What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

45 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Im trying to watch 'The Wire' as I know it's supposed to be quite good. Im pretty far into the first season and man am I finding it boring. Idris Elba is also barely in it. 

Does it get better or do I move on? 

I loved season one and gave up halfway through season 2. No idea if this helps ahah. It changes pretty heavily though which pit me off, take that as you will.

I gave up with The Wire pretty soon into it. Where was a bit where they talked about cut drugs selling for more that felt really clumsy and made me feel like I was listening to a preachy version of White Lines. I know it's supposed to be the best thing ever, ever, ever - but meh.

I reckon The Sopranos will still stand up, even though it's about ten years since I watched it.

2 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Im trying to watch 'The Wire' as I know it's supposed to be quite good. Im pretty far into the first season and man am I finding it boring. Idris Elba is also barely in it. 

It's dated quite badly - the main police character (McNulty) is a toe-curlingly embarrassing attempt at a deep and meaningful, bad-boy detective.  Some of the plot development is a bit tedious, however, it's definitely worth persevering with as the stories start to reel you in - particularly when you get to know and appreciate the good characters.  The 'bad guys' are worth watching the show for on their own.  In particular Stringer (Idris does become a lot more involved as the seasons go on), Omar (who injects a bit of Shakespearean flair to the whole 'game'), Chris Partlow/Snoop and Marlon.  If you're losing interest, just watch a few YouTube clips with any of those characters and it should persuade you to keep going.

As the seasons go on, the intrigue builds up to near Breaking Bad levels.  However... the finale is absolute rubbish.  I'm not sure if this is an urban myth, but I'd heard that the reason for this is that it coincided with a Hollywood writers strike.  Still worth watching though.

19 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I've never enjoyed a series as much as The Wire, stick with it. It didn't really click for me until about 2/3 through series 1, and then series 2 is probably my least favourite. But 3 and 4 are incredible, and 5, though flawed, still very good.

Though I can imagine it has dated, as @Mark E. Spliff says.

Got a month of Britbox for free and rewatched Our Friends In The North for the first time since 1997.  Holds up pretty well I'd say, although the concluding couple of episodes are a bit less well constructed than what comes beforehand.  Worth watching for James Bond as a tramp and Dr Who as a young Jeremy Corbyn.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Got a month of Britbox for free and rewatched Our Friends In The North for the first time since 1997.  Holds up pretty well I'd say, although the concluding couple of episodes are a bit less well constructed than what comes beforehand.  Worth watching for James Bond as a tramp and Dr Who as a young Jeremy Corbyn.

I always just assumed you'd been watching Cats on repeat

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I signed up to cram as much old doctor who in as I could then split. They won't stop emailing me asking to come back, it's a bit pathetic really. Reminds me of my ex. She never did come back.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:37 PM, MetaKate said:

Everything is either for you or not I absolutely loved the wire probably the first series I ever binge watched but if it doesn't grab you leave it .

I do agree with others on here Idris Elba stringer bell gets to become a more influential character and Omar is just legendary. 

It's like other series that are championed breaking bad and the Sopranos some series and episodes are better than others .

Enjoy if you do stick with it 

Can't believe I've watched over 50 episodes of House MD so far during this.

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you thought Gangs of London was far fetched then check out White Lines 

GoL was far fetched but I got through it. Is White Lines worth the hours?

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you thought Gangs of London was far fetched then check out White Lines 

Finished Gangs today, enjoyed it upto the halfway point then it just got worse. Sky really need to pack in doing original content, they’re terrible despite the amount of talent they have on their own productions. 

Edited by HeyPorter

1 minute ago, HeyPorter said:

You still watching this? Loved the first season, have kinda stop two thirds into the second season. 

Similar. I'm two episodes into Series Two and kinda stopped for a few more House MDs and a couple of Brassics and Brooklyn 99s.

Haven't given up on it yet.

53 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Similar. I'm two episodes into Series Two and kinda stopped for a few more House MDs and a couple of Brassics and Brooklyn 99s.

Haven't given up on it yet.

It wraps up after three seasons so will finish it, just a shame that it dipped so quickly. Was blown away by it at first. It just seems a slog after though. 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m only on epsiode four but I like it. It’s based in Ibiza and has a decent soundtrack so that probably helps.

Are we watching the same show?

I went in to it expecting an epic soundtrack as it is partly based in on a period of time where I actually worked in Ibiza as well as the early Manchester rave scene. 

There is a severe lack of tunes considering the era and location. 

Other than a few external shots the vast majority of it isn’t even filmed in Ibiza. It’s mainly filmed in Mallorca and the Manchester scenes are actually filmed in Bolton. 

The writing is all over the place and the acting by the main actress has to be some of the worst I’ve ever seen. In the first episode I didn’t know if she was supposed be Irish, a brummie or a manc. 

There has been some improvement in the later episodes but the plot is very far fetched and considering that it’s a Spanish production I’m very surprised they are making out the Spanish police to be bungling idiots. 

I don’t want to go into specifics of how much they are getting so badly wrong as I don’t want to give away spoilers but apparently a big time coke dealer in ibiza who is selling by the kilo is actually struggling to pay a mortgage.  

They should have really made it a comedy. I have 2 or 3 episodes left and I’m only sticking it out as I want to know what happened to the kid the story is about. 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Are we watching the same show?

I went in to it expecting an epic soundtrack as it is partly based in on a period of time where I actually worked in Ibiza as well as the early Manchester rave scene. 

There is a severe lack of tunes considering the era and location. 

Other than a few external shots the vast majority of it isn’t even filmed in Ibiza. It’s mainly filmed in Mallorca and the Manchester scenes are actually filmed in Bolton. 

The writing is all over the place and the acting by the main actress has to be some of the worst I’ve ever seen. In the first episode I didn’t know if she was supposed be Irish, a brummie or a manc. 

There has been some improvement in the later episodes but the plot is very far fetched and considering that it’s a Spanish production I’m very surprised they are making out the Spanish police to be bungling idiots. 

I don’t want to go into specifics of how much they are getting so badly wrong as I don’t want to give away spoilers but apparently a big time coke dealer in ibiza who is selling by the kilo is actually struggling to pay a mortgage.  

They should have really made it a comedy. I have 2 or 3 episodes left and I’m only sticking it out as I want to know what happened to the kid the story is about. 

All I can say is I’ve mostly been very pissed when I’ve watched it

On 5/20/2020 at 8:37 PM, MetaKate said:

It is my favourite TV show ever. 

5 hours ago, Bennykill said:

Just finished The Morning Show. Really enjoyed it, very Sorkin-esque. 

Yep, loved that show. There's a scene fairly early on between Steve Carrell and Martin Short which is exceptionally well scripted, as a discussion of #MeToo. A pretty ballsy show for Apple.

• Upvote 1