What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

8 hours ago, SheffJeff said:

Yeah, I do agree though I have actively avoided things with him in in the past...should give the actor the benefit of the doubt though so will give generation kill a try tonight, 

It is great. But all David Simon shows are. Treme and the Deuce are amazing also. 

15 hours ago, John the Moth said:

I think what Star Wars fans tend to forget is that the target audience is children, not middle aged men...

*ducks for cover*

You are right, however I do find it patronising when art is dismissed as 'for children' as a means of excusing poor execution. As if children do not need good storytelling and coherent characterisation. The really great stuff for children (the early Star Wars, the best of Disney and Pixar) is aimed at kids as well, but appeals to grown-ups exactly because the storytelling is so good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

You are right, however I do find it patronising when art is dismissed as 'for children' as a means of excusing poor execution. As if children do not need good storytelling and coherent characterisation. The really great stuff for children (the early Star Wars, the best of Disney and Pixar) is aimed at kids as well, but appeals to grown-ups exactly because the storytelling is so good.

Yeah good is good but I half agree with that, there's a difference between for kids and for families. Like an adult can enjoy Soul or Toy Story too but how many adults can enjoy Moon & Me (that space clown is fucking creepy!) or In The Night Garden. Star Wars is a family thing though despite the moaning about how Star Wars should be for Star Wars fans.

48 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I’m with you on that, I just bought a pile of Judge Dredd reprints 😊

edit: just got clarity my little joke was not directed at the movies (which I thoroughly enjoy), it was at the expense of the oversensitive fans with impossible standards that can’t ever be met. 🙂

Edited by John the Moth

1 minute ago, jump said:

Yeah good is good but I half agree with that, there's a difference between for kids and for families. Like an adult can enjoy Soul or Toy Story too but how many adults can enjoy Moon & Me (that space clown is fucking creepy!) or In The Night Garden. Star Wars is a family thing though despite the moaning about how Star Wars should be for Star Wars fans.

Soul is the best movie I’ve seen in a long time.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:01 PM, gigpusher said:

I don't have that but I believe you can do a month trial. I might do it when I'm not so busy at work and I am reading less. I'd need to watch quite a few every night to get through it in a month. 

If you sign up for a free weeks trial on NOW tv and then cancel at the end of the week they will offer you either 3 or 6 months at half price 

4 minutes ago, OG said:

If you sign up for a free weeks trial on NOW tv and then cancel at the end of the week they will offer you either 3 or 6 months at half price 

I'm already paying for Netflix, Disney plus, Deezer, VIrgin Media (just not the full package) Some gaming thing my husband has. I've accepted you can't have everything. Next time we go away on holiday I might just get the months free trial and try and binge it in that. 

3 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Anyone watched "The 100 year old man who jumped out the window and disappeared" ? It has a sequel too. 

A Swedish Forrest Gump. Nice silly comedy as long as you dont mind subtitles.

Do you know where I can watch this? I've read the book and would quite like to see what they've done with the film...

The new version of The Stand is absolute pish.  I can't believe they murdered it.  

Season 5 of The Expanse was the best yet for me, but I'm a huge longtime fan of the books and easily pleased.

I'm sort of on the fence with The Watch.  Terry Pratchett's books were a huge part of my life for many years and it is hard to live up to that.  I've always felt that the best way to portray the disc is through animation.

Wandavision is great but this releasing it one a week every Friday morning is doing my head in. It probably makes sense from a business perspective that I don't understand but it doesn't seem like the kinda show that needs to be held back to one a week. Also people keep watching it Friday morning and getting key words trending on twitter and Google sending me notifications about it. 

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I honestly didn't recognise him

You need a fair knowledge of Marvel films, X-Men and the comics.

Due to a weird rights issue over the character there were two versions of Pietro/Quicksilver played by different actors. One in the MCU, one in the X-Men films. The guy who turned up was the X-Men version.

Not sure if it’s significant story-wise yet or the most meta joke in the history of television.

Edited by Hugh Jass

6 hours ago, priest17 said:

Wandavision is great but this releasing it one a week every Friday morning is doing my head in. It probably makes sense from a business perspective that I don't understand but it doesn't seem like the kinda show that needs to be held back to one a week. Also people keep watching it Friday morning and getting key words trending on twitter and Google sending me notifications about it. 

Benefit of WFH is being being able to catch it on Friday lunchtime before the spoilers get out.

7 hours ago, Spindles said:

The new version of The Stand is absolute pish.  I can't believe they murdered it.  

Season 5 of The Expanse was the best yet for me, but I'm a huge longtime fan of the books and easily pleased.

I'm sort of on the fence with The Watch.  Terry Pratchett's books were a huge part of my life for many years and it is hard to live up to that.  I've always felt that the best way to portray the disc is through animation.

Finished it last night. What a mess 😆

No idea what they were thinking about in the first 3 episodes with the time hopping, really poorly done. I will say though that it vastly improved when Greg Kinnear arrived. Vast. That being said the last two episodes felt rushed, the pacing was all over the place throughout. 

I stuck with it because of some of the individual performances (the aforementioned Kinnear as Greg, but also Harold and Larry) and ultimately I didn't hate it, but it did feel like a missed opportunity.

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

WandaVision is getting better and better.

Helps though to have a pretty thorough knowledge of the MCU and beyond...

Yep... and still so many unanswered questions! 

I quite like it being weekly, old schools TV vibes! Although dodging spoilers is a nightmare.

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You need a fair knowledge of Marvel films, X-Men and the comics.

I've seen Days of Future Past and even Apocalypse. And, even Dark Phoenix. Poor me.

(And also read the Tom King comic which is effing marvellous)

I think it was more a combination of expecting Aaron Taylor-Johnson (or, like, Captain Marvel or Sir Ian McKellen) vs him not being in anything else so he doesn't have instant face recognition vs I dunno maybe his face has filled out a wee bit and I was tired.

35 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've seen Days of Future Past and even Apocalypse. And, even Dark Phoenix. Poor me.

(And also read the Tom King comic which is effing marvellous)

I think it was more a combination of expecting Aaron Taylor-Johnson (or, like, Captain Marvel or Sir Ian McKellen) vs him not being in anything else so he doesn't have instant face recognition vs I dunno maybe his face has filled out a wee bit and I was tired.

DOFP was decent. The rest of the X-Men films have been average to god awful (with the exception of Logan, which was excellent). The Deadpool films are good too but they don’t really count.

Looks like Marvel are going down the whole Multiverse route for Phase 4 and beyond. Which is a pretty convenient way to bring the X-Men and F4 into the fold.