What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

14 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Gangs of London is amazing! Binged the whole thing yesterday 

It was compelling and gory. Some unique ways of killing people!  After it I watched  the detectorists as an antidote to the violence! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

We've started New Girl from the beginning aswe've only seen it from part way through series 4. It's stupid and funny which is just what I need right now.

Might rewatch Detectorists when we're done. 

You might like this...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/mar/26/new-girl-screwball-comedy-gets-funnier-and-smarter-and-is-best-when-binged

2 hours ago, 1986 said:

I recently watched The Ramones documentary End Of The Century, recommend that one. Even if you don't like the band its quite a story.

Enjoy listening to The Ramones and have them on my list to eventually go through their discography. Where did you watch the documentary?

3 hours ago, northernringo said:

Any good music documentaries?

I watched Devil at the Crossroads on Netflix over the weekend and thought it was great. Have started Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dyaln Story now too.

I watched Hype! the other day on amazon prime. Interesting to see a grunge retrospective but from as close a point in time as 1996.

5 hours ago, MrHew said:

We've started New Girl from the beginning aswe've only seen it from part way through series 4. It's stupid and funny which is just what I need right now.

I've always liked New Girl- found it very funny! Didn't seem to become as popular as it should have

I binged the new one on Netflix, 'Hollywood'

I dont really know if I genuinely liked it... its watchable. It may have been trying too hard to be inspiring (it kinda was, but also unrealistic). 

Black Sails- I've started that at season one and I'm about 4 episodes in but I'm a bit bored and I dont really care about any of the characters, but it's got 4 seasons so maybe it gets better? 

22 hours ago, northernringo said:

Enjoy listening to The Ramones and have them on my list to eventually go through their discography. Where did you watch the documentary?

It was on the MUBI channel on Amazon Prime but I've just checked and its not there anymore. If you can find a place to rent it though its well worth a couple quid. Or if you have any other methods of seeing films, no judgement :) 

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:29 AM, MrHew said:

I'm watching "2 Broke Girls" on amazon prime . Pretty Similar stupid comedy which is I'm needing right now.

1 hour ago, Walker2295 said:

I'm watching "2 Broke Girls" on amazon prime . Pretty Similar stupid comedy which is I'm needing right now.

Always thought that was underrated. Kat Dennings always makes me chuckle.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

Always thought that was underrated. Kat Dennings always makes me chuckle.

Yes it wasn't in anyway realistic and there was some lazy stereotypes but it was quite enjoyable all the same. 

I seem to be getting a bigger list of things to watch but actually spending even less time watching TV than normal. 

I am now up to film 12 of the Marvel series. This was one of the husband's wishlist things to do in lockdown and there's only a few of them that I am really interested in but I actually enjoyed Guardians Of The Galaxy way more than I expected. 

TV series I want to see now:

The Detectorists

Normal People

Noughts and Crosses

Better Call Saul (This one is tricky because husband has seen it and I suspect I need to binge watch a few to get into it)

Bosch

Safe

The Stranger 

Money Heist

Ozark

You (Series 2)

If anyone can help me prioritise the TV shows that would be great!

On 5/4/2020 at 12:25 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Maybe start working through every Star Wars films today. Especially if you check out what date today is

May the fourth be with you😉

I recently got a big ass telly and wanted to give it a bit of a test so downloaded the most recent star wars film in 4k.  It looked and sounded amazing but it just reminded me how bad that film actually was.  People hated on Last Jedi but the final film was an absolute shit-tip.

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

I recently got a big ass telly and wanted to give it a bit of a test so downloaded the most recent star wars film in 4k.  It looked and sounded amazing but it just reminded me how bad that film actually was.  People hated on Last Jedi but the final film was an absolute shit-tip.

I watched it at the cinema post pub and armed with a tonne of wine and enjoyed watching it, the problems all seemed quite charming.

Slapped it on the other day hungover and struggled to finish it. Prequels level bad is a strong term but it's close. 

8 hours ago, priest17 said:

I watched it at the cinema post pub and armed with a tonne of wine and enjoyed watching it, the problems all seemed quite charming.

Slapped it on the other day hungover and struggled to finish it. Prequels level bad is a strong term but it's close. 

I’d argue it’s worse than the prequels. The prequels were bad, but at least had an overarching story that was clear from A to B to C. TROS was just so poorly written and put together, with mega important plot points being brushed over in a single line of off the cuff dialogue, or even just a ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ scene that explains an important characters origins etc. Fan service to the point that it felt like a fan had cobbled it together in one draft in one evening.

Why Disney thought they could make a Star Wars trilogy by just handing three films to (initially) three different directors and saying ‘do what you want’ I’ll never know. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d argue it’s worse than the prequels. The prequels were bad, but at least had an overarching story that was clear from A to B to C. TROS was just so poorly written and put together, with mega important plot points being brushed over in a single line of off the cuff dialogue, or even just a ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ scene that explains an important characters origins etc. Fan service to the point that it felt like a fan had cobbled it together in one draft in one evening.

Why Disney thought they could make a Star Wars trilogy by just handing three films to (initially) three different directors and saying ‘do what you want’ I’ll never know. 

I think they got away with it with eps 7 and 8, two films I really liked (Last Jedi in particular is a masterpiece of the franchise and the best film since Empire). The problem was in rehiring Abrams who clearly had no interest in picking up the baton and just wanted to sequelise his own film.

Hiring a third film maker who had the respect to carry on the story of both predecessors would have worked so much better. Anyone who hasn't yet, I recommend you give Colin Trevorrow's version of ep9 a Google, for all the shit he gets as a film maker it sounded pretty awesome to me. His firing makes me really question Kathleen Kennedy's decisions some times. 

My own relationship with TROS will be complicated, I saw it twice in the cinema, was highly disappointed the first time at how it shat all over the ideas of my favourite of the new ones and ignored its main themes. Namely, that the force and being a Jedi isn't a dynasty of some privileged few but something that can happen to anyone, nah fuck it she's a P*******e. But when I saw it a second time, the Star Wars feels hit me more and I really got into it. In my head now its a film I sort of like but don't have many nice things to actually say about it. 

They haven’t made a good Star Wars film since Jedi (and that has its flaws). Solo was the closest they got as it at least has a coherent story. Mandolorian and Clone Wars were good TV shows but the films are just a mess of story telling. 

I am finally getting round to watching Star Trek Discovery. 10 episodes in and I am struggling with it.