Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Fair enough. Just a matter of differing perspectives on it then, I suppose.

I'll be surprised if Biffy do Glastonbury and Download in the same year consecutive times and the Bellahouston Park show has made them less likely in my eyes because now their own outdoor show could explain why they weren't exclusive at Download.

I figure the Idles thing is because they want a run at four or five Brixton shows without having to make it part of their normal tour. Pretty sure London dates have been separated from normal tours by other bands at other times of year. I think they'll be at Glastonbury but the ball isn't in the net yet.

Yes but they weren't an English Exclusive at Download either. With the repeat bookings that Download to and even bands on the same day I can't see them saying no to Biffy wanting to do Glastonbury if offered too....probably just happy to be able to get 3 headliners that are that stature for the festival.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Jokes aside, Muse are an odd one.  If I was to go through their catalogue I could pick out a setlist of songs where I know I'd thoroughly enjoy a good 75% of them.  IMO they've released some absolute bangers over the years.  The quality has dropped over the years, certainly since BH&R, but you can still build a decent list.

They put on a big OTT show, and I'm a sucker for stuff like that on a big stage. 

But despite all that they just don't...excite me as a prospect. Or anyone that I know tbh.  Everyone seems to have them as an acceptable option if nothing else is on, although that may be because most of the ones I know have been to Glastonbury enough to have seen them at least once.

Yeah they have entered the stage now though where I'm not confident enough I'm going to get a setlist cutting enough of the shit out.

I’ve not had any interest in Muse for a long time but they still manage to surprise me by coming out of nowhere and landing the odd massive gig.

They are a very easy option for Glastonbury in any year and always get a big crowd on the farm. They also seem to play the farm every 5 odd years so we are due a return.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve not had any interest in Muse for a long time but they still manage to surprise me by coming out of nowhere and landing the odd massive gig.

For someone seemingly obsessed with the relative sizes of acts it surprises me that you’re surprised.

They’ve been regularly headlining major festivals and selling out stadia since 2004. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Thankfully I don't think we have to worry about Muse headlining next year, but I could see a secret set in John Peel. And that could be absolutely mental if they come out with a condensed, wall to wall banger setlist.

Oosh, 45 -60 minutes of peak Muse? Bugger me that really would be immense.

Just now, sisco said:

I loved them in 2010.  Pretty sure I went to see DJ Luck and Mc Neat instead in 2016 😂

I tried to do the Friday of 2016 normally despite the mud and when Foals finished and I wanted to go somewhere else my legs just laughed at me. Trying to pit in the mud bath of Will's Green earlier that day probably didn't help ahah

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

I tried to do the Friday of 2016 normally despite the mud and when Foals finished and I wanted to go somewhere else my legs just laughed at me. Trying to pit in the mud bath of Will's Green earlier that day probably didn't help ahah

That was a hard hard year on the legs! Funny story, I forgot to pack socks for my wellies.  It’s ok, I’ll wear them anyway for 5 days straight..... still have hardly any hair on my legs to this day because of it

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

For someone seemingly obsessed with the relative sizes of acts it surprises me that you’re surprised.

They’ve been regularly headlining major festivals and selling out stadia since 2004. 

:P 

Yeah the angle I’m surprised at though is they still seem to be a solid choice for most mainstream festivals despite being clearly past it. Their commercial peak was quite a while ago now and I never hear of them really. Seem to have a very loyal fanbase which don’t shout about them much.

21 minutes ago, sisco said:

That was a hard hard year on the legs! Funny story, I forgot to pack socks for my wellies.  It’s ok, I’ll wear them anyway for 5 days straight..... still have hardly any hair on my legs to this day because of it

Awh man that's rough ahah (or not in the case of your legs)

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I guess a band that's still active with the back catalogue they have is always going to be there or thereabouts, even if it's a fallback option.

There are plenty of bands who fit that description though and don’t seem to come back every 5 years.

In 2016 I worked on the VIP gates with Oxfam and Matt Bellamy’s chef came through the gates and chatted with us for a bit. He was a nice guy. He basically said that the band have a very good relationship with the festival and Emily and Michael are fans. Basically they are willing to play whenever and will always make way for the festival if they asked.

Despite not being the most relevant band out there they have a very solid track record with big shows and I guess their reputation is probably what keeps them in big slots.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Despite not being the most relevant band out there they have a very solid track record with big shows and I guess their reputation is probably what keeps them in big slots.

Yeah, call it a combination of that and my theory on the back catalogue and still being active and you're there I reckon. Good call.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

:P 

Yeah the angle I’m surprised at though is they still seem to be a solid choice for most mainstream festivals despite being clearly past it. Their commercial peak was quite a while ago now and I never hear of them really. Seem to have a very loyal fanbase which don’t shout about them much.

One of those bands who were big enough for long enough that they aren’t gonna fall down lineups or album charts any time soon. Just a safe headliner option who consistently release ‘good enough’ material without particularly making any big waves anymore, but they were fucking massive ten+ years ago. Also got a great live reputation which helps. Not sure when I see them headlining Glastonbury again, but it’ll probably happen at some point, if only when the festival is struggling.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

One of those bands who were big enough for long enough that they aren’t gonna fall down lineups or album charts any time soon. Just a safe headliner option who consistently release ‘good enough’ material without particularly making any big waves anymore, but they were fucking massive ten+ years ago. Also got a great live reputation which helps. Not sure when I see them headlining Glastonbury again, but it’ll probably happen at some point, if only when the festival is struggling.

Yeah they headlined 2016 in a bit of a weird time. Headlining the year after an album release. Then again the festival was securing other bookings that might drop out (Adele), and there was chat about the Foos potentially rolling over to 2016 instead of 2017. Muse definitely swooped in and saved the day for the big G.

This is why I think Muse are probably a strong shout for 2021. If Taylor and Kendrick are both out they may be looking for safe options to book as replacements.

Muse / Paul McCartney / Arctic Monkeys is a bit laddy on paper - but in a year where festivals aren’t certain to even be happening they are probably an easy trio to lock in. Three festival favourites too.