Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I hate to trivialise it guys but noones heard of the war on drugs 

I mean, the same people who haven’t heard of The War on Drugs also haven’t heard of The National. 

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah but these artists are/were way bigger than TWOD?

The War on Drugs now/in 2021 are bigger than Beck was in 2016.

10 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I mean, the same people who haven’t heard of The War on Drugs also haven’t heard of The National. 

The War on Drugs now/in 2021 are bigger than Beck was in 2016.

Fact is, we dont really know how big they are now. They went up the line-ups and into arenas due to a speculative bubble around an album that later transpired to be deeply average.  I reckon a lot of people have moved on.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fact is, we dont really know how big they are now. They went up the line-ups and into arenas due to a speculative bubble around an album that later transpired to be deeply average.  I reckon a lot of people have moved on.

TWOD = Lehman Brothers 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

You might be right, but for the lack of much else like them in the music scene these days (that’s been a success, anyway) I think they’ll come back swinging - there’s a big gap in the market for big arena rock acts right now. 

But they could easily fuck that up if the singles and then album aren’t up to snuff. Need more Red Eyes/Under the Pressures/all out bangers and less of the ballads that populated too much of the last one. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Massively underplaying A Deeper Understanding here. It got plenty of critical acclaim, it sold well; the main bone critics had to pick was that it didn’t do a lot different to their breakthrough album before, but it didn’t seem to dissuade folk from coming to see them.

Their European arena tour was late-2018 on a summer 2017 release so it can’t really have been speculative. Following sub positions at big European festivals, I don’t think it’s a sign of them dropping off.

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Massively underplaying A Deeper Understanding here. It got plenty of critical acclaim, it sold well; the main bone critics had to pick was that it didn’t do a lot different to their breakthrough album before, but it didn’t seem to dissuade folk from coming to see them.

A Deeper Understanding, the album we all love to recall and are still rinsing in Spotify.

18 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Thank you this puts it in a great way.

I’m really not a fan of shoving bands into slots where the crowd will be working against them. If you’re going to book the National give them an other headline. If you’re going to book Vampire Weekend don’t slot them after two massive crowd acts (Kylie and Miley).

It turns the pyramid sub position into a “grab a pint and take a piss before the headliner” kinda slot. 

This is why I think the pyramid sub should have some sort of resemblance to the headliner. I know that they like to keep crowds moving but I think it just kills the vibe sometimes.

Yeah. I once saw Soundgarden sub Sabbath and it was one of the most fantastic pieces of scheduling ever. The sub should be someone tossing the tennis ball in the air, for the headliner to ace the shit out of it. 

War on Drugs subbing the National would make a little bit of wee come out for me. If want it on the Pyramid, but that's because I hate the Other Stage. Not expecting it to happen, like.  

46 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It just wasn't deeply average though. It was a cracking album. 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A Deeper Understanding, the album we all love to recall and are still rinsing in Spotify.

I still am for sure. Great record. Just because it’s not their breakthrough album doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant.