what a mega Peado he was but this lays it bare what complete monster he was. Did get a bit bored at times mind, could’ve been one episode, but I guess they had so much old footage of him they wanted to use.

the phrase hiding in plain sight exactly describes this monster perfectly.  I grew up listening to him in the early days of radio one. He was never really properly into music like other R1 and Caroline DJs. He just used music as a vehicle for self publicity, cultivating celebrity friends  and boosting his ego. 

• Upvote 1

Sport related but still a series nonetheless, I’ve just smashed all 40 episodes of Drive To Survive on Netflix in just over a week. Was always under the narrow minded impression that Formula 1 was a stupid sport but after watching that I’m literally obsessed! Brilliant watch, Netflix don’t half know how to do a documentary 

1 hour ago, Brad2434 said:

Sport related but still a series nonetheless, I’ve just smashed all 40 episodes of Drive To Survive on Netflix in just over a week. Was always under the narrow minded impression that Formula 1 was a stupid sport but after watching that I’m literally obsessed! Brilliant watch, Netflix don’t half know how to do a documentary 

I haven’t watched the second series yet but Cheer (about US cheerleading) was similarly captivating despite having no knowledge or interest in the sport.

12 hours ago, kalifire said:

I wrote him a Jim’ll Fix It letter when I was a kid. In retrospect I’m glad my request was so inanely shit it would never have gotten picked, because I might have been in the line of danger otherwise. 

This begs the obvious question… what did you ask for? Maybe we can arrange it for you in June!

Edited by John the Moth

Have the week off so catching up with Book Of Boba Fett (nearly finished season 1) interspersed with playing Lego Skywalker Saga (on the Switch) which is;

a) awesome gameplay - I've always loved the Lego franchise but this game is something else!

b) watching & playing in conjunction is ridiculous fun, kind of feel like you're there or have been there!

I was amazed at the Savile documentary and the sheer amount of clips of him essentially saying he was a monster and people just saying 'oh Jimmy you are a card.'

Then at the end everyone saying 'oh we wern't to know.' Especially, his Jim'll Fix it producer, find it ridiculous that he hadn't seen anything on the show.

The ladies testimony at the end was heart breaking as well.

After finishing Top I've gone back round and started Summerhouse again.

18 hours ago, kalifire said:

GET. OUT. 

That’s fantastic news!! 

What a month it is for television. 

Don't mean to brag or anything 😊 but last month I saw a preview screening of 2 episodes from the new series. Both absolute corkers. One in particular is up there with the very best they've ever done, which is saying something for such an incredible show. 

On 4/8/2022 at 12:51 PM, kalifire said:

I struggled a bit with Camping. Julia Davis pretty much phones in her dark, gross-out comedies and has done since Nighty Night season one. Sally4Ever was another one - clunky, Davis-by-numbers shite.

Her career peak will always be Human Remains. Same with Brydon.

Edit: on second thoughts, Marion & Geoff season one is Brydon at the height of his powers.

Make sure you avoid the US version of Camping - the UK one was decent, but not really sure why the tried to remake it over the pond.  Jennifer Garner, David Tennant, Juliette Lewis in it, but really bad.

Watched that last Walking Dead before the final eight episodes in the autumn. It’s ridiculous nonsense but at least it’s entertaining.

Started on Human Resources (the Big Mouth spin off) and looking forward to Derry Girls. Good to have Travel Man back as well.

Anyone else very disappointed with The Witchfinder considering the amount of talent involved?

9 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Watched that last Walking Dead before the final eight episodes in the autumn. It’s ridiculous nonsense but at least it’s entertaining.

I stuck with The Walking Dead a lot longer than most people I know out of sheer determination that I’d come this far and wanted to see where it went, but I ended up just giving up a couple of seasons ago and haven’t looked back. It’s just not good at all anymore. It always walked the line between genuinely entertaining television and pure soap opera pap, but it’s so far in to the latter territory these days that I find it unwatchable.

Will probably watch the last episode when it eventually comes out just out of curiosity, although considering they’ve already announced a bunch of spin offs involving several characters I feel it isn’t gonna be the cool finale that you’d hope from a post-apocalyptic series like it and is just gonna be another dull thud. 

On 4/8/2022 at 5:18 PM, kalifire said:

I wrote him a Jim’ll Fix It letter when I was a kid. In retrospect I’m glad my request was so inanely shit it would never have gotten picked, because I might have been in the line of danger otherwise. 

My wife wrote when very young to meet Gary Glitter

😲

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I stuck with The Walking Dead a lot longer than most people I know out of sheer determination that I’d come this far and wanted to see where it went, but I ended up just giving up a couple of seasons ago and haven’t looked back. It’s just not good at all anymore. It always walked the line between genuinely entertaining television and pure soap opera pap, but it’s so far in to the latter territory these days that I find it unwatchable.

Will probably watch the last episode when it eventually comes out just out of curiosity, although considering they’ve already announced a bunch of spin offs involving several characters I feel it isn’t gonna be the cool finale that you’d hope from a post-apocalyptic series like it and is just gonna be another dull thud. 

I'm still invested in The Walking Dead. But have recently thought there seems an awful lot of things still going on for it all to end in a couple of episodes. I've not yet watch any of the previous spin-off shows and have only just seen about the three new shows after reading your post.

Taskmaster was back tonight. Ardal O’Hanlon is Dougal! Was also nice to see Derry Girls return and Inside No. 9 next week is so exciting. The Wim Hof thing is a bit mental, too.

Our 5-month-old is now fully on the CBeebies train - adores Moon and Me and Hey Duggee and Mummy and Daddy like Love Monster, Jojo and GranGran, Nick Cope’s Popcast and Bluey (genuinely amazing). Any other kids’ TV favourites?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Taskmaster was back tonight. Ardal O’Hanlon is Dougal! Was also nice to see Derry Girls return and Inside No. 9 next week is so exciting. The Wim Hof thing is a bit mental, too.

Our 5-month-old is now fully on the CBeebies train - adores Moon and Me and Hey Duggee and Mummy and Daddy like Love Monster, Jojo and GranGran, Nick Cope’s Popcast and Bluey (genuinely amazing). Any other kids’ TV favourites?

Bluey is just excellent. Hey Duggee has lots of slightly surreal brilliance for the grownups while keeping the small ones occupied. I thought Night Garden was a load of rubbish at first but it became a hypnotic must-watch once our firstborn got old enough to be put to bed on his own. Our youngest watched Numberblocks almost continually for two years- can't complain TBH as he's doing great at maths so far 🤣

Back to adult programming- Peaky Blinders finished strongly, new Derry girls was predictably ace (Liam!!!) and I can't wait for No. 9. But favourite recent watch has to be Moon Knight on Disney +