What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d be lying if I said any hype I had for anything GOT didn’t go out the window with the final season, but I’ll be going in to this with pretty low expectations so maybe it’ll turn out to be alright:

Looks exactly like the shite dragony medieval show I assumed GOT was before I got talked into watching the first time round (and even that took 5 years).

On 10/2/2021 at 6:41 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

I am absolutely loving Squid Game!

On 10/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, morph100 said:

Just popped in to see if anyone else was watching Squid Game.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:20 AM, Boomtowner said:

Up to episode 6, really enjoying it, but then again Battle Royale is one of my favourite films.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:49 AM, zero000 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed squid game when I’ve been off work sick this week.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:37 PM, Quark said:

Squid Game is improved immensely by watching it in Korean with English subtitles.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:39 PM, gigpusher said:

I think that is the same for most foreign tv or films. 

On 10/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

That doesn't fix the acting from the VIPs

A question regarding Squid Game:

Started watching the first episode with subtitles, but stuff got in the way.

Have since read that there are two different subtitle files. One that just replicates the English dub, and another that is more accurate to the original Korean dialogue.

They are numbered 11 and 12 in the Eee Zed Television version I have. 

Which one should I be using?

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

A question regarding Squid Game:

Started watching the first episode with subtitles, but stuff got in the way.

Have since read that there are two different subtitle files. One that just replicates the English dub, and another that is more accurate to the original Korean dialogue.

They are numbered 11 and 12 in the Eee Zed Television version I have. 

Which one should I be using?

There are subtitles and there is close-captioning. Apparently the CC is auto generated and mangles the translation.

Not sure what platform you use to view but make sure you’re on subs not CC. 🙂

49 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

There are subtitles and there is close-captioning. Apparently the CC is auto generated and mangles the translation.

That's what I'd heard as well.  Apparently the subtitles aren't perfect either and have lost quite a few of the subtleties and so on, but much better than the CCs.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

That's what I'd heard as well.  Apparently the subtitles aren't perfect either and have lost quite a few of the subtleties and so on, but much better than the CCs.

I’ve heard it’s not that bad translation and people pick over any subtitle translations and it’s just this is mega popular it’s been picked up more. No idea which I watched but it was fine, just don’t watch it dubbed. Same goes for Money Heist another excellent program 

8 hours ago, John the Moth said:

7 hours ago, Quark said:

5 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I wish for Squid Games they had used english speaking Korean people for the over dub, instead of the lame American one they went with. Makes it nigh on impossible to get into, so ditched it for the subtitles. 

Thanks, thanks and thanks (out of upvotes).

Didn't know that subtitles and close captioning were different things until today.

9 hours ago, westholtschic said:

The excellent Lie to me with Tim Roth has just come on Disney Star. Only had 3 seasons from 2009-2011 but a very good watch.

Big Tim Roth fan here. Loved Lie To Me.

The first series of Tin Star was also very good. Haven't got around to watching S2.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Thanks, thanks and thanks (out of upvotes).

Didn't know that subtitles and close captioning were different things until today.

Big Tim Roth fan here. Loved Lie To Me.

The first series of Tin Star was also very good. Haven't got around to watching S2.

Oh will give that a go as well then thank you.

21 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Just finished Alice in Borderland. Highly recommended if you’re into Squid Game. 

I preferred Alice in the Borderland.

Really liked Midnight Mass and Clickbait.

Enjoying Brand New Cherry favour at the moment 

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

I preferred Alice in the Borderland.

Really liked Midnight Mass and Clickbait.

Enjoying Brand New Cherry favour at the moment 

I really enjoyed Squid game but i preferred Alice in Borderland too. Season 2 out soon i think. 

Extra Curricular is next and then D.P. 

Clickbait was ok. 

17 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Brassic is back today 🙌 

Honestly can't think of a show that makes me laugh so much in recent years. Joe Gilgun is a treasure. Just watched the first ep and it's brilliant as ever - probably going to get through the rest before the week is over.

Just came here to post this. Can’t wait to get stuck in absolutely loved the first 2 series 

On 10/4/2021 at 2:47 PM, zero000 said:

Never understand watching media  dubbed. Completely ruins the immersion for me. 

I found that with Money Heist - it felt more engaging in the original Spanish than with English dubs. Netflix defaulted to a dub and I did try it out, but it never really connected with me to seeing the actor's lips moving in a different language to what they were actually saying.

This also weirdly reminded me of being in a hotel in Italy seeing dubbed versions of The Simpsons and Family Guy and it did feel slightly surreal watching a show I recognise in English coming out in a different language.

Yet to try Squid Game but memes based on it are everywhere so I feel like it might be worth viewing just to give those context.

20 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Brassic is back today 🙌 

Honestly can't think of a show that makes me laugh so much in recent years. Joe Gilgun is a treasure. Just watched the first ep and it's brilliant as ever - probably going to get through the rest before the week is over.

That's brilliant news, loved the first two series, something to look forward to!