Seriously my hands...

Clubber Lang

To hopefully lighten the mood, I thought I'd start a thread! -  I don't really want this to be a doom and gloom Covid-19 thread, more of a lighthearted observation of the random things and oddities of your current daily life, whatever that may be - these may just apply to me as the following now occurs round my house:

Hands are now washed 6,000 times a day - fact. As a result of all the hand washing my hands are now as dry as the Sahara desert, has anyone else experienced the same?

A consequence of this is that there has been 12,000 verses of happy birthday sung, the kids have now gone into remixes and ventured out into new songs such as twinkle twinkle little star - it's April, Come on!

Clothes are now washed almost as much as my hands, a simple trip to the local shop to buy essential bread, results in a full strip and a shower.

As I'm working from home, Zoom, which I'd never heard of until 3 weeks ago has now become the thing I can't live without.

I've rediscovered board games, and you will be pleased to hear I'm still the boss at Cluedo!

All the house jobs are pretty much done, yet somehow the wife is still grumpy with me - I'm not a mind reader but I'm guessing because they're not done correctly! 

Have any of you guys had similar experiences or for any other oddities about the current events? 

My youngest step daughter is getting into jigsaws, possibly connected to a bet about unlimited pizza if she finished the first one. We have weekly video calls with my side of the family, my wife and I take walks out together, since we don't have the date night option outside, I've started riding the bike again to counteract the amount of booze I've bought to keep micro breweries going, we spend more time taking over tea, as there are no things to rush for. But it is weird not having a clear work /life /social life boundary like before, and I know that's a privileged thing to be able to say. I'm not Stanley Johnson BTW.

2 hours ago, carlosj said:

My youngest step daughter is getting into jigsaws, possibly connected to a bet about unlimited pizza if she finished the first one. We have weekly video calls with my side of the family, my wife and I take walks out together, since we don't have the date night option outside, I've started riding the bike again to counteract the amount of booze I've bought to keep micro breweries going, we spend more time taking over tea, as there are no things to rush for. But it is weird not having a clear work /life /social life boundary like before, and I know that's a privileged thing to be able to say. I'm not Stanley Johnson BTW.

I've done the micros too, probably spent as much on booze staying in as I would going out. 

The bedtime routine has gone to pot, my girls push the boundaries, however they've become motivated for Joe wicks, which is a blessing.

My wife is a teacher for key workers so she's going out. My neighbour bit it quite well, child: 'so you've been telling me all these years, and now you're saying stay in! Jackpot!'

Yes to the hands thing. Horribly dry!

Although I've found the opposite with clothes. I hadn't even thought I should wash them all as soon as I got in.... Plus I go out like every three days (exercise at home or in the shared garden that no one else uses) so I'm doing like one wash a week! No need for fancy work clothes and tights. Baggy jeans all week like I'm a teenager again. Boom!

Consider purer soap, especially fragrance free and few additives, and hand cream from a tube, more hygienic than a jar or pot.  

I typically wash my hands about forty times a day (I work with ink, charcoal and paint, I am not paranoid, it is messy work).  

Do all carry on washing, even if dry hands are a pest, they are safer than this disease. 

Edited by WhoamI?

There's a couple of women in our community who have a PR company and who, in the Before Times (BT), ran networking meetings.  Last week they emailed us with a new idea called Doorstep Disco.  It works thus:

At 7pm last Saturday we all joined a Zoom, er group?  chat? thingy?  One of them, anyway.  Simultaneously, our local community radio - also in the zoom - played an hour of cheesy tunes.  85 households joined in, many dressed up, and danced around their living rooms/bedrooms/driveways for an hour.  It was ace, a real pressure release.  It was great to see many familiar faces, and like the clap on Thursdays, it was a great to make a kind of contact with people nearby who we don't currently get to see. 

It's to be a weekly event now with prizes for the best dressed.

10 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

There's a couple of women in our community who have a PR company and who, in the Before Times (BT), ran networking meetings.  Last week they emailed us with a new idea called Doorstep Disco.  It works thus:

At 7pm last Saturday we all joined a Zoom, er group?  chat? thingy?  One of them, anyway.  Simultaneously, our local community radio - also in the zoom - played an hour of cheesy tunes.  85 households joined in, many dressed up, and danced around their living rooms/bedrooms/driveways for an hour.  It was ace, a real pressure release.  It was great to see many familiar faces, and like the clap on Thursdays, it was a great to make a kind of contact with people nearby who we don't currently get to see. 

It's to be a weekly event now with prizes for the best dressed.

That sounds like fun, if the situation is the same come the end of June - maybe someone on here could organise something similar and have a virtual efests meet!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

Avoiding people on the street or in car parks is like some old timey dance where you have to step sideways or backwards without touching anyone. 

I call it the pavement tango.

Although, it doesn't have quite the same sensuality...

10 hours ago, Clubber Lang said:

I've done the micros too, probably spent as much on booze staying in as I would going out. 

The bedtime routine has gone to pot, my girls push the boundaries, however they've become motivated for Joe wicks, which is a blessing.

My wife is a teacher for key workers so she's going out. My neighbour bit it quite well, child: 'so you've been telling me all these years, and now you're saying stay in! Jackpot!'

The reverse bedtime happens for us. Our 3 aren't too late, but get up late. However, they keep on doing things and are in a good frame of mind, so I'm not bothered, as their mental happiness is more important than my Stasi regulations.

I have had really bad eczema on my hands from all of this. If you are struggling as well on amazon you can buy "epaderm ointment" and a pair of cotton gloves. Put loads of the ointment on your hands before going to bed, put the cotton gloves on top and sleep over night with the cotton gloves. I've been doing it for about a week and the condition of my hands has significantly improved.