Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

Problem with a Peter Kay tribute is Kay himself has been flogging the same jokes for 20 years or more.

He'll be on here soon to say Foals aren't big enough to headline. 

Kay is a much better writer of scripted comedy than he is a stand up. His stand up is literally just picking something from the past and shouting “Remember that?!?l

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kay is a much better writer of scripted comedy than he is a stand up. His stand up is literally just picking something from the past and shouting “Remember that?!?l

TBF when he first did it, it really worked.  Remember the first time I watched his first big one at Blackpool Tower and it had me in absolute bits, nit just because it was "remember that" but because he pointed out the ridiculousness around some of it.  The big light bit was a prime example for me, because that's exactly what we called it but it made no sense!

But it's a style that suffers massively from diminishing returns, and hasn't aged particularly well in that respect.  A very limited form of observational comedy, but in its time and place it was very bloody funny.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Agreed. I think Phoenix Nights is actually a bit underrated. I know it's highly thought of but it doesn't seem to get mentioned as much when people talk about those great late 90s/early 00s British sitcoms (The Office, I'm Alan Partridge etc.)

He's a one trick pony when it comes to stand up and I think even he realises that given he's not toured for a good while.

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Agreed. I think Phoenix Nights is actually a bit underrated. I know it's highly thought of but it doesn't seem to get mentioned as much when people talk about those great late 90s/early 00s British sitcoms (The Office, I'm Alan Partridge etc.)

He's a one trick pony when it comes to stand up and I think even he realises that given he's not toured for a good while.

Phoenix Nights would make my top five sitcoms:

The Simpsons,

The Thick of It,

Phoenix Nights,

I’m Alan Partridge,

Father Ted

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

TBF when he first did it, it really worked.  Remember the first time I watched his first big one at Blackpool Tower and it had me in absolute bits, nit just because it was "remember that" but because he pointed out the ridiculousness around some of it.  The big light bit was a prime example for me, because that's exactly what we called it but it made no sense!

Exactly. I'll always respond fondly to the 'Mum Wants a Bungalow' Tour stuff because we got the Bolton Albert Halls video at Christmas 03 and the whole family were in bits, together. It was just so much fun. I was 12 and so it was fresh to me even if I didn't get a lot of the references, and I just responded to the reactions of my family. My Grandma died in May '04 but I'll never forget watching her cry tears of laughter at that video. 

All this said, I care naught to see a Peter Kay tribute at Glasto. 

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

WTF is going on in this thread?

A very good question. We went from Skunk Anansie to having a clear Glastonbury shaped gap, to a suggestion of DJ Koze (good shout @TiZuff) being in Europe, to a Peter Kay tribute act playing Blackpool Pier in June.

And that's when things got odd.

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Unfortunately I think he might be quite seriously ill although he's been private about it, he didn't look well during comic relief. 

Phoenix Nights is absolutely superb, there's a lot of great stuff in there...even Mik Artistik is in an episode.