Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

I’d bloody love GnR to headline. They’re as good live as they have been since the 90s at this point and they’d put on a helluva set. Slash has obviously played, so perhaps they’re on the radar more thank we think, but I’d still class it as highly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I’d bloody love GnR to headline. They’re as good live as they have been since the 90s at this point and they’d put on a helluva set. Slash has obviously played, so perhaps they’re on the radar more thank we think, but I’d still class it as highly unlikely.

I don’t see it ever happening. I don’t think the festival really care much about making it happen/paying through the nose for them, and I doubt the band are so bothered that they’re willing to reduce their massive fees. Seems like a no starter to me. If they play a U.K. festival any time soon then Reading/Leeds is where I’d expect them to turn up.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t see it ever happening. I don’t think the festival really care much about making it happen/paying through the nose for them, and I doubt the band are so bothered that they’re willing to reduce their massive fees. Seems like a no starter to me. If they play a U.K. festival any time soon then Reading/Leeds is where I’d expect them to turn up.

Yup. Also as soon as an act like that gor many play Glastonbury they've seen them and the ticket fee separate I don't see as much interest in especially now they've done done before and Download.

8 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Lost all desire to watch GNR after their Reading 2010 disaster headline. 

Their Leeds set that year was god awful but Slash's Glastonbury set the same year was one of my favourites so I'm willing to give it another go.

28 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Their Leeds set that year was god awful but Slash's Glastonbury set the same year was one of my favourites so I'm willing to give it another go.

Yeah, given its a different lineup to Reading '10 and with Slash being as great as he is I'd be up for it. Was very tempted by the London date initially so might just try and get on that! 

52 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Lost all desire to watch GNR after their Reading 2010 disaster headline. 

They’re a totally different band now. Don’t judge them from a 2010 set. I was as skeptical as anyone, but since their proper return at Coachella they’re a completely different proposition.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Aye that's the rub. Glastonbury will pay for the likes of the Stones or the Mac because they're on their wishlist. I just don't see GNR being on that list (certainly not high enough for them to push the boat out financially for them).

Even with the Stones, Glasto can’t have paid the band’s regular fee even if it was supposedly a massive jump from the regular Glasto fee. It’s not so much about exposure - as someone like the Stones or Adele doesn’t need it -  but the act has to see it as an event worth crossing off the list.

Would Guns? Doubt it.

Taylor Swift
Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
The Rolling Stones
Adele
Ed Sheeran

Are all highly expensive acts which have agreed to do Glastonbury. The reason they’ve done it is either because Glasto tried really hard to get them or they approached Glasto and were willing to do it for a lower than usual fee.

All of these acts are too expensive for Glastonbury but there would have been something which tipped it over the edge. Either Glasto really pitching the ethos of the festival well, the act themselves being very much aware of the importance of Glastonbury etc etc. 

I’m not convinced that

- Eavis will see GnR as this type of act

or

- GnR will be knocking on the door of Glastonbury to play.

Although... I would have said the same about Aerosmith. 

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’ve booked Aerosmith and Guns N Roses. They are the acts Download shouldn’t be booking at this point.

My point is a bit rubbish but I think two classic download acts and a curveball should be what download books to keep exciting. But no... def lep and kiss again 

40 minutes ago, assorted said:

What if the hole is there (now both years) because one or two of them are planned surprise guests with McCartney?

No-one's putting a pre-planned gap in a tour in place so a couple of band members can show up to sing a song with Paul McCartney, at a festival they're not playing at, for no financial gain.

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

No-one's putting a pre-planned gap in a tour in place so a couple of band members can show up to sing a song with Paul McCartney, at a festival they're not playing at, for no financial gain.

So you're saying GnR were booked for Shangri-la? 

Just now, Suprefan said:

But is Glasto willing to give GnR 3 hours of set time? Cause thats their average since their return save for the 4 hour marathon they did in LA 2 years ago. 

I dunno, they’ve given acts the set length they want before. Radiohead, Foos and The Cure as recent examples. Macca would be getting as long as he wants as well. The money will be the bigger issue.

Well my thing is have they had anyone go on before 9pm. Radiohead did their normal 2 hours and change so that wasnt a big stretch btw since they went on at 9:30. ( just saying )

oh yeah, what if GnR are booked for BST over glasto weekend and it’s going to be a while before they announce that?

Edited by Suprefan

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

But is Glasto willing to give GnR 3 hours of set time? Cause thats their average since their return save for the 4 hour marathon they did in LA 2 years ago. 

Think that'd be much less of an issue than you think. The festival has had no problem scheduling headline sets for 2:30 before (and Springsteen smashing past curfew took him over 3 hours).

If GnR are excited/desperate enough to play that they're prepared to accept about 10% of their normal fee, then wanting to play an extra 30/60 minutes isn't going to be a deal breaker on either side.