Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I am not convinced with the money argument as if they were to do a reunion tour I imagine it would go far and wide. I could see them doing stadiums plus Glastonbury plus a big gig for the BBC.

Oasis reuniting and Glastonbury getting them as some sort of exclusive - no chance.

Oasis reuniting and Glastonbury being a date on a long extensive stadium tour... highly likely.

That’s pretty much how I see it.

When Oasis reunite, and they will eventually - there’ll be too much money in table for them not to. My money is on them going down the Roses route of a set of massively lucrative summer outdoor gigs in Manchester (3/4 nights at Heaton most likely) with a stadium tour the following summer. Glastonbury will be part of that second tour.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’ll get a big crowd, but not Stones level IMO. There are still plenty of people out there who can’t stand them and/or remember that they are utterly bobbins live.

Yep.

I didn't bother watching them last time (went to see The Levellers at Avalon if I remember correctly), and wouldn't be arsed again either. Though there probably are a decent number of 15-25 year olds out there who never got the chance and would be excited by the prospect. Until the horror unfolded in front of them that is.

16 minutes ago, Pastor.Of.Muppets said:

Alicia Keys rescheduled her tour and she has a suspicious gap again.

June 24 Krakow

June 25 Prague

June 30 Madrid

July 04 Barcelona

Good spot. I remember we thought she was quite likely to play this year at one point due to a gap in her dates and I'm sure there were still tickets left for her UK gigs, so I guess that's possibly a reason why she could have been left off the poster.  

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yep.

I didn't bother watching them last time (went to see The Levellers at Avalon if I remember correctly), and wouldn't be arsed again either. Though there probably are a decent number of 15-25 year olds out there who never got the chance and would be excited by the prospect. Until the horror unfolded in front of them that is.

Its all about the atmosphere - them, stone Roses, courteeners....its a crowd singalong rather than a great live performance, though the music coming out of the Pyramid at Killers volume would sound great, it's only the vocals that's the problem 

27 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Her being the Sunday sub would be a hell of a lot better than Mumfords that’s for sure. Hopefully her seemingly being back in the frame for next year means they’ve booked a suitable Taylor replacement to follow her... 

Or it’s a direct port from what was in the pipeline already.

I wonder if Mumfords were scheduled to play after Diana Ross... although that could easily have just been the Specials.

I think Oasis would have a huge crowd but the festival would have really good counter programming anyway so you couldnt really think all the stages would have that much smaller crowds. Lets say a Dua Lipa was against Oasis? She would still draw well I figure.

Alicia Keys being back in the picture is promising. Could get shuffled around if need be. Maybe they could wrangle Gwen Stefani this time if BST doesnt retain her and the exclusive.

Edited by Suprefan

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’ll get a big crowd, but not Stones level IMO. There are still plenty of people out there who can’t stand them and/or remember that they are utterly bobbins live.

I’m not usually one for calling out downvoting bit @GlastoEls... really?

Seen Oasis a fair few times and they’ve been pretty poor, and I’m a fan. Their 2004 set goes down as one of the worst headline sets I’ve ever seen.

I don’t think the quality of the oasis set will matter at all. People have been championing this for years. It will be one of the highest attended headline slots the festival will ever have when it happens.

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Alicia ain't that big is she (compared to Miley/KP/Janet/Lauryn Hill)? Would have thought the most likely running order would have been:

TSwiz > Mumford > Alicia > Diana Ross > Specials

This is what I thought but we are so stuck with who the sub is. Also I’m thinking the specials were third down after Diana. They subbed the last time they played and they would fit that chic style singalong set on the pyramid after the legend.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

This is what I thought but we are so stuck with who the sub is. Also I’m thinking the specials were third down after Diana. They subbed the last time they played and they would fit that chic style singalong set on the pyramid after the legend.

The Specials are a weird one 'cause imo they could easily play pre-Diana, but suppose others would disagree and say they need to be higher up.

Alicia third and Mumfords subbing makes the most sense to me, as much as Mumfords would fuck up such a beautiful run.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think the quality of the oasis set will matter at all. People have been championing this for years. It will be one of the highest attended headline slots the festival will ever have when it happens.

I disagree, I remember the day the Stones played - there was a buzz across the site all day, you could feel it. Everything was heading up to 21.30 on the Pyramid, it felt like the entire festival was gearing up to go to that gig. I’ve never seen the festival that excited for an act before or since, and I’m not sure I ever will.

Oasis will draw a big crowd without doubt, but they won’t create that sort of buzz. There will be plenty of people who just wont be that fussed.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Actually I have seen that site-wide buzz once before... and that was for Dolly.

Kylie felt pretty huge last year walking around on thw Sunday morning all I heard was people excited for Kylie, which has been the largest buzz I've seen, however my first year was 2015 so Dolly and Stones could well have been bigger. 

I'll be mad hyped for Oasis, but more in a 'this is gonna be the pissup to end all pissups' vibe rather than 'holy shit I'm finally seeing them at Glastonbury'.

Oasis have already played several times, Liam has played a couple of times not long ago, Noel possibly will've played before then... it's really not the same thing as the Stones finally playing, is it? I'm sure the majority of those massively hyped will be people who were too young to have seen them live the first time 'round, and the performance will be nothing more than adequate. No chance of a defying all odds performance like the Stones gave.

I've seen Oasis live more times than I care to mention and yes, they were often somewhere between disappointing to poor but every so often they knocked it out the park. 

Gem, Andy Bell and Zak Starkey are all solid musicians so you're fine there. Ultimately it comes down to Noel and Liam, in particular Liam. Some of the worst gigs I went to were around the time he was doing this whiny thing with his voice. I'm not sure if he was trying to project his vocal chords or just couldn't be arsed but it was awful. By the time I saw them the last time (at Wembley, months before they broke up) he'd abandoned that and they sounded great. It was the best I've seen them. Now, since the break up, both Noel and Liam have been performing well live individually, if they bring that verve back to a reunion I think they show could be really special.

It would also be great if the set list was heavily littered with tunes from Definitely Maybe, WTSMG and The Masterplan pls.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It would also be great if the set list was heavily littered with tunes from Definitely Maybe, WTSMG and The Masterplan pls.

It's pretty much a given that the first two albums would be featured most heavily and then whatever else they played wouldn't really matter. Outside of them deciding to play some absolute wildcards for whatever reason, it's pretty hard to fuck up an Oasis setlist. Just playing their 1995 setlist again would be ideal.