What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Greenland.

Gerard Butler's Scottish accent is terrible. And he's Scottish.

That film had everything I could want in a disaster movie, and also Gerard Butler, which I would not.

The sum parts of a really good film on the subject are there, but it feels like almost anyone other than the cast they chose could have made it work.

I thought Greenland was far better than it had any right to be. It was pretty generic and still fell in to a lot of the typical disaster film cliches, but unlike most it didn’t go absolutely ridiculous with nature exploding around the characters etc so seemed a bit more grounded and character driven. 7/10.

33 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I thought Greenland was far better than it had any right to be. It was pretty generic and still fell in to a lot of the typical disaster film cliches, but unlike most it didn’t go absolutely ridiculous with nature exploding around the characters etc so seemed a bit more grounded and character driven. 7/10.

@FloorFiller @Spindles I can never understand why they feel the need to add in so many formulaic and superfluous story arcs within the movie. I guess they feel that they need to increase the peril but if they did it right, the main subject matter is surely enough to generate that?

12 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

IMHO yes. The final episode was written by Stephen King and adds a bit to the original ending. I really liked it!

Some of the characters fall a bit flat due to lack of time to really get into them (I think the book is basically a 1,200 page character essay). Harold and Lloid are stand outs as getting a good amount of development. Unfortunately, Nick Andros and Mother Abigail are quite lacking.

*SPOLIERS* Alexander Skarsgaard, as ever, is more than willing to get his butt out for the camera. Something I will never complain about. I quite liked his Flagg (better than McConaughey's anyway). It did a good job at showing his weaknesses so it didn't seem really weird when he was defeated at the end.

Lol, I only just realised there was another episode after the last one in Vegas, oops.

8 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Lol, I only just realised there was another episode after the last one in Vegas, oops.

The Vegas episode is definitely the climax, with the final episode being more of a conclusion. You could in essence not watch it and be none the wiser, but it is a really good episode! 

Dispatched S5 of Line of Duty last night. Great stuff. The finale was quite drawn out but loved the 'Urgent Exit Required' callback.

A strange show in that the guest villains have been invariably better than any of the main cast in terms of acting.

Edited by kalifire

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I've just got to the one where they start smoking crack to get on welfare. My fave is the one where they all start dating high school children and try and go to the prom though.

Excited for 'Dennis looks like a registered sex offender'.

When I first started watching that was an early favourite for me. It was surpassed by "The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore" in season 7 and I think that still holds the crown for me, but there is gold in so many episodes. 

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Dispatched S5 of Line of Duty last night. Great stuff. The finale was quite drawn out but loved the 'Urgent Exit Required' callback.

A strange show in that the guest villains have been invariably better than any of the main cast in terms of acting.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

I've just got to the one where they start smoking crack to get on welfare. My fave is the one where they all start dating high school children and try and go to the prom though.

Got a bit confused there with @Homer’s contextless follow up to a post about Line of Duty - certainly don’t remember the main characters smoking crack and dating high school children, although that sure would be an interesting twist 😋

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Got a bit confused there with @Homer’s contextless follow up to a post about Line of Duty - certainly don’t remember the main characters smoking crack and dating high school children, although that sure would be an interesting twist 😋

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. 'Shit - I must have missed an episode!'

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

I just got here from the peppa pig chat in another thread and got a bit confused there ahah.

I rewatched season 14 of Always Sunny on Sunday and forgot how good it was, a real step up from the 3 seasons or so before it. Possibly coz it was only 8 episodes but then again The Janitor Only Mops Twice is up there with the best (and easily their most successful high concept episode). You've got all this to come Homer ahah.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

I rewatched season 14 of Always Sunny on Sunday and forgot how good it was, a real step up from the 3 seasons or so before it. Possibly coz it was only 8 episodes but then again The Janitor Only Mops Twice is up there with the best (and easily their most successful high concept episode). You've got all this to come Homer ahah.

Season 14 is actually ten episodes but I think two episodes might’ve gotten the chop from streaming services after Black Lives Matter. Fairly certain any episode featuring blackface (a lot of which are the best ones - the two Lethal Weapon ones especially) or any of Dees stereotype costumes have been removed. 

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Surely 'Dennis looks like a registered sex offender'  was a giveaway - the only other TV prog that could poss refer to is an old episode of Big Break (for non-snooker fans, please allow me to reassure you that that was a really funny joke).

50 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sure is a huge assortment of shite - mediocre content that’s been added to the new Disney+ channel.

But also Con Air so money well spent. 

yeah a couple of half interesting things but lots of why tho. Like they have the original planet of the apes, would it have been that hard to get the other 5 as well? I'd love to go through those again, even if they fall apart by the 5th one. And they have the second one of the new apes trilogy, that's no use. Got Scrubs and a couple of other series I guess, I was really hoping for Logan.

47 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sure is a huge assortment of shite - mediocre content that’s been added to the new Disney+ channel.

But also Con Air so money well spent. 

Yeah, I aint't got a clue what some of the "featured" stuff is.

In theory it does sort out one of the problems I have with Disney+ which is it has been shit for having shows to binge watch as I can watch The X Files at least now. It's too bad alot of the shows added I've seen recently like Futurama, Sons of Anarchy and Alias. I would have loved King Of The Hill to be added.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

yeah a couple of half interesting things but lots of why tho. Like they have the original planet of the apes, would it have been that hard to get the other 5 as well? I'd love to go through those again, even if they fall apart by the 5th one. And they have the second one of the new apes trilogy, that's no use. Got Scrubs and a couple of other series I guess, I was really hoping for Logan.

All of the Die Hards apart from the first one is the biggest ?!? for me.

Hoping that the weird omissions are because other streaming services currently have the rights to those films and they’ll eventually be added once those contracts run out, which was the case initially for a few Marvel films that Netflix had the streaming rights to I believe.

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

All of the Die Hards apart from the first one is the biggest ?!? for me.

Hoping that the weird omissions are because other streaming services currently have the rights to those films and they’ll eventually be added once those contracts run out, which was the case initially for a few Marvel films that Netflix had the streaming rights to I believe.

Ahahah I didn't even clock that. The whole app feels a lot more cluttered now, once I've gone through the 8 good films they've added its gonna be like flicking through TV channels at 1am. As you say hopefully good comes from it but its gonna remain 4th choice behind netflix, prime and sky go for to idly flick and pick.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:13 AM, Spindles said:

That film had everything I could want in a disaster movie, and also Gerard Butler, which I would not.

The sum parts of a really good film on the subject are there, but it feels like almost anyone other than the cast they chose could have made it work.

Mark Kermode gave this a rave review. And Gerard Buttler being crap is a running joke on that show (hello to Jason Isaacs).

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Mark Kermode gave this a rave review. And Gerard Buttler being crap is a running joke on that show (hello to Jason Isaacs).

Gerard Butler is the king of crap but enjoyable films. Can’t remember the last film I saw him star in that had any semblance of being a genuinely good film. Just stupid films with stupid premises made to go straight to streaming after flopping instantly in the cinema.