Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

51 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

There is still the outside chance of Fleetwood Mac , he did say he they still need to play Glasto, maybe they can finally sort the money issue out and get on with just playing music for their fans 

Won’t be next year what with Neil Finn touring Crowded House

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah. I'd be down with Billie if the entire top tier comes a cropper. Don't think she'd just phone it in.

Not sure about that. Wasn’t Billie Eilish last year notoriously the first person to do an entire Glastonbury performance whilst sound asleep?

I’m not buying Billie being a potential backup headliner one bit. Maybe new material will change my mind, but I just don’t see Glastonbury going for it and think there would be several other phone calls made before it came to her, and that’s including if she was already booked as the TBA Sunday sub. 

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not sure about that. Wasn’t Billie Eilish last year notoriously the first person to do an entire Glastonbury performance whilst sound asleep?

Difficult to say. The footage of the gig is good.

But it clashed with Miley Cyrus laying down one of the all time WTF performances. So who's to say.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think the consensus from people here who saw her was that she was present.

It was ok.  I watched a fair bit of Miley (who was great) and then left to go and video Bad Guy for my daughter! Stayed maybe 5 songs and like I say it was ok, but I felt my time was better spent elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

It was ok.  I watched a fair bit of Miley (who was great) and then left to go and video Bad Guy for my daughter! Stayed maybe 5 songs and like I say it was ok, but I felt my time was better spent elsewhere. 

Yeah, we watched most of Miley and then went round to see the end of Billie. I'd agree with what you said; there were alot of people into though.

44 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think the consensus from people here who saw her was that she was present.

Went along, mainly because of the hype, and struggled to get into it. Left halfway through for Vampire Weekend, who were excellent.

My main memory of it is how tough it was getting out of the other field compared to getting in - lot of late arrivals.

I really dont think Glasto would get on the Billie train until a second album is properly out. She still has to actually do the tour she had set forth anyway. Silver lining in that she can actually switch off all the media madness and write another album in relative peace though right now. 

Arguing that Getting the bond theme was like a major milestone is hilarious. The studio saw the chance to just get whoever was making headlines and it happened to be a 17 year old. Same with Sam Smith who had no business doing it and yet he snaked his way into an academy award win. 

Theyve still have not gotten to the point of having a trio of all young/modern headliners, and I dont think thats going to change for a few more years either.  When it ends up being Sheeran/Billie/Ariana at the top in 2025, is the festival dead in the water? As long as there is still a handful of wishlist legacy artists they want, theyll be checking those off the list for a while.

If for some reason Macca is out, give us Oasis. Fairest trade off possible. If its Taylor or Kendrick, make it Gaga.

12 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I really dont think Glasto would get on the Billie train until a second album is properly out. She still has to actually do the tour she had set forth anyway. Silver lining in that she can actually switch off all the media madness and write another album in relative peace though right now. 

Arguing that Getting the bond theme was like a major milestone is hilarious. The studio saw the chance to just get whoever was making headlines and it happened to be a 17 year old. Same with Sam Smith who had no business doing it and yet he snaked his way into an academy award win. 

Theyve still have not gotten to the point of having a trio of all young/modern headliners, and I dont think thats going to change for a few more years either.  When it ends up being Sheeran/Billie/Ariana at the top in 2025, is the festival dead in the water? As long as there is still a handful of wishlist legacy artists they want, theyll be checking those off the list for a while.

If for some reason Macca is out, give us Oasis. Fairest trade off possible. If its Taylor or Kendrick, make it Gaga.

I'm not sure that's going to be the reality. If we lose any headliners, they're most likely going to replaced with acts who were already touring in 2020. Let alone a huge reunion like Oasis coming in to a heavily crowded and backed up touring scene. We're going to be looking at small pool of potential replacements - you can see that by what's been announced at other festivals so far. 

Billie, if she reschedules, will already be on the scene and playing festivals around Glastonbury. And she's one of the hottest stars out there. I find it incredibly difficult to see her not being an option if things fall through. 

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Gaga is the only acceptable super sub

This.

I would be devastated if Taylor dropped out, but Gaga replacing her would be the only equivalent option.  Billie is not even close to being in the same league - I get that she is up and coming but there is no way she would boss that stage for  2 hours the way Taylor or Gaga would.

Increasingly getting the feeling Taylor won’t be there, but also getting the feeling Gaga’s time has arrived. Her new album plus all her back catalogue - what a show she would put on.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, circus92 said:

This.

I would be devastated if Taylor dropped out, but Gaga replacing her would be the only equivalent option.  Billie is not even close to being in the same league - I get that she is up and coming but there is no way she would boss that stage for  2 hours the way Taylor or Gaga would.

Increasingly getting the feeling Taylor won’t be there, but also getting the feeling Gaga’s time has arrived. Her new album plus all her back catalogue - what a show she would put on.

Absolutely agree there and it would be a very different type of show for sure. I do think she'd smash it though. Gaga would be a great replacement in the sense that you'll have the same career spanning set, mix of bangers and ballads, variety of genres etc. 

Personally I'd take Billie and Gaga if the 2020 headliners are gutted! Let's hope we get announcements on em both soon.

Edit: we best keep this thread on topic from now on so we don't clutter the thread. My fault for diverting this off topic! 

Edited by jparx