Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

If that's true then definitely puts them in contention for a sub slot. Mad that some people will think a band that plays Wembley Arena should headline, but a band that plays The O2 can't sub

Yeah, if they are doing the O2 then I was a fool 😁

They were booked for fourth down this year I can’t see them making the leap to sub to be honest.

Yes they have released a very good album but it’s not been a highly commercial successful cornerstone which should elevate their position.

Edited by Matt42

Could go either way really. Assuming they were lined up for either third or fourth this year, they could easily be bumped up to sub if Glastonbury is in need of one, or just remain in the same slot if the sub slots are already covered by a previously booked 2021 act. Think they’ll be third myself, but could easily jump up to fill Lana’s absent spot and nobody would bat an eyelid.

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Still struggle to see Haim as a sub, O2 or no (a lot of acts play big venues and don't make the leap). If some thought – perhaps rightly – that Vampy Weeks were a touch smaller than usual to take sub, are Haim even at that level?

Think they'd be 3rd. Not bigger than Ellie Goulding, Ed Sheeran or Royal Blood in the years they did it. Not bigger than Elbow, who were below Lana for 2020. Could be proven wrong mind, but a gut check.

I generally agree with Haim not being as big as those acts but you could probably argue that the subs who played after those acts (Beck, The Black Keys, The xx) were all smaller or a similar size to those acts at the time.

Those venues are bigger than Vampire Weekend's most recent tour and definitely bigger than what The National, Tame Impala or Beck could have done when they subbed. I don't think they're a particularly strong sub but I think they're big enough to do it now, especially in a year where this year's subs look unlikely to return and going by other festivals so far there aren't too many big acts touring next year who weren't already around this year. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

They were booked for fourth down this year I can’t see them making the leap to sub to be honest.

Yes they have released a very good album but it’s not been a highly commercial successful cornerstone which should elevate their position.

We don't know it was fourth down to be fair. 

I've mentioned some of them above but Glastonbury subs vary in size wildly and they do seem to like getting critically acclaimed indie acts to sub. Haim are definitely on the pop end of that but I'd say they fit in with that sort of booking quite well. Between that and the festival clearly trying to promote women on the lineup, Haim seem an obvious shout to be moved up.

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The downgrade in strong touring acts is already showing itself on European lineups. I think Haim’s glow-up is pretty well timed and a good result in the face of 2021 forcing someone like alt-J or Elbow to sub.

Surely by this logic they will just get Aerosmith to be bumped up to a sub? 

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If the original plan was to have Aerosmith as some kind of special guest or unannounced secret set mid-Pyramid then I don’t see that changing for 2021.

Haim subbing next year really would be no different than say, Tame Impala doing it in ‘16, and what better way to tackle the 50/50 gender split than having a three-women strong act right near the top of the lineup?

27 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Considering circumstances I could see something like Haim, Aerosmith and Elbow subbing. 2/3 isn’t bad considering 

I don’t see that happening at all. I don’t see there being no new acts other than a Taylor or Kendrick replacement. They will have had artists already in the pipeline for 2021 to sub. 

Whilst HAIM subbing would be a nice thing for the festival to do I can’t see it. If I’m wrong I’m wrong but I just don’t think it really makes sense.

Many Euro festivals are still playing their cards to their chest with acts and on their lineups. Yes some have managed to do a total rollover but there are definitely acts around for 2021 that weren’t around for 2020.

Just now, Dom Wall said:

Did anyone catch the HAIM dates/ venues before the article was pulled?

15 & 16 June: O2 Victoria Warehouse, Manchester
18 June: O2 Arena, London
19 June: Motorpoint Arena, Nottingham
22 June: SSE Hydro, Glasgow
23 June: Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

15 & 16 June: O2 Victoria Warehouse, Manchester
18 June: O2 Arena, London
19 June: Motorpoint Arena, Nottingham
22 June: SSE Hydro, Glasgow
23 June: Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

Shame; can't stand the O2. Will catch them at the fest. Thanks!

Thought they were an outsider to sub this year due to the relationship with Taylor until their tour dates placed them on Saturday.

That top 4 had to be the strongest in history right? Macca, Noel, HAIM, Aerosmith.  Think Crowded House were there too. Crazy strong.

If there are a lack of new touring acts and what with the O2 date etc... I’d say they’re certainly one of the favourites to do it.  They love the festival too so certainly would get the importance of the slot.  

52 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

FYI Neil did say the PR was pulled because the dates are wrong, although likely to be ballpark. 

the mail pulling the PR said the dates are wrong ... but that might be the angle they used to try and encourage places to take it down. It wouldn't be the first time.

It can't be guaranteed they're right right now - but I'll be hugely surprised if they're much different to what was sent out yesterday.

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Aerosmith are getting bumped up to headliner.

But yea as Floor says, Aerosmith were a special guest likely unannounced act, given that they’re clearly not an undercard act anywhere. Moving this ‘mystery act’ up the lineup because they’re not confident that Haim can play such a late main stage slot - despite headlining arenas - would be fuckin weird.

2 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

That's if Noel is definitely out anyway. I know he didn't reschedule his Bristol date but I don't think it's that unlikely he'd do a one-off to play before Macca at Glastonbury.

Could perhaps come in for Lana. Would mean switching days but that is possible.