What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

We’ve been re-watching seasons 1-3 of Fargo and then on to the new season. Fantastic viewing, couldn’t but recommend 

Not got round to season 4 yet although heard it’s not as good as the previous three, but I absolutely loved those, especially season 2. Think I might similarly give them a rewatch soon and then get round to the new’un.

14 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Watched The tomorrow War film

oh dear, oh deary deary me, oh dear.

Thought it maybe a switch off and enjoy the ride. Instead it is just plan rubbish.

The writing was on the wall with the sheer volume of marketing they threw at it. A general rule of thumb is that the more a studio tries to tell you something is really good, the less likely it is to be.

8 hours ago, Waterdeep said:

The Larry Sanders Show. It's an oldie but definitely worth hunting down. Might be hard to find - we ended up ordering the DVD box set.

One of my all time favourite shows. A truly seminal comedy and a masterclass in writing and acting. Shandling, Tambor and Torn were all incredible.

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Not got round to season 4 yet although heard it’s not as good as the previous three, but I absolutely loved those, especially season 2. Think I might similarly give them a rewatch soon and then get round to the new’un.

It's not as good, but that still makes it very good anyway. Couple of real stand out performances. Jessie Buckley in particular

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

The writing was on the wall with the sheer volume of marketing they threw at it. A general rule of thumb is that the more a studio tries to tell you something is really good, the less likely it is to be.

Plus it was an Amazon film. I've still yet to see a great (Non-Pixar) blockbuster film go straight to streaming without a cinema release even in covid times.

19 hours ago, Homer said:

As some one who vastly prefers It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Curb Your Enthusiasm to The US Office and Schitt's Creek, what would people recommend watching next?

Options seem to be: Communion, Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development and AP Bio.

Ta!

I'll add to the league - a great watch, and you don't need to understand the neuance of fantasy football.

Another one that might have been overlooked but i guess would be in the same crowd would be Weeds 

11 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Not visited this thread before.  Looking for some recommendations as I’m at a lost for new things to watch.  Are there any good and new (or still releasing new seasons) comedy programmes out there at the moment? 

Favourite shows are: Peep Show, The Detectorists, The Office and Bojack Horseman. 

Some good, relatively new comedies...What We Do In The Shadows, PEN15, Derry Girls, Big Mouth, Righteous Gemstones, Miracle Workers, Ted Lasso

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:54 PM, ChemicalBrother said:

High: Confessions of a Drug Mule - 5 parter on BBC iPlayer was a good watch. Was one of the stand out news stories of the previous decade for me, the series gave some interesting insight & was very well delivered by one of the ‘Peru 2’ 

BBC do acknowledge at the start of each episode that the story is told by a convicted drug smuggler, but it came across as a plausible version of the truth & demonstrated how easy it is for drug gangs to recruit these ‘acceptable losses’ to quote the excellent film County Lines. 

Just watched this, the words naive and gullible describe these girls. 

18 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Not visited this thread before.  Looking for some recommendations as I’m at a lost for new things to watch.  Are there any good and new (or still releasing new seasons) comedy programmes out there at the moment? 

Favourite shows are: Peep Show, The Detectorists, The Office and Bojack Horseman. 

Watch This Country bbc iplayer

Also Friday Night Dinner channel 4 catch up

Young Offenders bbc iplayer

6 hours ago, priest17 said:

I'd seen Ted Lasso getting bandied about but reading words in this thread pushed me to watch it. Man I loved it. My heart literally swole twice the size. Was fucking hard splitting it into 2 viewings, I was well on board from the off.

I like to think it has made me a better person. I doubt it has, I'm still a scumbag compared to Ted, but then aren't we all

On 7/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

This way up. Channel 4. 

18 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I would also throw in 'dumb as fuck'

Aye, that’s probably the most accurate description.  Interesting that they could have been grassed up by the drug dealers so they get caught allowing other traffickers with more valuable drugs to slip through unnoticed. 

33 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Aye, that’s probably the most accurate description.  Interesting that they could have been grassed up by the drug dealers so they get caught allowing other traffickers with more valuable drugs to slip through unnoticed. 

Although I have zero evidence to back this up, that was absolutely my take away too - as soon as these girls agreed to accept just £5k for smuggling £1.5m of cocaine, they were seen by the gang as clearly far too naive to be able to pull this off, and we’re sent off as sacrificial lambs. It would seem completely plausible that £5k would equally be an amount offered to customs officials just to arrest the 2 girls, while 4 or 5 other more competent mules on the flight were waved through. 

Nowhere else to put this, radio news. Craig Charles to take over afternoons on 6. Good news I reckon - I enjoyed his lockdown shows when he took over from Lammo. Also, Radmac now down to just four hours a week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/craig-charles-6-music-weekday-afternoon-show?fbclid=IwAR2qLdvqMRRauTyTI1c8zR2_nSxJXkvBxttyMWpbgq7dREbd_qUYoaKTZDo

48 minutes ago, Homer said:

Nowhere else to put this, radio news. Craig Charles to take over afternoons on 6. Good news I reckon - I enjoyed his lockdown shows when he took over from Lammo. Also, Radmac now down to just four hours a week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/craig-charles-6-music-weekday-afternoon-show?fbclid=IwAR2qLdvqMRRauTyTI1c8zR2_nSxJXkvBxttyMWpbgq7dREbd_qUYoaKTZDo

Good news I like Craig Charles. Assuming RadMac was their choice. Even only doing a couple of hours a week it's often just the Rad or Mac show. I'm guessing they are both busy with other stuff. 

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Good news I like Craig Charles. Assuming RadMac was their choice. Even only doing a couple of hours a week it's often just the Rad or Mac show. I'm guessing they are both busy with other stuff. 

Macconie has confirmed it was their idea.

Happy with Craig, it'll be interesting to see what Shawn does next, half expecting him to turn up on Virgin.