What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

On 4/11/2021 at 12:26 AM, John the Moth said:

I stopped about 3/4 through episode 7 about 18 months ago. Should try and finish it really.

I have it on planner but only got part way through ep 5 and watched something else. Think it falls into style over substance or just trying to be clever and fancy and not hitting the mark for me. May try it again but doubt it

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

No spoiler alerts please - I was watching the golf last night, so I'll be catching up tonight! 🙂

No problem!  But surely it would be no secret that he would say mother of god, I catch bent coppers and for the love of God sometime during every episode!  It’s the law of line of duty. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

No problem!  But surely it would be no secret that he would say mother of god, I catch bent coppers and for the love of God sometime during every episode!  It’s the law of line of duty. 

Ha, yeah. Apparently there's a drinking game associated with that but I've never played otherwise I'd be smashed every Sunday and hungover for work the next day! 😄

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

"I care about one thing and one thing only: the letter of the law. The letter!"

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Last night Hastings gave a stellar ‘Mother of God’ moment at the end!

5AF8CFDF-9854-488E-A5A6-524E9DC9241E.thumb.jpeg.4843f2839c7d55488a03c653d0f9df27.jpeg

as well as starting to watch (for the first time) the quite wonderful Breaking Bad, Mrs BlueDaze has us playing catch-up on Line of Duty... This past weekend we completed Series 5.

Now, i get that this maybe as controversial as saying "i have really tried listening to Taylor Swift, but i cannot recall a single one of her dull songs.." (which is absolutely true btw) but...

Line of Duty is a load of complete and utter tosh....

The concept is sound and the plotlines fairly decent but the writing and acting (particularly of the 3 amigos) drives me spare.

I think the fact that i have not been able to warm to one single character has possibly blinkered me... but even the remarkable  talents of Stephen Graham and Anna Maxwell Martin couldnt redeem..

Im sorry people, i know that is is hugely popular but i just find it funny.. ("the wee girl..." is another of his stupid sayings btw..)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

as well as starting to watch (for the first time) the quite wonderful Breaking Bad, Mrs BlueDaze has us playing catch-up on Line of Duty... This past weekend we completed Series 5.

Now, i get that this maybe as controversial as saying "i have really tried listening to Taylor Swift, but i cannot recall a single one of her dull songs.." (which is absolutely true btw) but...

The concept is sound and the plotlines fairly decent but the writing and acting (particularly of the 3 amigos) drives me spare.

I think the fact that i have not been able to warm to one single character has possibly blinkered me... but even the remarkable  talents of Stephen Graham and Anna Maxwell Martin couldnt redeem..

Im sorry people, i know that is is hugely popular but i just find it funny.. ("the wee girl..." is another of his stupid sayings btw..)

Absolutely. I should hate it. For reasons I don't fully understand I love it. It reminds me of Luther in that way. Totally ridiculous and until it completely lost it in the last couple of series I couldn't get enough of it. I think a lot of people reached that stage with Line of Duty a couple of series ago, but I still love it and all it's stupid acronyms and wildly inappropriate and unprofessional interrogations.

39 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Yeah, some folk love it, others can’t get into it. I can see that. As for his sayings, they are very common in Ulster, I had a  colleague from Belfast who spoke exactly like that. ‘With all her shenanigans that wee girl won’t pass her Physics’ A favourite of his and he was teaching 17 year olds!

the rich diversity of U.K. dialects,!  national tv has thankfully moved on since the early days when everyone had to speak with an oxbridge accent. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

19 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Absolutely. I should hate it. For reasons I don't fully understand I love it. It reminds me of Luther in that way. Totally ridiculous and until it completely lost it in the last couple of series I couldn't get enough of it. I think a lot of people reached that stage with Line of Duty a couple of series ago, but I still love it and all it's stupid acronyms and wildly inappropriate and unprofessional interrogations.

I've been watching the re-runs of Between the Lines, which I loved when it was originally shown. God it's so lame compared to Line of Duty! Yes some of the acting is not the best & it's not the most realistic thing I've seen, but the plot lines & the way they ratchet up the tension makes you desperate to see the next episode!

Watching the 2 shows together makes you realise how far superior current tv dramas are to those of 20-30 years ago!

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Anyone watched Too Close the last few nights?

Yes, I think it’s really good. The interactions between the psychologist and her patient are well acted. I did think however that the loss of the cigarette lighter would have been noticed and reported. And should she have had her personal bag in an interview situation in a secure unit? 

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Just watched the first 2 episodes. Pretty disturbing stuff. Don't think I can face episode 3 just before bed, I need to watch something funny to take my mind off it!

Wise decision. I’ve watched it and it’s really disturbing but totally compelling. Won’t give any spoilers but the actor playing Connie gave an absolutely superb performance. 

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Wise decision. I’ve watched it and it’s really disturbing but totally compelling. Won’t give any spoilers but the actor playing Connie gave an absolutely superb performance. 

ITV messed up last night! It paused during the adverts and then skipped about 5mins in!! So we are waiting to watch the last part later - hooked by it though

Is anybody else reluctant to watch a film or TV show if it falls under a certain IMDb rating? 
For me, I tend to not watch a film that’s rated below 7.5, or a TV series below 8.0. (I do not include comedies in this as I know they are subjective and I enjoy silly humour). 

I know I’m potentially missing out on some great things by doing this, but i find it’s never really let me down with the series I’ve watched so far. 

Just that I quite fancied watching The Flight Attendant (after seeing it on Gogglebox) but it only got 7.1 on IMDb so I didn’t bother. 

Edited by st dan

9 minutes ago, st dan said:

Is anybody else reluctant to watch a film or TV show if it falls under a certain IMDb rating? 
For me, I tend to not watch a film that’s rated below 7.5, or a TV series below 8.0. (I do not include comedies in this as I know they are subjective and I enjoy silly humour). 

I know I’m potentially missing out on some great things by doing this, but i find it’s never really let me down with the series I’ve watched so far. 

Just that I quite fancied watching The Flight Attendant (after seeing it on Gogglebox) but it only got 7.1 on IMDb so I didn’t bother. 

I certainly take note but if I'm interested by the concept or its well reviewed by someone I trust I go for it regardless.

29 minutes ago, st dan said:

The Flight Attendant is perfectly fine trash viewing - give it a go!

17 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

The Flight Attendant is perfectly fine trash viewing - give it a go!

We tried it and turned it off after 15 minutes and had already seen ‘that’ scene on Gogglebox, which is what made us watch it in the first place! 

Way too cheesy and stereotypical characters. 

‘Your honor’ though, half way through and it’s superb!