Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah at this point he’s all but confirmed in my eyes. If Glastonbury were gonna announce anybody early, then him and/or Diana would be the easy bets. 

Yep agreed. 

Really curious to see if they do announce one or two acts, of if they wait until they can drop a poster with all the retained acts on it.  

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There’s a pretty big gulf in popularity between those two names and Camila Cabello.

In what way?

Doja and Megan are pretty popular but they seem to be accepting pretty modest slots at EU festivals. I think Doja is third / fourth down mainstage at R&L? I had a feeling that off her recent popularity she would ask for larger slots but if she’s willing to play middle of the day I reckon glasto could book her.

Same goes for Megan really. 

It would be good to get another contemporary hip hop/r&b artist on the pyramid leading up to Kendrick.

Edited by Matt42

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In what way?

Doja and Megan are pretty popular but they seem to be accepting pretty modest slots at EU festivals. I think Doja is third / fourth down mainstage at R&L? I had a feeling that off her recent popularity she would ask for larger slots but if she’s willing to play middle of the day I reckon glasto could book her.

Same goes for Megan really. 

It would be good to get another contemporary hip hop/r&b artist on the pyramid before Kendrick.

I think your world might just not be the same as that of the average Glastonbury punter if you're considering either to have hit in such a major way.

Camila Cabello has sustained success for a few years now and become one of the biggest pop stars out there - this Glastonbury slot was surrounded by arena dates. Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion have just come on the scene and I'm not sure either have their best days ahead of them at this point, considering Meg's album is already being labelled a flop and the way things have gone with her, Doja Cat will be a pretty outdated booking by the time R+L 2021 rolls around (which the festival obviously has form for).

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think your world might just not be the same as that of the average Glastonbury punter if you're considering either to have hit in such a major way.

Camila Cabello has sustained success for a few years now and become one of the biggest pop stars out there - this Glastonbury slot was surrounded by arena dates. Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion have just come on the scene and I'm not sure either have their best days ahead of them at this point, considering Meg's album is already being labelled a flop and the way things have gone with her, Doja Cat will be a pretty outdated booking by the time R+L 2021 rolls around (which the festival obviously has form for).

I think we’l just have to agree to disagree on this. They both have 2021 tour dates and are in the area. There are slots that they could both do.

Also not too sure about your Camila argument either. But we can agree to disagree.

By what degree is Megan’s album a flop? I get it didn’t chart well but Camila’s latest album didn’t make the top 10 here either. I don’t think Megan, Camila, or Doja are album artists.

Also I’m suggesting that they could both fill in a slot that may be left by Kacey- who is nowhere near a charting artist here either.

Edited by Matt42

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think we’l just have to agree to disagree on this. They both have 2021 tour dates and are in the area. There are slots that they could both do.

Also not too sure about your Camila argument either. But we can agree to disagree.

By what degree is Megan’s album a flop? I get it didn’t chart well but Camila’s latest album didn’t make the top 10 here either. I don’t think Megan, Camila, or Doja are album artists.

Also I’m suggesting that they could both fill in a slot that may be left by Kacey- who is nowhere near a charting artist here either.

Good point. Cabello's album flopped too, but she had everything plotted ahead of that.

Anyway, you quite clearly never mentioned Kacey Musgraves but she played Wembley Arena and other well-sized venues off the back of that album, before taking the main Grammy home. No comparison there either.

Many of us were predicting Cabello and Musgraves for mid-Pyramid or high-Other but I really think you'll be the only one shouting that for those Megan Thee Stallion and Doja Cat in 2021.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Many of us were predicting Cabello and Musgraves for mid-Pyramid or high-Other but I really think you'll be the only one shouting that for those two artists in 2021.

Don't really understand the argument you’re making here. But I just think Glastonbury might want to book two artists which were successful in 2020, especially if there is space on the lineup if Camila and Kacey aren’t coming back.

Are you saying there’s no demand for Camila or Kacey at the festival? Or no demand for Doja and Megan? You’d be wrong on both accounts. But that’s my view.

Megan and Doja both strike me as acts who would charge too much for the slot Glastonbury would offer them. Up and coming hip hop acts like them always seem to get big fast (and moreso in the US) and immediately demand higher slots, and whilst festivals like Longitude and Wireless can afford it because it’s their base, I doubt Glastonbury would feel the need to do the same.