Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

LCD is a set I wish I could have been at. In 2016 I wouldn't have given a shit about them but now they're probably second in the list of bands I'd really like to at Glastonbury someday. That last five song run looked pretty damn special. Hopefully they'll play again another year. Ideally headlining the other again.

Edited by Miyn

2 hours ago, Miyn said:

LCD is a set I wish I could have been at. In 2016 I wouldn't have given a shit about them but now they're probably second in the list of bands I'd really like to at Glastonbury someday. That last five song run looked pretty damn special. Hopefully they'll play again another year. Ideally headlining the other again.

It was perfection. I wouldn’t rank LCD as the best set I’ve ever seen, it’s close, however the last run of tunes during the second half is unbeatable. I can’t really put words to it, but it was like the whole crowd just morphed together and didn’t stop dancing for a second. Where I was stood, people were in tears and just hugging strangers. Can’t imaging experiencing anything like it ever again. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

It was perfection. I wouldn’t rank LCD as the best set I’ve ever seen, it’s close, however the last run of tunes during the second half is unbeatable. I can’t really put words to it, but it was like the whole crowd just morphed together and didn’t stop dancing for a second. Where I was stood, people were in tears and just hugging strangers. Can’t imaging experiencing anything like it ever again. 

It looked great on TV, I can only imagine what it was like there. I'd love to see them, but I don't know how'd they'd do it better than in 2016 if they ever played again. The end of All My Friends definitely seemed like an ethereal moment of dancing and hugging strangers.

1 hour ago, Miyn said:

It looked great on TV, I can only imagine what it was like there. I'd love to see them, but I don't know how'd they'd do it better than in 2016 if they ever played again. The end of All My Friends definitely seemed like an ethereal moment of dancing and hugging strangers.

Tbf, their set at APE was almost as good!

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

LCD were great but the damage was done earlier in the weekend and I literally didn't have the energy or drugs to get truly behind it. Wish it had been on the Saturday.

That was part of the magic wasn’t it, with the conditions that year we’d all pushed ourselves to the limits, there was little of nothing left in the tank for one last party, but the atmosphere for them in that smallish crowd was wonderful and they well & truly delivered.

APE set was magnificent but inevitably lacked that unique context.

21 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve not had any interest in Muse for a long time but they still manage to surprise me by coming out of nowhere and landing the odd massive gig.

They are a very easy option for Glastonbury in any year and always get a big crowd on the farm. They also seem to play the farm every 5 odd years so we are due a return.

I've just had someone say to me they've heard there's been conversations with Glastonbury - although from the way it's been said I'm not putting full belief in the accuracy of that.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've just had someone say to me they've heard there's been conversations with Glastonbury - although from the way it's been said I'm not putting full belief in the accuracy of that.

As gutting as it would be it would not surprise me if they are playing it safe and locking two fan favourites down early (AM and Muse). Glastonbury might not have the luxury of waiting till late to sort bookings this year as I doubt any band is going to throw together a last minute tour next year. Things are too uncertain.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

As gutting as it would be it would not surprise me if they are playing it safe and locking two fan favourites down early (AM and Muse). Glastonbury might not have the luxury of waiting till late to sort bookings this year as I doubt any band is going to throw together a last minute tour next year. Things are too uncertain.

taking this to the headliner's thread....

17 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I only really got properly into LCD when This Is Happening came out. Before that I was pretty much the same as you (familiarity extended to Daft Punk Is Playing At My House and not much further), so SOS was a retrospective find for me. I liked (and still do like) This Is Happening, but SOS blew my away and is one of my favourite albums now. All My Friends and Someone Great in particular being two of the best songs of the 21st century.

tl;dr - I take your point and all but if you say 'yeah it's alright' you're getting cancelled

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I demand a live blog of instant impressions!

I'm going in. Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

14 hours ago, jparx said:

I'm normally really tired and sluggish on the Sunday night but I got such a buzz off them, and the crowd. It was a magical atmosphere, I haven't experienced anything else like it.

• Upvote 1

OK @SwedgeAntilles and @Hugh Jass, as promised I've stuck in the headphones and given Sound of Silver a proper spin for the first time. I'm no music critic so song by song breakdown ain't gonna happen, but here's my thoughts...

First up, definitely a good album.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Started off feeling very Talking Heads on Get Innocuous!, and it really felt like a great opening track that left me looking forward to the rest of it.

First half of the album up to All My Friends is awesome.  Properly good, and I can see the plaudits.  Toe tapping, grooving, and some lovely stuff in there.  Someone Great in particular I want to go back and listen to a few more times, as I don't think I got all the detail on first listen.

All My Friends is incredible.  Just captures so much feeling, nostalgia, sense of growing up/old and having those close to you with you, tied to an absolute banger of a track.  I can absolutely get why this must have been such a highlight and way to finish the Sunday night. I would have been hugging everyone and anyone as well :D

For me it did tail off a little in the second half.  Still good, but I think that the euphoria of a track like AMF midway through an album can do that. What comes after just doesn't feel quite the same. 

All told, it'll be getting repeat listens and if they reappear I'll add them to the list of bands to see.

tl;dr - it's alright :lol:

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 2

I'll take it @Quark. As much as I love it I will concede that Watch The Tapes in the weakest track on it, similarly SOS itself is fine but not at the level of the rest of the album. I do love New York, I Love You though. I think that might grow on you after repeated listens too. 

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'll take it @Quark. As much as I love it I will concede that Watch The Tapes in the weakest track on it, similarly SOS itself is fine but not at the level of the rest of the album. I do love New York, I Love You though. I think that might grow on you after repeated listens too. 

I'd probably agree. I also think the 8-odd minutes of Us v Them just felt like it was very drawn out after AMF.

NYILY was a good 'un, that's one I had marked down in my head as one to listen to properly again.

But yep, it'll be one I go back to.  AMF will be getting added to a few of my playlists as well.

Edited by Quark