What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

I've been binging Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D which is never really bothered with before but, 5 seasons in, deftly combines everything I love about the MCU, Doctor Who and the Fast and the Furious saga.

Please note I will happily defend any of the above so bring it on.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Halfway through Top Boy on Netflix, enjoying it. Can really see the influence The Wire has on it.

There’s two series ones and one series two, watch out for that...very easy to watch in the wrong order. Good show though 

14 hours ago, cdm22 said:

Dark is excellent. I could have easily watched more seasons of that :) Currently watching Umbrella Academy season 2 and also Atypical on Netflix. 

Everyone keeps recommending Dark to me. People who know what I like, people who like the same as me. But I'm just not feeling it at all. Nearly gave up after the first episode, now I'm struggling through the second. A bunch of characters I don't care about, some ropy acting,  dialogue that no human being has ever uttered, a shit ton of exposition clumsily dropped and LOUD, MOODY MUSIC every time someone so much as looks at a shadow. What am I missing?

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Everyone keeps recommending Dark to me. People who know what I like, people who like the same as me. But I'm just not feeling it at all. Nearly gave up after the first episode, now I'm struggling through the second. A bunch of characters I don't care about, some ropy acting,  dialogue that no human being has ever uttered, a shit ton of exposition clumsily dropped and LOUD, MOODY MUSIC every time someone so much as looks at a shadow. What am I missing?

I’d give it a couple more episodes as things start to unravel. Could the dialogue maybe be lost in translation? Watch with subtitles over dubbing!

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’d give it a couple more episodes as things start to unravel. Could the dialogue maybe be lost in translation? Watch with subtitles over dubbing!

Tried both. Subtitle are better, but only a little. (I can't watch dubbed stuff, just too distracting). The dialogue is the bit I can give a bit of a pass too for that reason, but even if it is a poor translation, still doesn't change the fact I'm hearing some dodgy dialogue

I'm 2 episodes into the 2004 BBC show Bodies on amazon. The Line of Duty guy's other hospital drama after Cardiac Arrest (which I loved and probably shouldn't've watched when it aired when I was 10 - but you couldn't tear me away from the screen when Helen Baxendale was on it). It's nowhere near as stupid as Line of Duty, but it does have the same tension and is just as addictive. 

It's set exclusively on a maternity ward and focuses on the absolute worst things that can happen to pregnant women, all of which are derived from the creator's real world job as a hospital doctor. It's incredibly grim.

Would not recommend it to fans of One Born Every Minute

Zone Blanche (Black Spot is the English language title) is a decent French mix of cop procedural with a hint of the supernatural. Not finished it yet, but thoroughly enjoying it.

Bloodline (not new) - a moody family saga based in the Florida Keys - (Sam Shepard, Sissy Spacek, Linda Cardellini, Kyle Chandler and a terrific Ben Mendelsohn) is well worth a watch. Last season (3) let it down a bit - the writers failed the actors a bit, but the acting is great nonetheless.

Edited by Woffy

I found both new series of Das Boot pretty good. It expands on the film so there's more than bare men in a submarine and while a few of the plot points over both are a bit meh, overall it's a pretty good show. 

We recently started watching the sopranos again, having abandoned it last year midway through series two. Currently midway through series three. It's good and all, but the best show ever? Not for me at this stage. There hasn't been a single episode so far that has left a scratch on The Wire. I'm also annoyed by the villain of the series approach that it seems to be taking so far. I'm hoping it gets better. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Coming to the end of the second series of The Umbrella Academy, which has been enjoyable.

Loved this, I really liked the first series but it was a bit of a slog at points, felt like this one did away with a lot of it and pushed the fun a bit further. Has its issues but I was happy to look past all of them.

24 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Coming to the end of the second series of The Umbrella Academy, which has been enjoyable.

Going for Lovecraft Country next. Also interested in that one with Michael Sheen and Jesus from The Walking Dead - Prodigal Son.

The second series of Miracle Workers was also good fun.

7 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Loved this, I really liked the first series but it was a bit of a slog at points, felt like this one did away with a lot of it and pushed the fun a bit further. Has its issues but I was happy to look past all of them.

I liked Umbrella Academy, but it is nowhere near as odd as the comic it based on! Took on its own identity but it is good. 

I have finally started The Boys on Prime ahead of the second series in September. 

Quite fancy that Lovecraft Country to @Ryan1984 but I am going to let some episodes build up first.