What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, Bennykill said:

I am finally getting round to watching Star Trek Discovery. 10 episodes in and I am struggling with it. 

I’ve always wanted to watch the space show made by (opens new tab to google it) Seth Macfarlane. It’s called The Orville. I have no idea if it’s any good or where I can watch it.

1 hour ago, Bennykill said:

They haven’t made a good Star Wars film since Jedi (and that has its flaws). Solo was the closest they got as it at least has a coherent story. Mandolorian and Clone Wars were good TV shows but the films are just a mess of story telling. 

I am finally getting round to watching Star Trek Discovery. 10 episodes in and I am struggling with it. 

I'm struggling with Clone Wars to be honest. It just doesn't seem to be moving forward at all, which is completely fine for a kids Saturday morning TV show and in that regard they've done an amazing job, but its making it hard to binge and the interesting arcs don't pop up enough to put up with the standard battles that just seem to repeat. Why do they even bother deploying those droids? Who designed them? They keep building these awful robots!

It doesn't help that its bookended by 2 awful films. Its actually frustrating seeing a semi-likable Anakin which we never got in the films.

Force Awakens is a likable love letter to A New Hope, I got a genuine thrill out of watching an enjoyable star wars film in the cinema as well, I'll always like it for that. Rogue One gets far too much credit which I can only assume is because the ending makes everyone forget the first 2 thirds. Last Jedi was a great film I enjoyed but completely mismatched by whats around it, which I don't really blame Rian for but he could have maybe red the room a little better with what came before to give the third film a chance. Solo was a good film and people would love it more if it had nothing to do with star wars.

I love talking about star wars and talking through people's different opinions but as soon as someone turns it into a hostile argument I'm out these days, lost too much time to it over the last 3 years ahah.

This is a great take on the Phantom Menace, the film I reckon is the worst one. Pity no one making the film got this memo

4 hours ago, Bisque said:

I’ve always wanted to watch the space show made by (opens new tab to google it) Seth Macfarlane. It’s called The Orville. I have no idea if it’s any good or where I can watch it.

I really enjoyed The Orville. Once it calmed the comedy down it was better Star Trek than Discovery. 

3 hours ago, priest17 said:

I'm struggling with Clone Wars to be honest. It just doesn't seem to be moving forward at all, which is completely fine for a kids Saturday morning TV show and in that regard they've done an amazing job, but its making it hard to binge and the interesting arcs don't pop up enough to put up with the standard battles that just seem to repeat. Why do they even bother deploying those droids? Who designed them? They keep building these awful robots!

It doesn't help that its bookended by 2 awful films. Its actually frustrating seeing a semi-likable Anakin which we never got in the films.

Force Awakens is a likable love letter to A New Hope, I got a genuine thrill out of watching an enjoyable star wars film in the cinema as well, I'll always like it for that. Rogue One gets far too much credit which I can only assume is because the ending makes everyone forget the first 2 thirds. Last Jedi was a great film I enjoyed but completely mismatched by whats around it, which I don't really blame Rian for but he could have maybe red the room a little better with what came before to give the third film a chance. Solo was a good film and people would love it more if it had nothing to do with star wars.

I love talking about star wars and talking through people's different opinions but as soon as someone turns it into a hostile argument I'm out these days, lost too much time to it over the last 3 years ahah.

This is a great take on the Phantom Menace, the film I reckon is the worst one. Pity no one making the film got this memo

The clone wars films are awful. 

mr Plinkets reviews of the Star Wars films are well worth a watch if you haven’t seen them. Funny and really well informed. 

11 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

I really enjoyed The Orville. Once it calmed the comedy down it was better Star Trek than Discovery. 

I really enjoyed Discovery,  come at me ;)

The first series it felt like it was going to be trash but improved towards the end, the second series is solid gold.  I hope they do as good a job with series 3.

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

The first series it felt like it was going to be trash but improved towards the end, the second series is solid gold.  I hope they do as good a job with series 3.

I agree- for some reason, even though it's not the best written thing, I enjoy it a lot (probably a lot more than it deserves at times!)- looked forward to every episode!

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

I am just getting to the end of the first series and it is my second worst Star Trek series (Voyager being my least favourite) liked the couple of stand alone episodes but it doesn’t really fit in the Star Trek universe very well, and I really hate what they have done with the Klingons. Will hold judgement till the second series though as quite a few people tell me it gets better. 

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

I presume you are talking about The Orville here still. Just seen reviews of the first season & they are not great but the second seems a complete turn around. I need something comedic & short episodes to watch so I’ll have to hunt it down somewhere.

I can’t watch Star Trek anymore, even if I watch a few minutes of a repeat of Next Generation or Deep Space Nine I can remember what happens in the episode too easily to watch again. The hologram thing was just an excuse to make a dodgy cowboy episode.

edit: I meant holodeck, apologies.

Edited by Bisque

On 4/15/2020 at 11:23 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Saw this today, I am not a number, I am a sheep

AD9CE838-D9CD-45B7-BBE4-AB88A676E454.thumb.jpeg.19b139fd902ba12b7b190c764bc3af94.jpeg

Surely, "I am not a number. I am a free lamb"?

You mentioned Gangs of London. Have you seen the The Raid films? Same fight choreographer and some "how the f**k did they film that" cinematography.

During this furlough have also binged:

Upload. I enjoyed The Good Place. The new The Good Place.

Devs.

Breeders.

After Life 2.

Also thought it was maybe time to catch up on some lauded classics that I managed to miss, so downloaded some Mad Men. House M.D. and something called Zero Zero Zero.

ZZZ was way too quiet and also lots of foreign. The subtitles on the version I had were cut off at the bottom of the screen, so that got binned unfortunately.

I got one episode into MM but then started on House. About three episodes into Series 2 atm. It's predictably formulaic I know but it's somehow weirdly comforting. Strange really, as I can't stand the likes of Casualty and Holby City or any real life medical things (I squirm at operation footage).

So where the f**k were you lot in the age old, "What Are You Watching On TV", thread in the Discussion forum then? It's been dying a death for so long I thought people had stopped watching TV or something.

I've been watching a lot of YouTube, particularly Ryan George who does a series of Pitch Meetings for Screen Rant. I keep wanting to meet someone else who has seen them, because they're packed eith catchphrases. This was the one that got me into them:

And he also does other sketches on his own channel:

Give them a go, it's super easy, barely an inconvenience.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bisque said:

I was addicted to youtube channels in the first couple of weeks, I mean properly addicted to shite content.

I can’t recommend any channel to follow other than Ashens.

I'd check the guy above out. He's very good at pointing out how stupid movies can be. The better you know them, the better.

He's also responsible for this tweet that you may have seen:

6 hours ago, Bisque said:

I presume you are talking about The Orville here still.

Actually no, Disco (as the cool kids are calling it).  The first series was ludicrous and the characters seemed like caricatures drawn by someone who'd been told that diversity was important but didn't understand why.  As it got towards the end of the first series and tone took a turn for the dark and the more stable, interesting characters came more to the fore (as we were done with the 'introducing the cast' chunk of the season that always weighs down a multi-season series) it vastly improved.

Season 2 hit the ground running with amping up the darker tone, focusing on the most interesting characters and relationships and most of all the action.  

I watched the Orville and remember almost nothing about it, it had almost no impact and if I'm honest I can't even remember who was in it.

13 hours ago, Bisque said:

I was addicted to youtube channels in the first couple of weeks, I mean properly addicted to shite content.

I can’t recommend any channel to follow other than Ashens.

I don't know if I'm just missing male company but I can't stop watching these Australian lads dropping various objects from a tower. They've got loads of them. They wrote the mega trampoline off with a light aircraft.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

I don't know if I'm just missing male company but I can't stop watching these Australian lads dropping various objects from a tower. They've got loads of them. They wrote the mega trampoline off with a light aircraft.

I’ve seen a few of these. Wrecking ball vs. seesaw springs to mind!

Jay Foreman has some interesting videos, I’m a Geographer so find them interesting.

• Like 1