What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I have like the biggest crush on Elizabeth in this tbh. I would totally betray my country and defect to the USSR for her 🥰. до свида́ния  Британия! 👋

Re@ the Americans, I was deployed out to Southern Ukraine a couple of times last year and near where I was staying, in Vinnitsa Oblast, there is a town built by the former KGB and GRU modelled an American Mid West town, complete with bars, 'gas stations', cinemas, nightclubs, supermarkets, malls, baseball ground and so on that was used for many years to train and familiarise sleepers with US culture etc. It is still there, albeit unused, and slowly falling into disrepair. I asked to visit it but was refused, indeed the official line is that does not exist at all, but all the locals know it is there but are a bit hesitant to talk about it.

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Anyone watched brave new world?  Watched the first episode, not totally impressed but will just have to persevere to see if it gets better😉

Yes just watched all 9 episodes ( but sure why only 9 usually it’s 8 or 10!) . It’s a bit weird- I never read the book ( at least I don’t think I have) so I assume it’s a modernised version. It was a bit confusing and  the ending was a bit meh. It swings from sex orgies to violence and pill popping computery social connections. Not so Brave or New really. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sedra said:

Yes just watched all 9 episodes ( but sure why only 9 usually it’s 8 or 10!) . It’s a bit weird- I never read the book ( at least I don’t think I have) so I assume it’s a modernised version. It was a bit confusing and  the ending was a bit meh. It swings from sex orgies to violence and pill popping computery social connections. Not so Brave or New really. 

That’s the feeling I got watching episode one. I read the book but that was as a teenage boy and don’t remember as many orgies, and I can confirm as a teenager I would have remembered that! It’s possible I just gave up reading it  and picked up the melody maker instead!   

I wasn't even aware there was an adaptation.  The book is one of the least enjoyable books I've ever read with every character apart from the 'savage' being absolutely detestable. It's a fantastic book and everyone should read it because it's an interesting take on dystopia, but it is not what I'd call entertaining.  

I shall have to watch that. 

1 minute ago, funkychick2007 said:

Baby Eliza will have you watching Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol!!! No time for other stuff!!! 🤣😃

Pepper pig will NEVER be on my box.. BUT paw patrol and Mr tumbles are top of the range.. Because she can't talk she's learning sign which is great... Oo and the twirly woos with chickatychic and peekaboo lol

Has anyone watched the new Spitting Image? I've only seen a few clips, but fucking hell it's bad. Really bad. Not just that some of the targets seem a bit off, it's just not funny. At all. Unless for some reason they've released the worst sketches to try and tempt us to subscribe. Which would be a brave direction to go in

Just now, priest17 said:

I watched the film about CBGB last night and I don't know how they messed it up so bad considering the stellar source material, has anyone got any recommendations of documentaries about it? 

Not specifically CBGB but there was a really good four part punk documentary co-produced  by Iggy that was really good. Obviously covered CBGB quite a bit

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9419282/

Did anyone watch the Ivor Cutler documentary on sky arts last night? Terrific stuff!

I know many of you (especially younger ones) won't know who he was, but I'd recommend it even if you don't.

I only saw him live once but it's up there in my top ten gigs of all time. I wonder if he ever played Glastonbury?

Criminal (UK) on Netflix is really good. It’s different in that it’s all set in or around a police interview room. As viewers, we’re thrown in, and it sometimes takes a little while to work out what the crime has been, but it can be gripping stuff. The same format has been done in other countries (France, Spain etc), also on Netflix and also good viewing, but could have done without the dubbing.

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Taskmaster is back tonight. Been looking forward to this so much since it was announced. I've been in physical pain from laughing at this show before now. The line up looks like it could be good. The absolute mayhem that Johnny Vegas could bring on his own would be worth it

I've watched most of the series, and the absolute best for me was series 9. The combo of Baddiel and Brand as the old curmudgeons and Ed Gamble just being Ed Gamble had me belly laughing more than anything in recent times.

Special mentions to Noel Fielding disguised as a banana, and Katherine Ryan's interpretation of making a mess and then clearing it up.

Edited by Quark