Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

12 hours ago, henry bear said:

Unless they’re now looking for alternative headliners

But then you would Have to argue how Glasto could take a Reading/Leeds  headliner away from them. I doubt anyone would complain about them going back 2 months after thise MK dates anyway.

13 hours ago, Suprefan said:

MCR has their europe dates also, but Yes, still has the gap on the calendar. They should still be a secret set and not on the poster most likely

After initially poo-pooing then being there I’ve now got the idea in my head that they were the missing Sunday Pyramid sub.

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

After initially poo-pooing then being there I’ve now got the idea in my head that they were the missing Sunday Pyramid sub.

That would be an outrageous booking. I can't believe it just for how much that would be rubbing salt in the wounds.

I wonder if they could be in the frame to headline if everything falls through and the festival have to start clamouring around for acts? They would be something different compared to your dreaded Kasabians who are lurking in the shadows and there would be decent enough buzz around the reunion aspect that it could offset the fact they're arguably not "big" enough.

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

That would be an outrageous booking. I can't believe it just for how much that would be rubbing salt in the wounds.

I wonder if they could be in the frame to headline if everything falls through and the festival have to start clamouring around for acts? They would be something different compared to your dreaded Kasabians who are lurking in the shadows and there would be decent enough buzz around the reunion aspect that it could offset the fact they're arguably not "big" enough.

Did plan three nights at that stadium in MK so I don’t think size would be an issue, but it would be a very unusual headliner and much safer and bigger ones will be available.

Am I right in thinking they were only headlining fests this year? Like they supposedly pulled out of Coachella for not wanting to support and then all the rumours about Mad Cool and Rock Werchter didn’t bear fruit either. I guess that would add to why they’d be ‘held back’ or even a ‘special guest’ but then would they make exception for Glastonbury and not the life changing sums of Coachella?

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Did plan three nights at that stadium in MK so I don’t think size would be an issue, but it would be a very unusual headliner and much safer and bigger ones will be available.

Am I right in thinking they were only headlining fests this year? Like they supposedly pulled out of Coachella for not wanting to support and then all the rumours about Mad Cool and Rock Werchter didn’t bear fruit either. I guess that would add to why they’d be ‘held back’ or even a ‘special guest’ but then would they make exception for Glastonbury and not the life changing sums of Coachella?

That's the bit I struggle with.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah it’s more wishful thinking along with us having a missing sub and them being in the UK at the time more than anything. I’m not sure how much truth there was to the Coachella thing but if true then it might put the kibosh on Glastonbury happening, but they might just want to play and realise that headlining is never gonna happen.

Did we have any other likely contenders who were touring around the time, assuming the sub couldn’t have been on the poster?

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah it’s more wishful thinking along with us having a missing sub and them being in the UK at the time more than anything. I’m not sure how much truth there was to the Coachella thing but if true then it might put the kibosh on Glastonbury happening, but they might just want to play and realise that headlining is never gonna happen.

Did we have any other likely contenders who were touring around the time, assuming the sub couldn’t have been on the poster?

I think another contender was Billie Eilish? And Alicia Keys was definitely around the UK at the time but no one looked a dead cert to me. 

Just now, Kalopsia said:

I think another contender was Billie Eilish? And Alicia Keys was definitely around the UK at the time but no one looked a dead cert to me. 

Ah yeah. Alicia Keys doesn’t seem like a sub to me, although I’d be down for her doing it. Billie is a weird one as I’m still not sure they’d have her back so soon without any real new material (Bond song aside) but I suppose she has gone stratospheric since being booked for the 2019 festival. Probably more likely than MCR though, especially before Taylor. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I maintain that it would be impossible for Glastonbury’s 50th birthday to pass without an appearance by Chris Martin and co.

I remain suspicious that there was going to be a “Special Guest” scenario with them being announced last minute.

I dunno... he made a point of pointing out the criticism of him popping up all over the place in 2019 and that he wouldn’t make the same mistake again in 2020, so would be strange for him to not only do it but do it in the next notch down to a headliner slot. Not that it wouldn’t be very well received overall, but I feel like he already paid tribute to the festival in ‘19.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I dunno... he made a point of pointing out the criticism of him popping up all over the place in 2019 and that he wouldn’t make the same mistake again in 2020, so would be strange for him to not only do it but do it in the next notch down to a headliner slot. Not that it wouldn’t be very well received overall, but I feel like he already paid tribute to the festival in ‘19.

I dunno back.... if they asked him would he say no? The Eavii clearly love him and sticking them in a non- headliner slot sidesteps some of the criticism around them headlining yet again.

I’m certain they would have popped up in some capacity.

1 minute ago, Big durbs said:

Guy Garvey was on Joules last night and confirmed he was booked to play the pyramid stage this year , chances are this will roll over .

He basically self confirmed, his words were something along the lines of “it will happen”.

3 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

i must admit , my thinking has changed in the whole chris martin thing , i know he got some stick for " poping " up everywhere last year . but after reading his section in the Glasto 50 book its obvious how passionate he is about Glastonbury he loves it as much as the rest of us , if not more .    

This. The constant knocking of Chris Martin on here is so tiresome. 

3 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

This. The constant knocking of Chris Martin on here is so tiresome. 

I don't think they had any business headlining this year but I've a lot of time for him. Comes across as a decent bloke and plenty of examples of him not taking himself too seriously. 

Plus Parachutes, AROBTTH and Viva La Vida are all great records. 

6 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

He basically self confirmed, his words were something along the lines of “it will happen”.

Based on tour dates and random comments like this we really are going to get a massive majority of the announced acts back

We need confirmation of Billie touring next year. If she's around I'd put her as the most likely replacement headliner. Would be such a no brainer even if there's no new album by then (although I imagine she will at least have another single or two).

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

We need confirmation of Billie touring next year. If she's around I'd put her as the most likely replacement headliner. Would be such a no brainer even if there's no new album by then (although I imagine she will at least have another single or two).

She was already working on new music in the December - Jan period. I imagine that by next summer there will new stuff.

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

If I lose Paul Mccartney and end up with Billie or The 1975 I’m going to be so upset.

Although saying being said, as long as it’s happening I’ll be happy for anyone to headline. 

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

She was already working on new music in the December - Jan period. I imagine that by next summer there will new stuff.

The second Billie announces shows next summer I'm going to lock her in as my firm prediction for 2021. It would be a major result for Glastonbury if other festivals are going with weaker replacements and Glastonbury pulls out Billie.

No idea on the others.

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

The second Billie announced shows next summer I'm going to lock her in as my firm prediction for 2021. It would be a major result for Glastonbury if other festivals are going with weaker replacements and Glastonbury pulls out Billie.

No idea on the others.

Will she be the youngest artist to headline the pyramid? I really think it needs to happen.