What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

Finished The Haunting of Bly Manor the other night. I've seen it getting a lot of heat online for being boring/not scary but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Overall I preferred Hill House (same show runners and, strangely, a similar cast playing completely different roles), mainly due to Bly having a weak finale and (as much as it not being a priority for me in these shows) Hill House having more genuine jump scares, but Bly was an entertaining 9 episode mini series. I've seen it commented that it's more of a love story than ghost story, and that's probably true, but don't let that put you off.

18 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Finished The Haunting of Bly Manor the other night. I've seen it getting a lot of heat online for being boring/not scary but I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Overall I preferred Hill House (same show runners and, strangely, a similar cast playing completely different roles), mainly due to Bly having a weak finale and (as much as it not being a priority for me in these shows) Hill House having more genuine jump scares, but Bly was an entertaining 9 episode mini series. I've seen it commented that it's more of a love story than ghost story, and that's probably true, but don't let that put you off.

Loved Haunting of Hill House so looking forward to getting started into this. Just need to finish Mr Robot first and then it is next on my list.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I've watched most of the series, and the absolute best for me was series 9. The combo of Baddiel and Brand as the old curmudgeons and Ed Gamble just being Ed Gamble had me belly laughing more than anything in recent times.

Special mentions to Noel Fielding disguised as a banana, and Katherine Ryan's interpretation of making a mess and then clearing it up.

Also, the very intelligent Baddiel just being really thick was fun. 

Not sure I could name a favourite series. They all have something to recommend. The 6th was maybe the weakest, but then it also had the brilliantly odd  Liza Tarbuck. That's been one of the joys for me. When someone you either didn't realise, or hadn't really paid much attention to before, turns out to be really quite strange. Sally Phillips and Joe Thomas were two others. I think Katherine Parkinson could be this series quiet oddball 

On 10/12/2020 at 11:22 AM, philipsteak said:

Has anyone watched the new Spitting Image? I've only seen a few clips, but fucking hell it's bad. Really bad. Not just that some of the targets seem a bit off, it's just not funny. At all. Unless for some reason they've released the worst sketches to try and tempt us to subscribe. Which would be a brave direction to go in

It is but a pale refection of the original isnt it, though the puppets are improved. I blame it on being made to appeal to US audiences and all the US writers being drafted in who dont get irony and struggle with satire... The original project to bring it back was for it to be a US specific programme.

32 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

This. Mr. "I got a Double First from Cambridge", but am not able to follow instructions. Hilarious. Especially the "drawing on someones back" round.

Phoning his brother to ask where his hip is! Excited for the new series tonight.

Enjoyed Bly Manor (didn’t quite reach the heights of Hill House but then again what could?). Also liking Lovecraft Country, Ghosts and the Jurassic Park cartoon on Netflix.

My wife has developed an obsession with Armie Hammer so working our way through his back catalogue.

Lovecraft Country is really frustrating. When it's good its absolutely brilliant, but there have been a couple of real duds. The second episode was awful, after such a strong start, and made me unsure as to whether I should carry on. Glad I did because the third episode was probably my favourite. The Indiana Jones one was a bit shit too. Since that one it's been better, especially the one set in Korea

Ghosts is excellent. The balance between utter silliness with sweetness and real poignancy is great. Especially in the last episode of series 2

13 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Lovecraft Country is really frustrating. When it's good its absolutely brilliant, but there have been a couple of real duds. The second episode was awful, after such a strong start, and made me unsure as to whether I should carry on. Glad I did because the third episode was probably my favourite. The Indiana Jones one was a bit shit too. Since that one it's been better, especially the one set in Korea

Ghosts is excellent. The balance between utter silliness with sweetness and real poignancy is great. Especially in the last episode of series 2

I haven’t seen the last episode of Ghosts yet but the one with the Captain and his lost love was heartbreaking. Also, I’ve fallen big time for Charlotte Richie.

14 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I agree that it doesnt all work, but there's so much to enjoy.  Dee, Hippolyta and - especially- Ruby's episodes all came out of nowhere.  The Korean one was also great. 

On 10/14/2020 at 4:04 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Did anyone watch the Ivor Cutler documentary on sky arts last night? Terrific stuff!

I know many of you (especially younger ones) won't know who he was, but I'd recommend it even if you don't.

I only saw him live once but it's up there in my top ten gigs of all time. I wonder if he ever played Glastonbury?

I'll try and catch that I still can't hear the word canada without laughing thinking of him saying it 

Boyfriend and I have started rewatching Malcolm in the Middle.

I knew it was good when I was growing up watching it from ages 9-15 but it just holds up so well. 

It's not just nostalgia enjoying it either, over half my life later. I always loved Bryan Cranston in it but am enjoying his majestic physical comedy all over again.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:09 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Continuing to be pleasantly surprised on a weekly basis by just how bugfuck nuts Lovecraft Country continues to be.

Though they must be a bit annoyed that Watchmen was first out of the gates on a number of similar subjects.

This show is bonkers. Cannot decide if great or terrible ha. Also seems quite a odd premise for a show full stop. Feels like there was prob enough for a straight drama about the racist society etc then then the guy from lost came along and said get some monsters in it. Uh ok, which ones?... ALL the monsters!!

2 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Boyfriend and I have started rewatching Malcolm in the Middle.

I knew it was good when I was growing up watching it from ages 9-15 but it just holds up so well. 

It's not just nostalgia enjoying it either, over half my life later. I always loved Bryan Cranston in it but am enjoying his majestic physical comedy all over again.

I used to love Malcolm in the middle I would have been around the same age when it was on. Whenever I hear funky town by Lipps Inc it reminds me of the episode with Bryan Cranston skating! Is it on a streaming platform? Could definitely binge it

13 minutes ago, Baggins7 said:

I used to love Malcolm in the middle I would have been around the same age when it was on. Whenever I hear funky town by Lipps Inc it reminds me of the episode with Bryan Cranston skating! Is it on a streaming platform? Could definitely binge it

Yeah, it's on All4! We actually looked for it on Netflix/Prime/Sky a few months ago and were disappointed it wasn't on any of them. Turns out it was available free the whole time!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Yeah, it's on All4! We actually looked for it on Netflix/Prime/Sky a few months ago and were disappointed it wasn't on any of them. Turns out it was available free the whole time!

Www.justwatch.com seems pretty good for finding what streaming sites (if any) series are on.

37 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

It only got put on All4 a month or two back so don’t worry - you weren’t searching in vain.

But agree on it holding up. I’ve been a huge fan since the days it first aired and can still rewatch it over and over and find new things to laugh at. Such a good show.

On 10/15/2020 at 6:38 PM, philipsteak said:

I feel the same, Lovercraft is fucking brilliant when it’s brilliant but it suffers from inconsistency. I never felt like I wanted to stop watching it though as what it does well isn’t in other horror shows. Like The Haunting Of Hill House or Walking Dead are fairly copy and paste from a bunch of other shows but I can’t think of many shows that are good Lovecraftian let alone it’s mix it with White America.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

Others have mentioned it I know.

The Social Dilemma should be required viewing. A great documentary.

I thought a spelling mistake had been made when you wrote 'Dilemma'. Then I googled the documentary and saw it was spelled that way. I've always spelled it 'dilemna'.

Turns out that word does not exists! I thought I was the only one until I saw this: https://www.dilemna.info/

It's not just me is it?

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

The Social Dilemma should be required viewing. A great documentary.

Absolutely. Saw that the other night and have gone on to recommend it myself.

I've just finished both Ratched and Bly Manor. Both very good, Bly more so.

I'm now watching 'To The Lake' which is a Russian Netflix show, about a pandemic. Think The Walking Dead without zombies. It's quite the thrill ride so far.

6 hours ago, Copperface said:

I thought a spelling mistake had been made when you wrote 'Dilemma'. Then I googled the documentary and saw it was spelled that way. I've always spelled it 'dilemna'.

Turns out that word does not exists! I thought I was the only one until I saw this: https://www.dilemna.info/

It's not just me is it?

Very weird to read your post.  I'd say my spelling was very good, but that's one of the few mistakes I'm always desperate to make.  Even though I found out the correct way of spelling it decades ago, I still have this persistent voice telling me to spell it 'dilemna.'  One for the criminal psychologists to figure out...