Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

20 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

By the logic that TWOD are big enough to sub the Pyramid as played the O2 on their last tour I am very much looking forward to last year's Other subs Two Door Cinema Club subbing the Pyramid next time they're around! 

It’s not ‘logic’. Predicting slots is clearly not that easy or else we’d have much fewer posts. It was more that they’re clearly bigger than some are giving credit for if they’re playing the O2 Arena.

Some subs wouldn’t even play O2 Arena for a start.

3 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think there's a very fan-goggled reading of TWOD's size to compare them to Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala and Beck (who have had actual crossover hits and post sales in the millions) or The National (who've had a sustained run of getting bigger album by album and were on for an R.E.M. style leap to the big leagues, though they've failed to stick the landing so far)

Crucially, The National and Tame Impala made the leap when momentum was behind them. TWOD had one big breakthrough album that will be eight years old when 2021 rolls around, and the follow-up kept the embers glowing but didn't have the same impact. Indie acts that sub the Other tend to have racked up Radio 1 plays (Two Door, Jamie T, Courteneers, Chvrches) and TWOD don't even have that.

They're more along the lines of Father John Misty, Mac DeMarco, Phoenix, Sigur Rós, Fleet Foxes or even Belle & Sebastian / The Charlatans style heritage indie rock – top 2 JP or top 3/4 Other.

Again, I'm a fan. But subbing the Pyramid is silly talk.

Thank you this puts it in a great way.

I’m really not a fan of shoving bands into slots where the crowd will be working against them. If you’re going to book the National give them an other headline. If you’re going to book Vampire Weekend don’t slot them after two massive crowd acts (Kylie and Miley).

It turns the pyramid sub position into a “grab a pint and take a piss before the headliner” kinda slot. 

This is why I think the pyramid sub should have some sort of resemblance to the headliner. I know that they like to keep crowds moving but I think it just kills the vibe sometimes.

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah hypothetical slot guessing aside, this encouraged me to go back to Lost In The Dream after a couple years away. Woof. What an album.

Would love to see them on the farm, wherever they may roam.

Great album for this weather. Full of great songs and perfect moments. When Under the Pressure kicks in and the first guitar solo in An Ocean Between the Waves in particular are brilliant.

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah hypothetical slot guessing aside, this encouraged me to go back to Lost In The Dream after a couple years away. Woof. What an album.

Would love to see them on the farm, wherever they may roam.

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Great album for this weather. Full of great songs and perfect moments. When Under the Pressure kicks in and the first guitar solo in An Ocean Between the Waves in particular are brilliant.

There’s certain albums that get a repeat airing come Summertime and this is one of them. 

Kinda related but the latest one from Tame Impala sounds better in this weather.

34 minutes ago, nikkic said:

There’s certain albums that get a repeat airing come Summertime and this is one of them. 

Kinda related but the latest one from Tame Impala sounds better in this weather.

I’ve had that record on today as well and it sounds great. Underrated record imo.

43 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

God I love Under the Pressure. Still play that on a regular basis. 

38 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Definitely an album that would’ve benefited from a summer release. It still doesn’t do too much for me as a whole, but goo music for garden drinks and such. 

7 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think there's a very fan-goggled reading of TWOD's size to compare them to Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala and Beck (who have had actual crossover hits and post sales in the millions) or The National (who've had a sustained run of getting bigger album by album and were on for an R.E.M. style leap to the big leagues, though they've failed to stick the landing so far)

Crucially, The National and Tame Impala made the leap when momentum was behind them. TWOD had one big breakthrough album that will be eight years old when 2021 rolls around, and the follow-up kept the embers glowing but didn't have the same impact. Indie acts that sub the Other tend to have racked up Radio 1 plays (Two Door, Jamie T, Courteneers, Chvrches) and TWOD don't even have that.

They're more along the lines of Father John Misty, Mac DeMarco, Phoenix, Sigur Rós, Fleet Foxes or even Belle & Sebastian / The Charlatans style heritage indie rock – top 2 JP or top 3/4 Other.

Again, I'm a fan. But subbing the Pyramid is silly talk.

But the metrics they are being compared on - venue sizes, festival placings, album sales - are facts. How can people read those through 'fan goggles'?

I wouldn't bet on them in any year and would perhaps be more expectant of an Other sub slot but if the festival was looking to put some kind of acclaimed indie act in the sub position like they did with your pals The National, Vampire Weekend and Beck then they've got a good shot. They'll be playing big slots around Europe next summer so it doesn't seem a stretch. So pack it in talking down to peeps like they're idiots.

Think people are forgetting that despite the last album not quite being up to the standard of the one before, it still charted at #3 on the charts, had them playing high on festival lineups worldwide, in much bigger venues, and took them to the upper echelon of the indie pantheon. They’ve been away for a couple of years so it’s easy to remember them as some small time act, but they’ll be popping up in sizeable slots wherever they play next year, and Pyramid sub isn’t nearly as silly as others are saying with another successful album under their belt.

Edited by FloorFiller

31 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Hm, that’s a surprising descent of the red mist. Has someone mentioned Aerosmith to you today?

Ehh I still don’t get why you thought anything of that Aerosmith debate. But here I just didn’t like the belittling dismissal of rationale based on people being fans is all. As said in all of the post that you didn’t quote, it’s not people being ‘silly’, there is a clear connection

The second post was an exaggeration for humorous effect, at your expense yes, but I maybe misguidedly thought you’d take it in good humour.

In the cases of Vampire Weekend, The National, Beck and Tame Impala, I don’t think any were roundly expected to sub before they did so it makes sense that there will be pushback at the thought of The War on Drugs subbing now.

They’re not gonna headline the Other what with not being much of a party act but, if they don’t fit for Pyramid sub next year, I won’t grumble about them being Other sub/Pyramid third.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

In the cases of Vampire Weekend, The National, Beck and Tame Impala, I don’t think any were roundly expected to sub before they did so it makes sense that there will be pushback at the thought of The War on Drugs subbing now.

Aye, Vampire Weekend third with a mystery sub on after them. The National headlining Other. Beck subbing Other or even headlining West Holts. Tame Impala third. Very few if any were expecting them to sub until they were announced.