What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

Extremely late to the party here, but a couple of weeks back I got a new TV channel subscription over here and they had Line Of Duty on there. We've blasted through it all since then and I have to say I absolutely loved it. 

S3 and S5 in particular were highlights, S3 finale in particular was just the right side of ridiclous top bollocks. S5 was always going to be a winner with Stephen Graham on board. The guy is just an unbelievable actor.

Yeah, the finale was a bit of a let-down, but I'd seen the response/memes when it went out live so was mentally prepared. At least it leaves the door open for more episodes at some point.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
got my numbers wrong

On 6/9/2021 at 9:59 AM, SwedgeAntilles said:

Extremely late to the party here, but a couple of weeks back I got a new TV channel subscription over here and they had Line Of Duty on there. We've blasted through it all since then and I have to say I absolutely loved it. 

S3 and S5 in particular were highlights, S3 finale in particular was just the right side of ridiclous top bollocks. S5 was always going to be a winner with Stephen Graham on board. The guy is just an unbelievable actor.

Yeah, the finale was a bit of a let-down, but I'd seen the response/memes when it went out live so was mentally prepared. At least it leaves the door open for more episodes at some point.

Was S3 'urgent exit required'? Think it may have just strayed the wrong side of ridiculous but no worse for it. Ridiculous can be fun in that sort of show when it's all being played very serious and 'real'. 

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Was S3 'urgent exit required'? Think it may have just strayed the wrong side of ridiculous but no worse for it. Ridiculous can be fun in that sort of show when it's all being played very serious and 'real'. 

Aye, that's the one, with Kate going full John Wick. I was entertained. 

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Absolutely loved Time. Both Sean Bean and Stephen Graham were great and I generally had a few teary eyed moments in the last episode. Can’t recommend enough.

Stunning piece of work. Everything about it was great. Including the fact it was only 3 episodes. No padding, no filler, not rushed. Just right. And didn't go overboard on the violence, so when it happened it was all the more shocking for it.

Working my way through Mare of Easttown. I wasn’t sure I’d like it given just how many murder mysteries there have been but Kate Winslet is acting it out of the park so far. Good stuff. 

There’s some quality television out there right now. 

15 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Clarksons Farm is the best thing I have watched in ages. Interesting and laugh out loud funny in lots of places. 

Very enjoyable & interesting watch - they could have auditioned hundreds of actors & they still wouldn’t have found a more perfect foil for Clarkson than young Kaleb. 

• Upvote 1

I just caught up with It's a Sin.

Massively over-rated. Not terrible by any means, but I think I hate RTD's writing style (I couldn't bear Years & Years, and Dr Who is obviously rubbish).

I just found the whole thing so unsubtle and lacking in nuance, the dialogue especially. The tone was all-over the shop too - switching from ecstatic good times to morbid death, but never anything in between. The plot seemed rushed as well, with characters going from diagnosis to death so quickly, yet it still had time for irrelevant fluff like the whole Stephen Fry sub-plot. 

And I think they missed a trick too with the last song of the programme, which was "Everybody Hurts", a popular tear-jerker but not really in tune with what had gone on before. They should have used "Being Boring" and I think that miss sums it up for me.

I just wonder what someone like Jimmy McGovern or Shane Meadows might have done with similar material, as their writing is far more naturalistic.