What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Others have mentioned it I know.

The Social Dilemma should be required viewing. A great documentary.

I only watched the first 30mins of social dilemma and thought it was very boring and predictable, does it get any better later on? 

9 hours ago, Copperface said:

I thought a spelling mistake had been made when you wrote 'Dilemma'. Then I googled the documentary and saw it was spelled that way. I've always spelled it 'dilemna'.

Turns out that word does not exists! I thought I was the only one until I saw this: https://www.dilemna.info/

It's not just me is it?

This is honestly the first I've ever heard of this phenomenon. Thanks for adding the link. Fascinating stuff The Mandela Effect.

2 hours ago, morph100 said:

I only watched the first 30mins of social dilemma and thought it was very boring and predictable, does it get any better later on? 

I was gripped from the start. I would say it gets brutal later on (esp. when referencing events in The Philippines).

I maybe biased as it's a subject I am interested in, and that I think everybody should be interested in, and if they're not, they should be made aware of the subject. I re-iterate. It should be made compulsory viewing. Particularly in schools.

OK it was arguably predictable in the overall point it was trying to make, but it was good to have said argument put in such a cohesive and structured way. Some very thoughtful and intelligent people featured.

[spoiler] We're turning against each other in an extreme way, democracy is being undermined, we're subconsciously letting A.I. algorithms manipulate us into unwitting addiction to said A.I. algorithms and it's becoming hard to tell what the truth is any more. Won't somebody think of the children? etc[/spoiler]

Edit: OK. How do you do spoilers? I've forgotten my HTML inserts. Leaving that as is though 'cause message reasons. 

Recently have rewatched all of the Red Dwarfs.  

Edited by MrZigster

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Really good series with a great cast. This second series seems to have developed all the characters. 

Some of the back stories of the ghosts have been so poignant.

There will be a third series (and possibly a Christmas special?). Think they might have filmed them all already.

Edited by Ryan1984
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Some of the back stories of the ghosts have been so poignant.

There will be a third series (and possibly a Christmas special?). Think they might have filmed them all already.

Glad it’s coming back. Last nights episode was brilliant. A great balance between comedy and pathos. The reactions to the same sex marriage were so good and the ending a wee bit tear jerking. Best comedy since the detectorists. 

18 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Well, that series finale of Ghosts was just wonderful, wasn’t it?

Binged them all on iplayer, but was channel hopping last night and it was just starting so watched it again. I just love the way it moves from laugh out loud and very silly to heart-breaking and back to very silly again without breaking stride.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:15 PM, Ryan1984 said:

Well, that series finale of Ghosts was just wonderful, wasn’t it?

I think it's telling that the "Created by" line lists six people, five of whom are cast members. A proper drama group ensemble creation then maybe? Luvvies.

Just typed the above and found out that that a lot of them were cast members from Horrible Histories. Christmas special and a third series commissioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_(2019_TV_series)

This bit:

"The programme is filmed at West Horsley Place in Surrey, England, a large country house unexpectedly inherited by the writer and former University Challenge presenter Bamber Gascoigne in 2014 from his great aunt, the Duchess of Roxburgheunder circumstances not dissimilar to those depicted in the series."

:)

Just now, The Dawg said:

Not sure if it has mentioned, the Netflix series: The Queen's Gambit is excellent.

It is about a brilliant young girl that gets in to chess. Very well acted and some of filming is brilliant.

Heard really good things. Anya Taylor-Joy is a star.

Just finished the second series of The Alienist with Daniel Bruhl, Luke Evans and Dakota Fanning.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Tonight’s Taskmaster had me in tears of laughter.

Oh I can't wait to get to the current series. We only started watching Taskmaster in the past two weeks and have been picking the series kind of just based on the comedians we like the most - so have gone 5, 2, 4, 7 😂 I love Daisy May Cooper so I kind of want to jump to the current series next but then part of me thinks I should save it for as long as possible.

I'm likely to give it another try.  I quite enjoyed the first season but then couldn't get enthused with the next and left it.  A lot of people whose opinion I respect have said good things about it since and with the new season out it feels like it's time to give it another crack.

7 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I am torn on Schitt's Creek.  There are some likeable characters but a lot of the comedy just falls a bit flat for me.  I am struggling to find the enthusiasm to watch more about halfway through the second series.

I'm genuinely surprised that everyone I've recommended it to, through this whole year (we started bingeing it when hungover on New Years Day, and were hooked a few days later) has thoroughly enjoyed it. I never assumed it would be everyone's cup of tea, because it's not absolutely hysterical... but it is nice. It's comforting. I think everyone's just needed some of that this year.

I will say that it was the last episode of season 2 that made me think "well, I just love this tv show." and the comedy in the characters does build through the series. There is lovely character development and yeah.. I just loved it. 

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I am torn on Schitt's Creek.  There are some likeable characters but a lot of the comedy just falls a bit flat for me.  I am struggling to find the enthusiasm to watch more about halfway through the second series.

I do know what you mean, I am up to a similar point as you and I almost gave up after the first few episodes but decided to stick with it, and have started to enjoy it now, more so the characters than the actual laughs as you say.  
Having watched The Office, Parks and Recreation, Community etc - I can’t see it hitting those heights, but I think it should be an enjoyable enough series, that is relatively highly regarded.  

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Oh I can't wait to get to the current series. We only started watching Taskmaster in the past two weeks and have been picking the series kind of just based on the comedians we like the most - so have gone 5, 2, 4, 7 😂 I love Daisy May Cooper so I kind of want to jump to the current series next but then part of me thinks I should save it for as long as possible.

Me and my wife hadn't watched TM at all until last Friday and have now finished 2 seasons haha. So hooked!