Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can’t think of many songs which have at least 10+ songs which are bigger than the band itself.

Because of beef with the festival. It’s nothing to do with their “relevancy”. Weird connection but since Glastonbury has given the Foos a chance and the Killers another chance I could see them looking at RHCP. Especially with Josh back. They have that Friday night headline slot written all over them.

If you want to read in to things that Israel gig was meant to be a couple of weeks earlier in June this year and now it's just a couple of days before Glastonbury weekend...

7 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Nah, not kidding. Genuinely can't think of any. I am 26 so maybe their heyday was before my time?

What's their BIG song? Like even if someone isn't too familiar with Blur, they're bound to have heard Song 2 for example

I'm younger than you and even I remember Dani California being a huge single when it came out in 2006. Other than that I just assumed everyone knew Can't Stop, Under the Bridge, By the Way, Californication etc

12 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Nah, not kidding. Genuinely can't think of any. I am 26 so maybe their heyday was before my time?

What's their BIG song? Like even if someone isn't too familiar with Blur, they're bound to have heard Song 2 for example

That is tough because they have four or five big songs in a two-decade span, generally much bigger than Song 2 as well. They were enormous throughout the 90’s and into my childhood in the 2000’s, around the same timeframe as Foo Fighters and Green Day.

Honestly it’s perplexing that you’re so unfamiliar and it’s not a case of them missing you because they are one of those starter-pack rock bands (like the ones above) that teenagers now get into - you have just missed them.

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Honestly it’s perplexing that you’re so unfamiliar and it’s not a case of them missing you because they are one of those starter-pack rock bands (like the ones above) that teenagers now get into - you have just missed them.

Eh, maybe I'll recognise the songs when I hear them. Loads of songs I recognise but don't know the names.

Besides, I didn't really get into music until quite late so skipped a lot of stuff, and took a somewhat alternate route. Like I think I'd listened to Fela Kuti before I had any idea what a Strokes was tbh

I think if RHCP had played that headline set back in '93 then they could well be on a semi-regular headliner roster at Glastonbury these days (or at least through the 90's/00's) but because it never happened and then for one reason or another was never amended somewhere down the line, I don't see it happening now. I suppose with John back there might be slightly more clamour for them being booked by festivals, but honestly outside of those who were fans in the 90's, John's return probably means fuck all, and they're still a band who despite being huge in their day (like dental said, right up there with Foos and Green Day in terms of 'introductory rock bands') just don't seem to have clung on to that status quite so much, and two completely forgettable recent albums over the last decade without John probably hasn't helped.

I actually used to love them mind, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited to hear a new album with John, even if it is abundantly clear that he's back in the band for the money, and that it'll probably be shit.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I actually used to love them mind, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited to hear a new album with John, even if it is abundantly clear that he's back in the band for the money, and that it'll probably be shit.

This, really. The first albums with Josh were actually a slight improvement after the atrocity that's called Stadium Arcadium. The tour of 2006 was balls as well. Guys really need to stop these dull jams in-between songs. 

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

This, really. The first albums with Josh were actually a slight improvement after the atrocity that's called Stadium Arcadium. The tour of 2006 was balls as well. Guys really need to stop these dull jams in-between songs. 

Eh, Stadium Arcadium was overlong and had no right to be a double album, but I still massively prefer it to what came after, although that may just be because my interest in them dropped significantly after seeing them live in '06/'07 and them being terrible, and then John leaving who has always been the most interesting part of the band. Even if/when the new album is crap, it'll at least be nice to have some nice John guitar work and vocals.

2 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

This probably puts them out anyway 

Well at least we can put that to rest early.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Killers headlined that festival the night before they did an evening John Peel set. We’re not free from the terror yet.

Tho Tel Aviv on Wednesday means it’s likely Sunday or bust.

Good point - especially as it sounds like Sunday is going to need filling