What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

High: Confessions of a Drug Mule - 5 parter on BBC iPlayer was a good watch. Was one of the stand out news stories of the previous decade for me, the series gave some interesting insight & was very well delivered by one of the ‘Peru 2’ 

BBC do acknowledge at the start of each episode that the story is told by a convicted drug smuggler, but it came across as a plausible version of the truth & demonstrated how easy it is for drug gangs to recruit these ‘acceptable losses’ to quote the excellent film County Lines. 

I've been binging Ted Lasso since we got beaten on Sunday. I'd heard so much about it and it's one of the few times a show lives up to all the hype. It could easily have gone horribly wrong but they get everything right. I'm delaying watching the final episode because I don't want it to be over.

This Twitter thread from someone watching it is great. There are spoilers so tread carefully if you haven't already watched it.

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've been binging Ted Lasso since we got beaten on Sunday. I'd heard so much about it and it's one of the few times a show lives up to all the hype. It could easily have gone horribly wrong but they get everything right. I'm delaying watching the final episode because I don't want it to be over.

This Twitter thread from someone watching it is great. There are spoilers so tread carefully if you haven't already watched it.

Yeah I binged it all a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t agree more. Should be terrible. Concept sounds naff as hell. But it’s actually incredibly enjoyable. Not too many laugh out loud moments, but just a really uplifting, big grin on your face watch all the way through. Hopefully something they can continue throughout and it doesn’t turn out to be a first season fluke.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I binged it all a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t agree more. Should be terrible. Concept sounds naff as hell. But it’s actually incredibly enjoyable. Not too many laugh out loud moments, but just a really uplifting, big grin on your face watch all the way through. Hopefully something they can continue throughout and it doesn’t turn out to be a first season fluke.

It's looking promising

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/ted_lasso/s02?cmp=TWRT_TV_TedLassoS2_Early

The new Rick and Morty episode was shockingly bad, it's like they focussed on the dumb gross humour without the sci-fi concepts and nihilist philosophy which I enjoy from the show. It's been a really good season so far so that episode is really standing out as poor.

6 minutes ago, jump said:

The new Rick and Morty episode was shockingly bad, it's like they focussed on the dumb gross humour without the sci-fi concepts and nihilist philosophy which I enjoy from the show. It's been a really good season so far so that episode is really standing out as poor.

I haven’t watched it yet but have been pretty amused by the complete internet-wide agreement that it’s a massive misstep and shite. Gonna stick it on later and brace myself. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I haven’t watched it yet but have been pretty amused by the complete internet-wide agreement that it’s a massive misstep and shite. Gonna stick it on later and brace myself. 

Let me know your thoughts on the episode as I want to see if it's just me and I'm actually too mature and sophisticated for the show. lol

Watched The tomorrow War film

oh dear, oh deary deary me, oh dear.

Thought it maybe a switch off and enjoy the ride. Instead it is just plan rubbish.

However I did laugh at the 3 minutes where they explained all the possible issues with jumping to the future just to let us all know.

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Watched The tomorrow War film

oh dear, oh deary deary me, oh dear.

Thought it maybe a switch off and enjoy the ride. Instead it is just plan rubbish.

However I did laugh at the 3 minutes where they explained all the possible issues with jumping to the future just to let us all know.

Yeah, they are very concerned with paradoxes until the end of the film which is just a big paradox.

Just the idea is stupid, the future is losing a war so they go back to the past to recruit untrained middled aged cannon fodder to defeat the aliens.

12 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah, they are very concerned with paradoxes until the end of the film which is just a big paradox.

Just the idea is stupid, the future is losing a war so they go back to the past to recruit untrained middled aged cannon fodder to defeat the aliens.

Yep madness

As some one who vastly prefers It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Curb Your Enthusiasm to The US Office and Schitt's Creek, what would people recommend watching next?

Options seem to be: Communion, Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development and AP Bio.

Ta!

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

As some one who vastly prefers It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and Curb Your Enthusiasm to The US Office and Schitt's Creek, what would people recommend watching next?

Options seem to be: Communion, Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development and AP Bio.

Ta!

Parks and Recs would be first choice. Keep in mind the first season is a bit rough but when it gets going it's great, it's nice to have a sitcom that was more optimistic about work/politics.

59 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ta!

By Communion did you mean Community? Anyway, I haven’t seen AP Bio so can’t comment, but all of the others are pretty great. Parks & Rec doesn’t really get going until season 2, Community (if thats what you mean) has one slightly dud season in season 4, and Arrested Development season 4 and 5 never captured the magic of the original 3, but they’re all worth watching at some point imo, and you’re on to a winner if you go with any of them first.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Ta!

AP Bio is fun, just not on the same level as those other three. Glenn Howerton basically plays a watered down, more human, network TV version of Dennis. It's still got some of that It's Always Sunny bite to it though.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Ta!

Rewatch Seinfeld! (currently on our second time around this pandemic!). It's on All 4. 

Parks and Rec was good (though I actually preferred the US Office), I ended up drifting away from Arrested Development (though there are some real high points in it), might go back to it and see if it picks up again, but midway through season 4 I gave up. Lovesick is really good (completely different to any of the above, but I have a soft spot for it as it was filmed around where I lived in Glasgow), The first couple of seasons of the Good Place were good, lost its way a bit then came back a bit and then lost its way again, but I watched it through. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Ta!

I'll throw out a recommendation for something that gets overlooked, I assume because the premise puts people off - The League.

The premise is that it follows a group of "friends" playing in a Fantasy American Football League.. But ignore that - you don't need to have any interest in American Football, and from the shows you name the style of humour is pretty similar. It's one of a very few shows that can make me properly crack up, even on second or third viewings.

Edited by incident

1 minute ago, incident said:

I'll throw out a recommendation for something that gets overlooked, I assume because the premise puts people off - The League.

The premise is that it follows a group of "friends" playing in a Fantasy American Football League.. But ignore that - you don't need to have any interest in American Football, and from the shows you name the style of humour is pretty similar. It's one of a very few shows that can make me properly crack up, even on second or third viewings.

The League is definitely in the Seinfeld/Sunny wheelhouse (and has some good cameos). If you like animated series, Big Mouth and Bojack Horseman are great - especially the latter.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Ta!

The Larry Sanders Show. It's an oldie but definitely worth hunting down. Might be hard to find - we ended up ordering the DVD box set.

7 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

The Larry Sanders Show. It's an oldie but definitely worth hunting down. Might be hard to find - we ended up ordering the DVD box set.

Yeah this is so good and it’s a shame it seems to have been largely forgotten with time (or at least not made much of an impact in the U.K. that I can tell). Binge watched it all over the first lockdown after having it on my list for a while. 

12 hours ago, jump said:

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Where are you watching these? Big fan of Rick and Morty but usually have to wait for it to be released on Netflix!