What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching The Leftovers- absolutely loved series 2, one of my favourite series of a tv show ever! (Big surprise to me as I watched the first series ages ago and thought it was just okay)- no one else I know seems to have watched it though!😩

On 4/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, zero000 said:

For those who haven’t seen it watch The Leftovers. Criminally underrated. The rapture type concept could have been done terribly, but the narrative is terrific and the acting is always top draw. It’s not a show with clear answers, but if you’re willing to sit with the uncertainty it pays off. 

Ah, just gone back and seen this post- absolutely agree, loved it!

8 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Ah, just gone back and seen this post- absolutely agree, loved it!

Aye I’m always up for bigging up The Leftovers. Easily one of my favourite shows of recent years/ever. I really enjoyed the first season which follows the book very closely, but season 2 and 3 which are entirely original just take the story to a whole new, weird and incredible level. Brilliant acting all around and at just three season it didn’t overstay it’s welcome.

Everybody watch The Leftovers!

• Upvote 3

Westworld season 3 is some of the best telly I've seen in a while, slick and classy with a great soundtrack and the ever lovable Aaron Paul.  Script is almost Alex Garland quality sci-fi.  Talking of which, Devs might not be to everyone's taste, but if you want a spiritual successor to the magnificent Ex Machina soundtrack you'll find it here.

Reading all the gushing praise for BCS I'm tempted to give it another crack, I gave up on it early in season 2 on my first watch, similarly Mr Robot (which again has a reputation for top-flight writing and soundtrack).

Honourable mention for Don't fuck with cats.

7 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Westworld season 3 is some of the best telly I've seen in a while, slick and classy with a great soundtrack and the ever lovable Aaron Paul.  Script is almost Alex Garland quality sci-fi.  Talking of which, Devs might not be to everyone's taste, but if you want a spiritual successor to the magnificent Ex Machina soundtrack you'll find it here.

Reading all the gushing praise for BCS I'm tempted to give it another crack, I gave up on it early in season 2 on my first watch, similarly Mr Robot (which again has a reputation for top-flight writing and soundtrack).

Honourable mention for Don't fuck with cats.

Bloody love the Mr Robot soundtrack, which I think I made pretty clear earlier in this thread!

37 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

'What we do in the shadows' - just remembered how much I love it as it's on BBC2 now. I've met a fair number of  emotional vampires!

They’ve gotta be ready to show season two soon (currently airing in the states) then if they’re repeating the first season. Everyone knows a Colin Robinson. 

12 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching The Leftovers- absolutely loved series 2, one of my favourite series of a tv show ever! (Big surprise to me as I watched the first series ages ago and thought it was just okay)- no one else I know seems to have watched it though!😩

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Aye I’m always up for bigging up The Leftovers. Easily one of my favourite shows of recent years/ever. I really enjoyed the first season which follows the book very closely, but season 2 and 3 which are entirely original just take the story to a whole new, weird and incredible level. Brilliant acting all around and at just three season it didn’t overstay it’s welcome.

Everybody watch The Leftovers!

I echo both of these. One of the best shows ever and Carrie Coon should be in everything ever.

12 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Rewatched ‘Banshee’- another excellent show no one else seemed to watch!

Banshee was utter nonsense, it was bloody brilliant! :D 

I've recently piled through Tales from the Loop (sometimes excellent, sometimes rather tedious), Devs, After Life Season 2, and just about to start season 4 of Money Heist on Netflix which is really good. Started Gangs of London this weekend too which is the only tv show that I have seen that makes you wince, say bloody hell, and then laugh when watching it as some of the scenes are a tad brutal :D

Also this weekend we watched all of After Life for the first time. I enjoyed it, found it sweet, sometimes funny and oddly comforting. But that's in the face of some of the writing which is god awful.

- (mild spoiler)That death that happens in season 1, what kind of tone death shit was that? And its never mentioned again in spite Tony playing a big part in it.

- Get rid of that therapist character, anyone who's started season 2 will surely notice the completely different character he is compared to season 1. Both versions bring the show to a halt when he shows up. He sucks.

- I know Gervais and atheism are inseparable but does he have to have the same condescending conversation with a "believer" where she (in this case) spoon feeds him the lines he's so proud to get to say to intellectually elevate himself over everyone. Try writing a religious character who has thought about their faith past the basic 8 year old level maybe?

- Not gonna say I'm impervious to the emotions, but if you knew Tony in real life and every conversation led to talking about his dead wife you'd start to avoid talking to him.

- I think Gervais has stopped writing jokes so much as blunt force f and c bombs. I laughed but no one is quoting these lines in the way they do Office and Extras.

Like I say I liked it. The performances/characters have real warmth to them and it has a nice cosy setting, which in a situation like this feels nice to watch. From what I read people who have gone through similar issues are connecting to the show which is great. It's also much better than Derek and Special Correspondents. I'd be curious to know what other people think of it, in relation to Gervais' other work and just in general.

3 minutes ago, cdm22 said:

Banshee was utter nonsense, it was bloody brilliant! :D 

I've recently piled through Tales from the Loop (sometimes excellent, sometimes rather tedious), Devs, After Life Season 2, and just about to start season 4 of Money Heist on Netflix which is really good. Started Gangs of London this weekend too which is the only tv show that I have seen that makes you wince, say bloody hell, and then laugh when watching it as some of the scenes are a tad brutal :D

I tried tales from the Loop, I got to the third episode (the the one where she finds the pause time device in the lake) and fell asleep during it and haven’t gone back since. It’s got a lot of promise, I saw it described as black mirror meets stranger things, which would probably make it my favourite show, but it’s just so slooooww.

2 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Also this weekend we watched all of After Life for the first time. I enjoyed it, found it sweet, sometimes funny and oddly comforting. But that's in the face of some of the writing which is god awful.

- (mild spoiler)That death that happens in season 1, what kind of tone death shit was that? And its never mentioned again in spite Tony playing a big part in it.

- Get rid of that therapist character, anyone who's started season 2 will surely notice the completely different character he is compared to season 1. Both versions bring the show to a halt when he shows up. He sucks.

- I know Gervais and atheism are inseparable but does he have to have the same condescending conversation with a "believer" where she (in this case) spoon feeds him the lines he's so proud to get to say to intellectually elevate himself over everyone. Try writing a religious character who has thought about their faith past the basic 8 year old level maybe?

- Not gonna say I'm impervious to the emotions, but if you knew Tony in real life and every conversation led to talking about his dead wife you'd start to avoid talking to him.

- I think Gervais has stopped writing jokes so much as blunt force f and c bombs. I laughed but no one is quoting these lines in the way they do Office and Extras.

Like I say I liked it. The performances/characters have real warmth to them and it has a nice cosy setting, which in a situation like this feels nice to watch. From what I read people who have gone through similar issues are connecting to the show which is great. It's also much better than Derek and Special Correspondents. I'd be curious to know what other people think of it, in relation to Gervais' other work and just in general.

Yeah, one thing I was expecting after the first series is that he would now be happier and over his wife. I’ve only watched four episodes of the second series, but the fact he hasn’t and regularly still says how much he isn’t and then starts crying again mid sentence is actually rather grating. I’m not diminishing people’s grief in this situation, but this is scripted entertainment so doesn’t have to be that way. 

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah, one thing I was expecting after the first series is that he would now be happier and over his wife. I’ve only watched four episodes of the second series, but the fact he hasn’t and regularly still says how much he isn’t and then starts crying again mid sentence is actually rather grating. I’m not diminishing people’s grief in this situation, but this is scripted entertainment so doesn’t have to be that way. 

100%. Although one thing the show never establishes (unless I missed it) is how long ago she died. If it was just before season 1 started I kind of get it, though he should surely not be trying to date like he has been. But if its a year or so which feels more right you'd think he'd be past the constantly talking about it stage.

I know I sound awful now and sorry to anyone who thinks I'm an insensitive nob. But as said above it just makes for too repetitive TV. 

10 minutes ago, 1986 said:

100%. Although one thing the show never establishes (unless I missed it) is how long ago she died. If it was just before season 1 started I kind of get it, though he should surely not be trying to date like he has been. But if its a year or so which feels more right you'd think he'd be past the constantly talking about it stage.

I know I sound awful now and sorry to anyone who thinks I'm an insensitive nob. But as said above it just makes for too repetitive TV. 

I think him constantly going on about having the perfect marriage and the perfect love is also a similarly grating, yeah we get it. And by no means are you an insensitive nob, it’s not a documentary.

I don’t know if you’ve seen Extras but it reminds me of the Ben Stiller episode, so you’d think Gervais would be aware of labouring the point!

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think him constantly going on about having the perfect marriage and the perfect love is also a similarly grating, yeah we get it. And by no means are you an insensitive nob, it’s not a documentary.

I don’t know if you’ve seen Extras but it reminds me of the Ben Stiller episode, so you’d think Gervais would be aware of labouring their point!

Oh god yeah, their perfect fairy-tale marriage, where he films himself doing the most annoying loud practical jokes and she's nothing but gracious about it.

I've seen Extras loads of times, I can't believe I didn't make that connection. Thank you for that I'll be passing that round a few people I know😆

48 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t know if you’ve seen Extras but it reminds me of the Ben Stiller episode, so you’d think Gervais would be aware of labouring the point!

And who the fuck is going round filming them both all the time.

After Life sits in a really odd place in my opinion. It’s watchable but at the same time some of the writing is so bad and characters really poorly drawn. The therapist is one of the worst ever written, his personality is so jarring and makes absolutely no sense. 

I love Gervais, The Office and Extras are two of the best sitcoms ever written but I think Stephen Merchant’s contribution is sorely missed in all of Ricky’s work since. Anyone familiar with the podcasts will also see so much of them ripped off in After Life. 

I think he’s treading old ground and repeating the same lines and jokes now constantly in whatever he does. Every interview he does about After Life he says the same things. 

Will check out The Leftovers after reading this thread. Just started Normal People, pretty good. Also Crip Camp and Circus of Books two goo docs on Netflix.

Just now, ModernMan said:

After Life sits in a really odd place in my opinion. It’s watchable but at the same time some of the writing is so bad and characters really poorly drawn. The therapist is one of the worst ever written, his personality is so jarring and makes absolutely no sense

I love Gervais, The Office and Extras are two of the best sitcoms ever written but I think Stephen Merchant’s contribution is sorely missed in all of Ricky’s work since. Anyone familiar with the podcasts will also see so much of them ripped off in After Life. 

I think he’s treading old ground and repeating the same lines and jokes now constantly in whatever he does. Every interview he does about After Life he says the same things. 

Will check out The Leftovers after reading this thread. Just started Normal People, pretty good. Also Crip Camp and Circus of Books two goo docs on Netflix.

I do enjoy Paul Kaye's performance. He manages to swagger whilst sitting down. I quite fancy going for a night out with him and his mates, but you're right he makes no sense. His patients would just walk out and find a proper therapist, he doesn't fit the realistic tone of the rest of the show.

36 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

After Life sits in a really odd place in my opinion. It’s watchable but at the same time some of the writing is so bad and characters really poorly drawn. The therapist is one of the worst ever written, his personality is so jarring and makes absolutely no sense. 

Completely echo your thoughts here. Have watched both series of After Life but I find a lot of it so poorly written and both so incredibly overly sentimental yet always falling back on his need to call somebody a ‘c**t’ or have one of Gervais’ classic edgy opinions on day to day behaviours. I’ve continued to watch as there is the odd bit/character that I enjoy and it’s easy to just stick on and half watch, but I mostly hate the overall story and tone.