Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Why would they play BST when they pay loads?, I wonder?

Why mention Download for?, never ever been on their list.

It doesn’t pay as much as the return from a stadium show. Acts make much more money selling 70,000 tickets on their own than being booked for BST.That’s why the big sellers like Coldplay, Adele and Sheeran aren’t going to be found at BST and many acts who do BST aren’t up to stadiums.

And yes, Foos are on Download’s list - they’re wanted by them and have played the French one. There are so few festivals for them to play here now that Download comes into the picture and so does repeat a performance at Glastonbury.

11 hours ago, priest17 said:

They signed up to play Glastonbury twice in 3 years so...

Only to account for that one time though.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It doesn’t pay as much as the return from a stadium show. Acts make much more money selling 70,000 tickets on their own than being booked for BST.That’s why the big sellers like Coldplay, Adele and Sheeran aren’t going to be found at BST and many acts who do BST aren’t up to stadiums.

And yes, Foos are on Download’s list - they’re wanted by them and have played the French one. There are so few festivals for them to play here now that Download comes into the picture and so does repeat a performance at Glastonbury.

The point still stands, why do Glastonbury more than once when they can do the others. They aren't a band that need propelling and tbh I felt as much as it was a good show that Dave was there to tick it off.

Foo's might be on Downloads list but I meant the other way round.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

The point still stands, why do Glastonbury more than once when they can do the others. They aren't a band that need propelling and tbh I felt as much as it was a good show that Dave was there to tick it off.

Foo's might be on Downloads list but I meant the other way round.

Well if they don't want to play Download as you say, then there's only R+L that would take them out of the picture, as they can do stadiums or TRNSMT the same year as Glastonbury. 

Really don't see Dave Grohl as a 'tick it off the list' kind of guy for anything, but particularly not Glastonbury. He spoke a lot about it before, during and after the performance saying how much he loves the place and all that.

Obviously it took Foos about 15 years as a headline act to get around to headlining the Pyramid but there used to be better offers from IOW and V and TITP, and they used to be more concerned about sales. Now they can just do it whenever they're not doing R+L.

Surely Foos are considered a legacy act by now? The fact it took them so long to do it says to me they're probably one and done. How many acts in recent history have headlined the festival for the first time after 8 albums and 20 years of being active and then returned again? McCartney being the exception of course as a bloody living legend and for the 50th anniversary, and The Who were a last minute replacement in 2015 by all accounts. I can't see them needing to return again, not in a headliner slot anyway, perhaps a secret set maybe. The set list would for the most part be exactly the same. If they were booked again it would be extremely unimaginative, at least Muse and Coldplay get a pass on that front as 'friends of the festival/house band' and have a history with Glastonbury. 

8 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Surely Foos are considered a legacy act by now? The fact it took them so long to do it says to me they're probably one and done. How many acts in recent history have headlined the festival for the first time after 8 albums and 20 years of being active and then returned again? McCartney being the exception of course as a bloody living legend and for the 50th anniversary, and The Who were a last minute replacement in 2015 by all accounts. I can't see them needing to return again, not in a headliner slot anyway, perhaps a secret set maybe. The set list would for the most part be exactly the same. If they were booked again it would be extremely unimaginative, at least Muse and Coldplay get a pass on that front as 'friends of the festival/house band' and have a history with Glastonbury. 

It’s the same basic setlist every year at the stadium tours/Reading/etc, yet people still lap it up. They’re one of the most consistently popular touring acts of the last decade, if they still are in five/six years’ time then they’d have to be considered again.

9 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Yeah they’re a legacy act but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t play again. All it means is people don’t care about new songs. Same is the case for most Glastonbury headliners.

The thing with acts like The Who, Stones, U2, Springsteen etc. is that they’re not really festival acts, so it’s easy to argue that they’re less likely to do it again, having gone out of their way once. Foos are a perennial festival headliner, and I’ve mentioned already why it might have taken so long for the first headline set but why it shouldn’t be as long before the next.

I low-key think they were down for a surprise set for 2020 as their dates were a bit suspicious. Sounds like they were in the area and for no real reason.

Grohl loved headlining Glastonbury so I feel like they will play anywhere and anytime. They will headline again at some point.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I low-key think they were down for a surprise set for 2020 as their dates were a bit suspicious. Sounds like they were in the area and for no real reason.

Grohl loved headlining Glastonbury so I feel like they will play anywhere and anytime. They will headline again at some point.

It’s possible, but the Foos are over here most summers so I’m not sure how relevant that is.

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s possible, but the Foos are over here most summers so I’m not sure how relevant that is.

Well they had no U.K. dates lined up and a string of EU dates around Glastonbury. That argument would stand if they had a gig here. It looked like Glastonbury was the ‘gig’.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well they had no U.K. dates lined up and a string of EU dates around Glastonbury. That argument would stand if they had a gig here. It looked like Glastonbury was the ‘gig’.

It's possible, but unlikely all the same. Looks more like they were/are doing a quick tour to pick up a few cheques in a short timeframe and geographical area, both of which Glastonbury lies outside of practically. I think it's more likely they just weren't doing the UK after doing so much UK on the album already.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’d be just as likely to pop up randomly at some London club night as they would be at Glastonbury. Them being over in Europe in June means little to me in terms of GF.

Scenes when Foo Fighters turn up to headline Basing House.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, dentalplan said:

It's possible, but unlikely all the same. Looks more like they were/are doing a quick tour to pick up a few cheques in a short timeframe and geographical area, both of which Glastonbury lies outside of practically. I think it's more likely they just weren't doing the UK after doing so much UK on the album already.

22 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’d be just as likely to pop up randomly at some London club night as they would be at Glastonbury. Them being over in Europe in June means little to me in terms of GF.

I guess we will never know but they were a suspicious band to be hanging round in the area during the 50th. In terms of huge bands willing to do a Killers style set they seem like a good option for me.

in a year where Glasto seemingly got Aerosmith to make their debut in a secret set, don’t think it can be ruled out.

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I guess we will never know but they were a suspicious band to be hanging round in the area during the 50th. In terms of huge bands willing to do a Killers style set they seem like a good option for me.

in a year where Glasto seemingly got Aerosmith to make their debut in a secret set, don’t think it can be ruled out.

Not ruling out. Just saying that 'hanging around' is an overstatement, when the band were doing six shows between bordering countries in Europe over a short timeframe, June 10-21, so them playing Glastonbury on the 26th isn't a strong likelihood.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does make you wonder if we’ll see another jump in prices when gigs start up properly again. A mixture of acts desperate to make up for earnings lost in the last year and knowing that fans will be desperate to get back to gigs again... 

Doubt it. Youre not forseeing the over saturation of the  market once things go full whack. Everyone will just have too many choices and pricing will be favorable for that reason. Acts will take the money thats there and shouldnt be thinking they have to gouge anyone at all. they should understand the hunger for gigs and theyll just have to book more gigs to meet demand. If you even consider doubling ticket prices then patrons will find somebody else to go watch and call you out on your greed. Agents will be competing against each other and dont want to be on the short end because they demanded too high a fee for their talent.

Edited by Suprefan