What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

13 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Macconie has confirmed it was their idea.

Happy with Craig, it'll be interesting to see what Shawn does next, half expecting him to turn up on Virgin.

Yep I'm very curious about what his plans are. He's always made such a big deal about 6 Music being his life and not having other things to fall back on like the others. I believe the Facebook page is all getting a bit UKIP so I am staying well away from that. I don't understand why people feel entitled to have DJ's that they love on every hour of the day especially on a channel that tries to be as diverse as 6 Music. You can just change the channel for a couple of hours if you don't like someone. 

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I believe the Facebook page is all getting a bit UKIP so I am staying well away from that. I don't understand why people feel entitled to have DJ's that they love on every hour of the day especially on a channel that tries to be as diverse as 6 Music. You can just change the channel for a couple of hours if you don't like someone. 

Sad to hear the Facebook thing, on Twitter the comments were almost entirely positive. 

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

The real mystery of 6 music is how Lamo continues to cling to the drive time slot. He must have some serious blackmail. 

He seems to have a fairly dedicated following and a lot of artists do really like him. I wonder if he's a nicer guy in real life than he comes across on the radio. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Never got the dislike for Lammo myself!  He definitely plays his brand of music, but then so does pretty much every DJ on 6Music

He's not my favourite by a long shot and he is a bit more white men with guitars than most but he seems a nice guy. A lot of artists I really rate like Nadine Shah and Self Esteem like him a lot so he can't be that bad. 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

He seems to have a fairly dedicated following and a lot of artists do really like him. I wonder if he's a nicer guy in real life than he comes across on the radio. 

Met him at Reading festival one year. He was a really nice bloke, despite me drunkenly taking the piss out of his cycle shorts!

Also, he does more to promote live music venues than almost anyone else on the planet.

48 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

He's not my favourite by a long shot and he is a bit more white men with guitars than most but he seems a nice guy. A lot of artists I really rate like Nadine Shah and Self Esteem like him a lot so he can't be that bad. 

It's a popular target, but the whole "white men with guitars" as a genre is as good as any other so long as it's not to the exclusion of other genres.  Which is where 6Music does so well, I think.  Lammo is your go to for WMWG, but before that on weekdays you've got Mary Anne Hobbs and (now) Craig Charles who'll both lean towards very different sounds.

Some of my best friends are WMWG 😉

2 hours ago, Quark said:

It's a popular target, but the whole "white men with guitars" as a genre is as good as any other so long as it's not to the exclusion of other genres.  Which is where 6Music does so well, I think.  Lammo is your go to for WMWG, but before that on weekdays you've got Mary Anne Hobbs and (now) Craig Charles who'll both lean towards very different sounds.

Some of my best friends are WMWG 😉

Yes I think most peoples issue with Lammo is the fact that for him it kind of is to the exclusion of other genres. To be fair most other 6 Music DJ's do have a more rounded music taste than him but I do think he is improving and I don't have a problem with him. As I've said plenty of times to people no station or channel exist solely for you. It should be expected that you can have favourites and least favourites, that's why our equipment comes with an off button and an ability to change channels. 

59 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Prayer circle for Bob Odenkirk 🙏

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57996085

Hope he's ok!

I watched the Reclaiming Amy documentary yesterday. Interesting counterpoint to the Amy documentary. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between or maybe there is no one truth but lots of different versions of truth (philosophical eh!)

7 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Prayer circle for Bob Odenkirk 🙏

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57996085

The complete radio silence on this since the initial announcement is scaring the hell out of me. Keep expecting to refresh Twitter and see some awful news break. Sure hope he’s okay.

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The complete radio silence on this since the initial announcement is scaring the hell out of me. Keep expecting to refresh Twitter and see some awful news break. Sure hope he’s okay.

Yeah. Each time I google him the "headlines" are so long I get stressed worrying that the word "died" is going to come next. So, so hoping that he's okay.

6 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Hope he's ok!

I watched the Reclaiming Amy documentary yesterday. Interesting counterpoint to the Amy documentary. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between or maybe there is no one truth but lots of different versions of truth (philosophical eh!)

I watched it this afternoon and feel the same as you. I found it interesting that neither of the "best friends" interviewed in Asif Kapadia's Amy were the same as the three "best friends" in Reclaiming Amy. Of course I know that Amy is going to have had a lot of friends, but the three in the latter made me recall the two in the former. I'd have to rewatch Amy to recall exactly what Lauren and Juliette's take was on Mitch's role in everything, but honestly I'm not sure I ever will because it was too sad the first time.

But that footage of her winning the Grammy as announced by Tony Bennett will never get old 💖

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Yeah. Each time I google him the "headlines" are so long I get stressed worrying that the word "died" is going to come next. So, so hoping that he's okay.

I watched it this afternoon and feel the same as you. I found it interesting that neither of the "best friends" interviewed in Asif Kapadia's Amy were the same as the three "best friends" in Reclaiming Amy. Of course I know that Amy is going to have had a lot of friends, but the three in the latter made me recall the two in the former. I'd have to rewatch Amy to recall exactly what Lauren and Juliette's take was on Mitch's role in everything, but honestly I'm not sure I ever will because it was too sad the first time.

But that footage of her winning the Grammy as announced by Tony Bennett will never get old 💖

Yes I actually had all the other Amy programmes from the BBC iPlayer on this afternoon. The one about Back to Black was interesting. It's still a perfect album in my eyes. It'll never stop being a sad story regardless and I have to say I think the hounding by the media is probably a big factor as well. 

38 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Just watched Chris Packham: the walk that made me. A really beautiful and emotional hour of TV.

Totally agree.  Delightful and sad by turns,  as well as smashing stereotypes. A man, with autism, talking so eloquently and movingly about emotions. 

Please watch, he has important things to say

Not a box  set or series but last nights Chris Packham , the walk that made me was a beautiful, sad, thought provoking but  strangely relaxing programme.  His opening up about his Aspergers and lifetime struggles with his mental health was a insight into this condition. I well remember kids like that back in the early 70s in my class.  Isolated, bullied and misunderstood by staff. thankfully things have changed and Packham opening up like he did in this programme might help everyone understand this condition. 

• Upvote 1