Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I listen to them but I haven’t thought about them that way at all. Do they tend to play big slots like that at other festivals?

I was thinking more a sunset slot on the other stage or JP sub / headline. 

I think they could be put in various different slots. I don’t think they are that competitive of a booking so I can’t see them demanding a gigantic slot.

Also if Vampire Weekend got a pretty thin crowd subbing the pyramid I can’t imagine how quiet the War on Drugs would be?

I don’t think they’re a certainty for Pyramid sub and agree they could easily sub Other instead (too big for JP headliner or sub though) but they’re certainly a popular act when they’re on an album/tour cycle and could easily headline something like APE.

If the festival has lost two (possibly even three) of its Pyramid subs then a band like them being newly on the festival scene seems like a pretty easy solution to me, even if they’re not the biggest sub the festival has had.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think they’re a certainty for Pyramid sub and agree they could easily sub Other instead (too big for JP headliner or sub though) but they’re certainly a popular act when they’re on an album/tour cycle and could easily headline something like APE.

If the festival has lost two (possibly even three) of its Pyramid subs then a band like them being newly on the festival scene seems like a pretty easy solution to me, even if they’re not the biggest sub the festival has had.

Didn’t they already headline that or am I making things up?

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Are they too big for JP sub / headline? Sigur Ros headlining the JP one year who are way bigger.

The National, Tame Impala, Beck, Nick Cave etc are all artists that APE / Primavera type events are running to snap up and give high slots. Glastonbury gives these acts big slots because otherwise these bands will just not play.

I can’t see the War on Drugs turning down an offer, and I don’t think they have the competitive might for the festival to give them that kind of leg up. They aren’t even subbing Nos Alive so I don’t know why they would sub Glastonbury. Sounds like a bit of fan goggles to me.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Are they too big for JP sub / headline? Sigur Ros headlining the JP one year who are way bigger.

The National, Tame Impala, Beck, Nick Cave etc are all artists that APE / Primavera type events are running to snap up and give high slots. Glastonbury gives these acts big slots because otherwise these bands will just not play.

I can’t see the War on Drugs turning down an offer, and I don’t think they have the competitive might for the festival to give them that kind of leg up. They aren’t even subbing Nos Alive so I don’t know why they would sub Glastonbury. Sounds like a bit of fan goggles to me.

Sigur Ros were doing their intimate stripped back shows and also playing smaller venues than they usually would that year, and by all accounts were a big JP headliner hence the months of nobody being able to figure out where they slotted in on the lineup. Not a fair comparison.

Your idea of how festivals are run seems rather eschewed, and the fact is it’s looking pretty likely that Glastonbury has a big gaping hole on the second run of its main stage that needs filling. TWOD are one of few big bands who are new on the festival scene next year, will be hot shit when a new album is coming/released, and could comfortably fill the ‘smaller sub’ void if needs be. I’m not saying it’s gonna happen, but they’re the first newly announced act I’ve seen that fit the criteria. I think you’re just forgetting how much of a big band on the rise they were a couple of years ago.

Either way, I just hope they’re booked. Need me some big Springsteen-like rock washing over me at Glastonbury.

Emily and family were stood in front of us for TWOD in 2014. We didn't bother them obviously as I can't imagine they get much time to just enjoy themselves. 

I'd happily have them sub; I think they're marginally smaller than The National. Once saw them at a tiny pub in Sheffield (The Harley) and was at their O2 show as well. Always nice to see an act go through the various venue sizes 🙂

On 8/5/2020 at 6:06 PM, Andy0808 v5 said:

Aware of them being a different beast these days. But, that Reading show... I genuinely left and wished that I had seen Marina and the diamonds instead. That’s how bad it was.

P.S no hate towards Marina (maybe a little hate)

haha i went to Marina instead - it was raining and she was in fest republic. Loads better and drier. 

34 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Hasn't their stock fallen a bit recently?

I'd be surprised if they're big enough to sub Pyramid.

Their last show here was O2 Arena, and I think they sold out standing and maybe the first tier of seating there. I was looking late on and couldn’t find a ticket anyway. Their next tour will be most or all arenas.

Anyway, I think they would sub Other or sub Pyramid at a National-ish push. They’re really not too far behind the likes of The National and play bigger venues than (albeit aren’t as recognisable as) Beck.

Play big slots at other festivals - huge slots at European ones (coheadlined or subbed Pukkelpop a couple of years back) Also do we know they’re not high up at NOS Alive? They were announced as ‘the big new addition’ in an announcement that also featured Haim.

Edited by dentalplan

Aye, also very excited and all being well they should be at G with a decent slot. I'd love to see both TWOD and HAIM as Pyramid subs, honestly. That would nearly be an upgrade on Noel and Lana for me. TWOD >>> Noel, Lana > HAIM (but only just!)

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Its a great album.....but mibbe kinda subtle for such a big stage. It's not really a bangerfest.

Agreed, but there's a couple of tracks on there (I'm thinking in particular of The Steps and Gasoline) which should sound great live. Add to that the 'bonus tracks' plus a healthy smattering of songs from the banger-full debut and I think it'll be a great hour or so