Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does make you wonder if we’ll see another jump in prices when gigs start up properly again. A mixture of acts desperate to make up for earnings lost in the last year and knowing that fans will be desperate to get back to gigs again... 

Wouldn't pin it on the acts. I would think artists will come back to earn less than before, as promoters and venues desperately need more money and are mostly better placed to claim it.

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Next thing I’ve got is Fontaines DC in April/May. Not massively confident myself.

Utter shite isn't it.

Why didn't you see Elton in the end - was that when he was ill on that flight back from S.America?

I saw him in 2017 (I think) for the first time at LG Arena...if that's what it was called then.

10 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Utter shite isn't it.

Why didn't you see Elton in the end - was that when he was ill on that flight back from S.America?

I saw him in 2017 (I think) for the first time at LG Arena...if that's what it was called then.

He put the tickets for 2020 on sale two years in advance, now it’s been pushed back a year. It’ll be at least three years between me buying the tickets and the gig actually taking place when it happens.

12 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Utter shite isn't it.

I saw him about five years ago in one of the most random venues imaginable... The Bescott Stadium, Walsall.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

He put the tickets for 2020 on sale two years in advance, now it’s been pushed back a year. It’ll be at least three years between me buying the tickets and the gig actually taking place when it happens.

Ah right of course. Timeframes of years and events in my head are all over the shop. Fingers crossed for 2021.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I saw him about five years ago in one of the most random venues imaginable... The Bescott Stadium, Walsall.

Hahaha, unbelievable - he does that sometimes, he played at some weird venues in East Midlands too if I recall correctly.

Literally doesn't get weirder than the Bescott though. Mind you, bet he got some lovely trainers from the market...

8 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Hahaha, unbelievable - he does that sometimes, he played at some weird venues in East Midlands too if I recall correctly.

Literally doesn't get weirder than the Bescott though. Mind you, bet he got some lovely trainers from the market...

He does have a thing for playing random football grounds. I know in the past he’s done Charlton, Oxford, Ipswich, Airdrie, Tranmere just to name a few.

Maybe he’s trying to cross off all 92.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He does have a thing for playing random football grounds. I know in the past he’s done Charlton, Oxford, Ipswich, Airdrie, Tranmere just to name a few.

Maybe he’s trying to cross off all 92.

He was the first act to ever play at Home Park in Plymouth. That was a great gig.

11 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Doubt it. Youre not forseeing the over saturation of the  market once things go full whack. Everyone will just have too many choices and pricing will be favorable for that reason. Acts will take the money thats there and shouldnt be thinking they have to gouge anyone at all. they should understand the hunger for gigs and theyll just have to book more gigs to meet demand. If you even consider doubling ticket prices then patrons will find somebody else to go watch and call you out on your greed. Agents will be competing against each other and dont want to be on the short end because they demanded too high a fee for their talent.

It depends who we are talking about, at the end of the day you go to a gig to see that specific band rather than any band.

I can see smaller acts who play the clubs and pubs might be desperate to play but they already earn shit money so I can't see a paycut with them and the top guys like Pearl Jam or Elton John will carry on like normal. If there is a price bump I see it being the Academy and an oversea acts.

Tbh with how little musicians get from selling their songs nowadays I don't think it's a huge issue if they charge an extra tenner on tixs to make up for lost earning. People didn't give a shit about the campaign against the likes of Spotify from a few months ago so think of it as a way of paying for all the free music you're listening to.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah we’re in the same boat, got to be some sort of record for time between purchasing the ticket and the gig actually happening. 

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does make you wonder if we’ll see another jump in prices when gigs start up properly again. A mixture of acts desperate to make up for earnings lost in the last year and knowing that fans will be desperate to get back to gigs again... 

Personally I'd be willing to pay more on the caveat that it went to venues and artists as the primary beneficiaries.  Most of the gigs I go to are >£20 so a bit on top wouldn't kill me, but I'm not everyone. I'm sure there are plenty going to smaller gigs because that's their price range, and increases would price them out.

Be interesting to see how they approach it.  Maybe no change to prices but options for donations as part of the merch stands, or optional venue donations when buying tickets?

Edited by Quark

20 hours ago, Quark said:

Personally I'd be willing to pay more on the caveat that it went to venues and artists as the primary beneficiaries.  Most of the gigs I go to are >£20 so a bit on top wouldn't kill me, but I'm not everyone. I'm sure there are plenty going to smaller gigs because that's their price range, and increases would price them out.

Be interesting to see how they approach it.  Maybe no change to prices but options for donations as part of the merch stands, or optional venue donations when buying tickets?

I think the venues might need this extra money?

20 hours ago, Quark said:

I’d expect prices to go up purely for the promoter and, to a lesser extent, the venue - who will accept but can’t rely on optional donations.

Artists, on the other hand, have already been told that their future fees will be smaller. As you say, the merch stand (more so sales than optional donations) is going to be increasingly important as a revenue stream.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’d expect prices to go up purely for the promoter and, to a lesser extent, the venue - who will accept but can’t rely on optional donations.

Artists, on the other hand, have already been told that their future fees will be smaller. As you say, the merch stand (more so sales than optional donations) is going to be increasingly important as a revenue stream.

Best clear out some more t-shirt space

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Looking forward to the conversation with Mrs J:

”Did you buy another t-shirt?”

”No, I was merely doing my bit to support a faltering industry...”

”By buying a t-shirt?”

”Yeah.”

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Looking forward to the conversation with Mrs J:

”Did you buy another t-shirt?”

”No, I was merely doing my bit to support a faltering industry...”

”By buying a t-shirt?”

”Yeah.”

It's not a t-shirt, it's a solidarity flag.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:43 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Next thing I’ve got is Fontaines DC in April/May. Not massively confident myself.

Similar time frame. I've got Biffy Clyro on their "Fingers Crossed" tour. If Liverpool was in Tier 3 for the rumoured six months, that would be the 'end' date. 🙄

The I've got a run of eight gigs in 8 weeks, non of which I'm confident about: Fontaines DC, Rhythm of the 90s, IDLES... I've already seen some of next year's gigs rearranged too.

Edited by vintagelaureate

I've just updated the line-up & rumours page, on the basis of Ben Challis (glasto 'lawyer' [don't think he's actually a lawyer]) having said the acts from 2020 are re-invited.

If an act has announced dates for around June 2021 they've been updated to be a TBC.

If you know of anything i've missed please let me know.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2021/lineup.shtml

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've just updated the line-up & rumours page, on the basis of Ben Challis (glasto 'lawyer' [don't think he's actually a lawyer]) having said the acts from 2020 are re-invited.

If an act has announced dates for around June 2021 they've been updated to be a TBC.

If you know of anything i've missed please let me know.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2021/lineup.shtml

Thom Yorke's touring the UK around Glastonbury so he's presumably booked again. Kano, Mabel and Charli XCX are playing Primavera Sound, Angel Olsen and La Roux are playing NOS Alive, Glass Animals and London Grammar are playing Mad Cool and Anderson. Paak is playing Open'er.