Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Megan and Doja both strike me as acts who would charge too much for the slot Glastonbury would offer them. Up and coming hip hop acts like them always seem to get big fast (and moreso in the US) and immediately demand higher slots, and whilst festivals like Longitude and Wireless can afford it because it’s their base, I doubt Glastonbury would feel the need to do the same.

Yet they are both playing quite moderate slots at European festivals across the board. I don’t really agree but hey ho 

Edited by Matt42

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think we’l just have to agree to disagree on this. They both have 2021 tour dates and are in the area. There are slots that they could both do.

Also not too sure about your Camila argument either. But we can agree to disagree.

By what degree is Megan’s album a flop? I get it didn’t chart well but Camila’s latest album didn’t make the top 10 here either. I don’t think Megan, Camila, or Doja are album artists.

Also I’m suggesting that they could both fill in a slot that may be left by Kacey- who is nowhere near a charting artist here either.

Sure, Camila's didnt make the top 10, but Megans didn't even make the top 40...

If we are saying Megan isnt an album artist, well she doesnt really have any hits here either? Hot Girl Summer was didnt really impact here at all, and then she has had 2 relatively high profile collabs with Beyonce and Cardi - and thats about it. Doja's doing a bit better in that regard, but I think it's really disingenuous to try and frame them as on the same tier as Camilla who has sustained hits for the whole of her solo career + as part of fifth harmony.

Not saying they won't get there eventually, but they wont be mid pyramid in 2021....

This isnt the 00s. Label managers are more aware of the pull of Glastonbury.

I understand the argument that some artists are priced out of Glasto’s range but I do think the number of those artists is dwindling year after year.

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Don't really understand the argument you’re making here. But I just think Glastonbury might want to book two artists which were successful in 2020, especially if there is space on the lineup if Camila and Kacey aren’t coming back.

Are you saying there’s no demand for Camila or Kacey at the festival? Or no demand for Doja and Megan? You’d be wrong on both accounts. But that’s my view.

I did actually edit it just to make sure you knew I was referring to Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion, if you hadn't got that from the rest of my post, but not quickly enough I guess.

I'm not saying there is no demand at all but giving such high slots to either would be extraordinary. I think if you immerse yourself in a certain world then these artists who are big for a couple of months take over everything but in reality, Glastonbury is full of people who won't know or care who they are.

Just on the subject of Good News flopping, it didn't make top 40 here and I see that in America the likes of A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Jhene Aiko, NAV and Machine Gun Kelly had better first week sales with their 2020 albums than Megan Thee Stallion did.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I did actually edit it just to make sure you knew I was referring to Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion, if you hadn't got that from the rest of my post, but not quickly enough I guess.

I'm not saying there is no demand at all but giving such high slots to either would be extraordinary. I think if you immerse yourself in a certain world then these artists who are big for a couple of months take over everything but in reality, Glastonbury is full of people who won't know or care who they are.

Just on the subject of Good News flopping, it didn't make top 50 here and I see that in America the likes of A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Jhene Aiko, NAV and Machine Gun Kelly had better first week sales with their 2020 albums than Megan Thee Stallion did.

I’m literally suggesting that Meg/Doja could play like 4th/5th down pyramid lol, not sub or headline a stage. Those slots have gone to acts much less mainstream than them.

In defence of Megan’s poor chart placing, she did completely fuck up the release. Got announced a week early with seemingly little to no fanfare if you weren’t already invested and then just kind of came and went despite getting rave reviews (although even those seemed to come a bit later). Not sure what happened there but feel like almost surprise dropping your debut isn’t a great idea, although I’m sure she’ll fare better in America.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m literally suggesting that Meg/Doja could play like 4th/5th down pyramid lol, not sub or headline a stage. Those slots have gone to acts much less mainstream than them.

You’re assuming either one would essentially take the Friday daytime hip-hop slot but that slot has almost always gone to more established acts - not ones on first release hype. Neither have made enough of a mark in the U.K. to get that slot imo, and like dental said, both of their hit singles this year are probably the peak of their commercial standing this side of the pond for the foreseeable future. Doubt either one is gonna have a noticeable hit here again any time soon. 

17 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

In defence of Megan’s poor chart placing, she did completely fuck up the release. Got announced a week early with seemingly little to no fanfare if you weren’t already invested and then just kind of came and went despite getting rave reviews (although even those seemed to come a bit later). Not sure what happened there but feel like almost surprise dropping your debut isn’t a great idea, although I’m sure she’ll fare better in America.

Its going to debut # 2 and had to go up against BTS. Bad Bunny  just surprise dropped an album and its going to end up # 1 the following week already. Bigger question is if the BBC would air Megan’s set due to the material. 

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Bigger question is if the BBC would air Megan’s set due to the material. 

Yeah, hypothetically they’d just put it on post-watershed and child-lock it on iPlayer. Her lyrical content would probably affect Glastonbury’s decision of programming more than it would BBC’s.

Edited by dentalplan

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, hypothetically they’d just put it on post-watershed and child-lock it on iPlayer. Her lyrical content would probably affect Glastonbury’s decision of programming more than it would BBC’s.

Would she allow it to be broadcasted?

Rappers and hip hop artists can be notoriously tricky when it comes to their sets being broadcasted.

Be interesting to see if Kendrick allows his to be. IIRC he didn’t for Reading/Leeds a couple of years ago.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Be interesting to see if Kendrick allows his to be. IIRC he didn’t for Reading/Leeds a couple of years ago.

I’m sure he will, even if it’s just a small portion like is sometimes the case. When was the last time we got no footage of a Glastonbury headliner? I feel like these days it’s just part of the deal when you sign on the dotted line.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Rappers and hip hop artists can be notoriously tricky when it comes to their sets being broadcasted.

Be interesting to see if Kendrick allows his to be. IIRC he didn’t for Reading/Leeds a couple of years ago.

No idea. But that doesn’t affect whether acts get booked or not.

As for Kendrick, I think he didn’t allow any of his 2015 Reading set and then allowed like 10 mins of the 2018 headline set. Can’t say I’m too arsed what he does as I’ll be in the pit.

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Megan has played numerous events already and allowed it to be broadcast.

It seems to be only the very weird high up headliners that do this. Or artists that are oddly fussy in general.