What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

On 4/8/2022 at 2:23 PM, 1986 said:

I watched it in one sitting this week too. I found the first ep going into his level of fame and power particularly interesting. Being too young to see it myself to see him now is to think "well of course." But how untouchable he was through the image he built of himself and the connections he made put a lot of context to it for me.

Of course a lot of the jokes, comments, actions he made on TV would look gross in hindsight if he hadn't turned out to be the predator he was, with that knowledge they're plain scary.

I did a broadcasting degree at Leeds Uni in the early 2000s and, through a series of random connections, Savile ended up being a celebrity guest on my mate's assessed 'live studio show'. 

He was, even at the time, deeply creepy- I remember him trailing his hands along everyone's shoulders in the TFI-style audience corridor as he made his entrance- but we never felt remotely threatened or worried. He was just the weird, super-old oddball from distant memories of 80s TV. But when it all came out that he was this horrific predator, not one of us were even slightly surprised. Can only think it must have been pretty obvious in his prime TV years- fairly terrifying how easily power and influence can keep an obvious wrong'un away from scrutiny for so long. 

Edited by ilovelanegan

Excellent start for Taskmaster.

I love the fact they all seem to be going for it, arguing and taking the piss in the studio. Makes such a difference having the studio back to normal.

I always suspected that Ardal O'Hanlon wasn't having to do too much acting when playing Father Dougal. 

Saw a few great documentaries this week.

Return to Space (Netflix) wasn't the doting Elon Musk fest I had feared and is actually a really compelling look at space travel and engineering, both historically and in the future through the private sector.

House of Maxwell (BBC) managed to take a well-told tale and turn it into an engaging overview of the Maxwell dynasty and disgrace.

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond (Netflix) is about the way Jim Carrey lost himself while filming Man On The Moon, and became Andy Kaufman at all times, filming or not, to the chagrin of those around him. I thought it was jaw dropping.

19 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

Bluey is just excellent. Hey Duggee has lots of slightly surreal brilliance for the grownups while keeping the small ones occupied. I thought Night Garden was a load of rubbish at first but it became a hypnotic must-watch once our firstborn got old enough to be put to bed on his own. Our youngest watched Numberblocks almost continually for two years- can't complain TBH as he's doing great at maths so far 🤣

Back to adult programming- Peaky Blinders finished strongly, new Derry girls was predictably ace (Liam!!!) and I can't wait for No. 9. But favourite recent watch has to be Moon Knight on Disney +

Our baby does not care for In the Night Garden but is absolutely captivated by Moon and Me. They’re in a similar vein so not sure why there’s such a difference.

Would happily watch Bluey without him!

Does it look like there will be an animated Inside No.9?!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:10 AM, ilovelanegan said:

Bluey is just excellent. Hey Duggee has lots of slightly surreal brilliance for the grownups while keeping the small ones occupied. I thought Night Garden was a load of rubbish at first but it became a hypnotic must-watch once our firstborn got old enough to be put to bed on his own. Our youngest watched Numberblocks almost continually for two years- can't complain TBH as he's doing great at maths so far 🤣

Back to adult programming- Peaky Blinders finished strongly, new Derry girls was predictably ace (Liam!!!) and I can't wait for No. 9. But favourite recent watch has to be Moon Knight on Disney +

Sarah and Duck on the BBC is a favourite of ours.

Edited by Wanderlei
Typo
  • Upvote 2

On 4/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, DirtyLurker said:

Have the week off so catching up with Book Of Boba Fett (nearly finished season 1) interspersed with playing Lego Skywalker Saga (on the Switch) which is;

a) awesome gameplay - I've always loved the Lego franchise but this game is something else!

b) watching & playing in conjunction is ridiculous fun, kind of feel like you're there or have been there!

I’ve also been hooked on this all week. Will definitely keep me occupied until June. 

Kenobi is on it’s way soon so that’s going to be pure nostalgia. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve also been hooked on this all week. Will definitely keep me occupied until June. 

Kenobi is on it’s way soon so that’s going to be pure nostalgia. 

Having a full on Star Wars fest - finally got round to watching Force Awakens, Last Jedi & Rise Of Skywalker, via LED projector (2nd hand & ridiculously good quality image and sound!) & a £40 per annum Disney+ deal.  Wanted to have watched before I started those levels on the game, had avoided watching after years of disappointment from Phantom Menace et al - JarJar Binks is as irritating in the game as he ever was on screen, and a seemingly useless character!  

Hadn't realised until I'd started playing that you can choose which of the 3 film groups to start from, I did New Hope and went with release order.

40 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m playing in Saga Order. Have you tried Co-op yet? 

I'm too much of a control freak to play co-op 😉 partner picked up 2nd controller years ago during Lego gaming and proceeded to run off before the room was cleared - like woah Dude! what you doing?  there's still bricks to be smash & grabbed and puzzles to be finished, running off all giddy kipper like we're playing this for fun😆 - I have certain rules; to quote Monica Geller "rules are good, they control the fun" 😆

1st aim to always get the red brick or in this game Data Card to get the x2 multiplier, got to have has much spending power as possible!  Plus a True Jedi in story mode with no additional skills/multipliers is a much bigger win than freeplay.

On 4/16/2022 at 10:45 AM, DirtyLurker said:

I'm too much of a control freak to play co-op 😉 partner picked up 2nd controller years ago during Lego gaming and proceeded to run off before the room was cleared - like woah Dude! what you doing?  there's still bricks to be smash & grabbed and puzzles to be finished, running off all giddy kipper like we're playing this for fun😆 - I have certain rules; to quote Monica Geller "rules are good, they control the fun" 😆

1st aim to always get the red brick or in this game Data Card to get the x2 multiplier, got to have has much spending power as possible!  Plus a True Jedi in story mode with no additional skills/multipliers is a much bigger win than freeplay.

I play a lot of the lego games (marvel, ninjago, etc) with my 9yr old and he sounds like your partner - he's all about story mode and cares not about the collectibles.  I harvest studs when he's not there to try to get the multipliers - then he'll come along and buy characters....nooooo I'm saving for a red brick!!!

46 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I play a lot of the lego games (marvel, ninjago, etc) with my 9yr old and he sounds like your partner - he's all about story mode and cares not about the collectibles.  I harvest studs when he's not there to try to get the multipliers - then he'll come along and buy characters....nooooo I'm saving for a red brick!!!

I’ve just completed the full story. No where near full completion yet. The final game trilogy is just as uninspiring as the final film trilogy. 

Definitely keep going for the multipliers. One of the trophies is for collecting 10 billion studs. 

One playable character worth unlocking early is the Rancor. Lots of fun stomping around. Jabba also has a lick attack which is a little unnerving 

Edited by squirrelarmy

1 hour ago, gary1979666 said:

Yes my middle aged partner is very much like a 9yr old, in so many ways!  This is why I don't play well with others, they ruin my system😉

17 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve just completed the full story. No where near full completion yet. The final game trilogy is just as uninspiring as the final film trilogy. 

Wow, the whole story mode!  I thought I'd played a lot this week but I clearly need to up my game!  Still got the whole of the last trilogy to start yet.  I keep get sidetracked by shiny bricks and wandering off to side quests in-between cut scenes.

On a side note: I replayed Lego Harry Potter double pack during enforced time off due to pandemic, on the Switch after only playing on PS4 previously.  I 100% completed 1-4 but only 99.9% on 5-7 there's a collectable behind a statue where you're chased by Dementors and if you're caught it takes you away from the area.  So annoying because that's the 1st game I've ever fully completed and wanted to do the same on both.  Can see it but can't get it, tried with multiple characters etc

Edited by DirtyLurker
Missed Lego out

19 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

Wow, the whole story mode!  I thought I'd played a lot this week but I clearly need to up my game!  Still got the whole of the last trilogy to start yet.  I keep get sidetracked by shiny bricks and wandering off to side quests in-between cut scenes.

I’ve resisted the sidetracking as a lot of the side quests you can’t do with the storyline characters. The game forces you to replay the levels different ways to get full completion. Easier to do once you complete the story and have unlocked all the character types. 

23 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Just finished Severance on Apple + after I got a free trial and it’s easily the best season of tv I’ve seen in the last ten years. Superbly written and acted.

I miss-timed my 3 month trial thinking For all mankind would be released in January but watched 3 episodes of severance and really enjoyed it...... I'll have to use other means to finish the series 

I started watching Camping because of this thread. It's making me feel genuinely unwell. The characters remind me of the people I encounter when I go to mates' weddings where they're marrying someone they met in uni. I like it though.

Just started season 2 of For All Mankind, and it's great to see a show with big ideas unafraid to explore them as quickly as possible. Now and then I'm reminded it's by the guy that did Battlestar Galactica.

1 hour ago, Padjeq said:

I started watching Camping because of this thread. It's making me feel genuinely unwell. The characters remind me of the people I encounter when I go to mates' weddings where they're marrying someone they met in uni. I like it though.

Just started season 2 of For All Mankind, and it's great to see a show with big ideas unafraid to explore them as quickly as possible. Now and then I'm reminded it's by the guy that did Battlestar Galactica.

Camping is so well written and the characters are brilliant. One of those comedies like the office, you cringe as you laugh. Pity only one series was made. The creepy guy who owned the site, tremendous! 

14 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Watched the first new episode of Better Call Saul and it was another fine slow burner. Now on the Gazza documentary before Inside Number 9.

I forgot how visually sumptuous BCS is. It's a genuine treat for the eyes, in addition to the story. I also forgot how little seems to happen in most episodes, but how the story is so tight (tight! tight!) and complex. I'm wondering whether it's a better show to binge on, if I'm able to hang on. The first half of this season will finish up just a couple of days before I fly over, so what a little pre-Glasto treat that would be. Oh, who am I kidding. I'll devour them week by week.

Loved Inside No. 9 - they've barely put a foot wrong in six seasons and the latest was a strong episode, albeit mostly in retrospect. The banter got a bit tedious watching it the first time. I'm sure the second will be more layered and meaningful.

I'm just finishing off the show about that guy who tried to fake his own death by sailing out on a canoe, then it's time for Russian Doll 2, which I'm hearing mixed reviews about.